Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

Last Chance posted:

FM transmitters sound like boiled butthole

The ones that go in-line between the antenna and the head unit are okay. That's how I had my SiriusXM hooked up before I got a new HU with bluetooth and started just streaming from my phone. They are a massive pain in the rear end to install, though, since you have to pull the radio and route the cable out from some gap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

Mr Crucial posted:

This was a fresh download of the ISO from Microsoft, and I didn't install any software at all other than VMWare tools (a possible culprit) and the latest round of updates. Looking at my working Win 10 machine it has around 50ish root certs in there, whilst the non-working one only has about 12 - it's missing the major CAs like Verisign, Thawte, Geosign etc. Somehow during the course of running the installation the root certs just haven't been added.

I guess I'll leave it for a day or two and see if it fixes itself through auto updates.

It's not like you have anything to lose by doing a fresh install again (preferably with a newly downloaded ISO). Who knows what else is broken.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.
Is there a way to tell why Mail and Calendar keep closing/crashing? I just got (as in less than a week ago) a Lenovo Yoga 920 and for some reason Mail (and Calendar, if I have it open) keep closing randomly. But there's no error notification or indication that they crashed. They'll run for some time (like at least 5-15 minutes) but then I'll look down at the taskbar and they're just not open anymore. I tried resetting mail and I've run the Windows App troubleshooter twice but it's still doing it.

Edit to add: I have five accounts in Mail: my personal gmail, a managed gmail for my university account, an imap account for work, an icloud account, and my outlook account.

Magnus Praeda fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Dec 12, 2017

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

baka kaba posted:

^^^ is there anything in Event Viewer?

Not that I can find, but honestly I'm not even sure what I'm looking for. I do have a bunch of "Event 17" "A corrected hardware error has occurred" listed under System events but that seems to be related to something on the PCI-E root port (which is also concerning but I'll check if there are any updates from Lenovo for the BIOS or chipset).

Edit: updating the BIOS seems to have cleared up the "event 17" issue and possibly the mail issue as well. It's been open and stable for the last hour-ish.

Edit 2: Nope. Mail's still crashing and I still don't see anything in Event Viewer to indicate a cause.

Magnus Praeda fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Dec 12, 2017

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

Flipperwaldt posted:

I have nothing for you but the message that this is happening to me too. But I don't spend a lot of time in them or try to keep them open, so I'm not often confronted with it. I'm assuming it came with an update of the app and hope it soon will be fixed with another update eventually.

Hopefully. I hadn't noticed it on my desktop but since that's only for games and youtube/plex, I don't really ever use it except to hit the delete button when a new mail notification pops up. But I use my laptop for work and I prefer the simplicity of the built-in mail and calendar to Outlook.

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Try resetting the app under Apps and Features > Mail and Calendar > Advanced, it might do something. If not, perhaps remove all the accounts, and if it manages to stay open then add them one by one to see if one causes an issue.

I did try resetting the app and, aside from it disappearing from my start menu for several hours before reinstalling itself, it didn't seem to do anything and definitely didn't fix the problem. I'll try removing and re-adding the accounts next. I just wish there was a crash log somewhere since at least that would help me troubleshoot but, as I said earlier, there doesn't appear to be anything related to these crashes in the Event Viewer.

Klyith posted:

If you having AppX problems I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but
code:
Get-AppxPackage -allusers | Remove-AppxPackage
ain't one

Weirdly, I actually like and use a lot of the built-in apps and the ones I don't use, I can ignore.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.
Just updated to 1803 a couple days ago on my laptop (Yoga 920) and ever since the update, the new Task View only works intermittently. It'll work for a bit on a clean boot then randomly stop responding until I restart again. It doesn't matter if I hit the Task View button or use the three-finger upward swipe gesture. Unfortunately, all the results I'm finding on Google are for issues from a couple years ago. Anyone else having issues with this?

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

c0burn posted:

Does the issue persist on a clean user profile?

Haven't tried that yet. I'll have to test it when I get home. I may also just do a reset or even a full reinstall since I've been getting occasional PDC_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT errors waking from sleep as well.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

Ofecks posted:

Well poo poo. I'm an old coot and buy all my music in file form, either MP3s from Google or FLACs from Bandcamp. I take it they won't be selling MP3s anymore? I really don't want to go back to iTunes since they hosed me over on a deluxe album I bought a few years back.

Same. I have been using Amazon Music since it's often cheaper to buy the CD or even vinyl and get the AutoRip MP3s but I'm coming to the conclusion that I'm going to be better off just using my plex server for music as well as movies/TV.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

astral posted:

I hated when I had a (Nexus) Android device and a new OS version I wanted rolled out. I'd click "Check for updates" and it would tell me I had the latest version; if I wanted to update I either had to wait up to a few weeks for the OTA rollout or hunt down some files and have to plug in the device to my computer to do it manually.

Microsoft is in the wrong for not testing/fixing things well enough before releasing new versions. That's what people should be getting worked up over, and not whether the button itself is working as intended.

Yeah, if I hit the "check for updates" button, I want whatever the most recent update is to download and install now. What I don't want is for that most recent update to be a bug-ridden piece of poo poo because Microsoft decided to fire their QA department and made me do it as part of using their OS.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.
Is there any real reason to keep the manufacturer's partition vs. blowing it away and reclaiming that space? Lenovo decided that they needed a whole 25GB of space at the end of my drive and, as far as I can tell, it's only use is holding 1.5GB of drivers that are all probably woefully out of date. I can't just shrink it down, either, because it sticks the free space at the end of the partition and can't be added to the C drive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

Lambert posted:

There isn't, unless you like pre-installed trash.

isndl posted:

In theory the manufacturer could use their little partition in all sorts of useful ways and they might make use of the space in their software but odds are you don't want their software anyways so just nuke it. Fancier partition software would let you resize the partitions intelligently but it's not worth the hassle for old drivers, you know how to grab them off the website and put it on a USB stick if necessary.

That's kinda what I figured. If they'd sized it non-stupidly like 2-5GB I would have cared significantly less but it's really glaring to see 23-ish gigs of free space on there.