Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

Just as an item of interest, the new Win 10 Dell desktop machine I bought to run my CNC router table doesn't even have a Windows key sticker on the case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

socialsecurity posted:

They haven't come with stickers in years since 8 really.
Ah! Did not know that. The one Win 8 box I own does have a sticker, but now that I think about it, I'm pretty sure it's the only Win 8 box I've ever looked at that closely.

Sir Unimaginative posted:

EFI allows license keys to be stored in firmware and - in the rare event you'd have to install from media - drop right into the product key line.
That I did know, I just thought the lack of a sticker was interesting...but I have very recently learned that it's the more common practice these days. :D

Acid Reflux fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Aug 13, 2015

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

Lum posted:

Also the latest WinAero Tweaker lets you enable the Aero Lite theme which has coloured titlebars without the bugginess of the other method.

Holy poo poo, thank you so very much for that link. I can actually differentiate the active and inactive windows now, and with the white text on title bars reinstated, I can also read what they are. The poorly thought out visuals have been my only real complaint with 10 so far, and now that's more under my control again.

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

I'm baffled by my inability to stop windows from snapping/sticking to the edge of the screen in 10. Anything that gets within 20px or so of any border (including the transition between the two monitors) will vacu-suck itself to the edge. It's been annoying the hell out of me for a long time. All the Snap settings are disabled, "Prevent windows from being automatically arranged when moved to the edge of the screen" is checked in both the mouse and keyboard Accessibility settings, and it still just won't loving stop. There's probably another switch I'm missing somewhere, but Ill be damned if I can find it. Any ideas?

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

redeyes posted:

Settings -> System -> Multitasking

Acid Reflux posted:

All the Snap settings are disabled

I got those already :) Thanks though! This is why it's confusing me so much, I can't find any other settings that would be pertinent besides those and the Accessibility ones. It should "just work". Or not work, as it were.

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

isndl posted:

I just toggled the "Arrange windows automatically by dragging them to the sides or corners of the screen" multitasking setting on my machine and it's working entirely as expected. The other three related Snap settings automatically grey out when Snap is disabled. Your previous post says you toggled the settings under both the Mouse settings and the Keyboard settings, which makes no sense to me as neither of those settings menus should have anything related to Snapping. Is your Windows fully up to date?

I didn't think the Accessibility settings would really have anything to do with it either, but it was the only other even remotely relevant thing that Google pointed me at. My installation is up to date on the slow ring as far as I know...I let it update when it wants to, always have. Maybe I should switch to fast ring and see if anything changes for me on a newer build.

quote:

Also note that some applications will perform window alignment tasks on their own and not as a result of Windows interfering. For example, Steam will align its windows to the edges of your screen if you move them close enough regardless of Windows Snap settings.

It happens with every program, every window. Again, this is why I'm so friggin' confused. I'm not new at this whole Windows thing by any means, and rarely do I reach a point where I just throw my hands up in defeat, but I'm getting there this time. Ugh. It's really a minor annoyance in the grand scheme of things and I probably shouldn't let it bother me so much, but here we are anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

Holy poo poo, I'm an idiot.

Guess what "feature" DisplayFusion has enabled by default? *grumble, mutter, expletive*

All is right with the world again. I'm going to crawl back into my hole.