Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Rusty! posted:

Does it have a desktop watermark?

Affirmative.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Good news for the latest Windows 10 patch Tuesday patches for January 2016 - seems to have fixed the resume from sleep login issue. The screen now responds to a keyboard press to allow you to log back in, whereas before in some cases you needed to click the screen.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

ILikeVoltron posted:

You know, I thought it was weird the one time I logged into my desktop while this was a problem, then I never saw it again.

I spoke too soon. On my friend's laptop here, if I put it to Sleep via the Start menu and don't close the lid, the keyboard works fine. If I close the lid and trigger Sleep, the screen needs to be clicked before it registers keyboard input. I think it's something to do with the graphics drivers because the screen seems to flash briefly when I open the lid again.

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

Finally got my bizarre search behavior largely ironed out, at least for the time being. Search would only sporadically give results from Settings in the main window, and searching from the new Settings CP directly would only reveal the older control panel entries or often nothing at all. Search would continually complain that it was still indexing, results would be unpredictable, image placeholders would be missing from My Stuff searches, etc.

The 'solution' was just to rebuild the index (which I've already done many times before) but perhaps the latest update finally fixed the underlying issue and the index rebuild was still required to complete the fix. Finally getting consistent results now.

The only possible regression in behavior from before that I can see is that any documents outside of the local Documents/Music/Files etc folders, despite being included in Libraries, don't show up from the main search window and I'm always required to click My Stuff to get results from them. I thought this might be due to redirecting my Onedrive from the standard location inside my User folder to D: to save space on my SSD, but my Google Drive results aren't returned either - and it's under my User folder. I've removed and re-added these folders to the existing Libraries with no change, always required to click My Stuff to get results for local files that don't exist in the standard User folders.

Again though, the results I got before were so random this may have been the intended behavior all along and now it's actually working as designed, it's at least predictable behavior (soon as I save a document insider c:\users\username\documents it's returned in the first search window immediately). Still a bit annoying - does everyone else have to click My Stuff to get file hits from folders outside of the standard local folder within user?

Edit: This is apparently normal behavoir, search results from the primary search window will not show files outside of C:\Users, regardless if they are in a library or not. So if you change the location of Onedrive to another drive, you'll have to click My Stuff to get results (which is dumb).

The reason I wasn't getting Google Drive results even though it's folder was still in C:\Users was because indexing wasn't working on it at all as the SYSTEM user was completely missing from the primary folder. Added it back with full permissions and I'm getting gdrive search results at least.

Search is hands down my biggest disappointment with Windows 10. It's even worse than Windows 8.1, at least there I could hit Winkey + F to search for files.

I have the same issue as you. I have most of my stuff stored on a secondary internal drive and the Start menu search is a joke. The cynic in me thinks they're just trying to boost the number of Bing searches registered or something. The technology is there to make searching good - the Windows 7-style Start menu in Start10 brings back search that actually frigging works.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

hooah posted:

I've been using Everything for a few years and it's never let me down.

Is there a keyboard shortcut to activate Everything from anywhere?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

MeKeV posted:

It's in the Everything settings. I have mine as Win+ALT+S. Works as long as the Everything sys tray is running. Though I mostly just click the taskbar shortcut.

Which specific field do I fill in?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

New Insider build out for fast track:

https://www.thurrott.com/windows/windows-10/64064/microsoft-has-released-a-new-build-of-windows-10-11102

If you game on your machine, read the release notes before installing.

Lovely, thanks very much.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Jan posted:

Oh, derp.

I'm on 10.0.10240. Apparently this is what Defer Upgrades does, rather than let you choose when to install updates as I'd previously read. Guess I'll untick that option whenever I have the time to deal with this.

You can grab the Media Creation Tool and use it to update to the November release at least. Lots of tweaks here and there.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

redeyes posted:

Been using Everything search for years now. How the gently caress can MS have their search engine be so broken and slow. Un-loving-real!

What gets me is the regression since Windows 7. It was fast and useful then, now it's even worse than on Windows 8.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Combat Pretzel posted:

So yeah, I've installed Windows 10 Home on my new machine, this time on bare metal instead of a VM. I check the device manager and I have like a trillion Base System Devices with Code 28 Driver Not Installed. The hell is that about? Mainboard is an ASRock X99 Extreme4 with an Intel 5820K.

Pudding: http://i.imgur.com/QjaauKp.png

I know you're an advanced computer science guy, but make sure you've installed all the latest updates since Windows Update is now much better at grabbing latest drivers for things than previous versions.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Boris Galerkin posted:

I just deleted everything and hit next without partition and here's what it's telling me:

"Windows could not prepare the computer to boot into the next phase of installation. To install Windows, restart the installation."

Try downloading a fresh ISO using the Media Creation Tool. Just clutching at straws but it's what I'd do next.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

redeyes posted:

They fixed up Edge a bit. Definitely better all around.

What did they fix up?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Are you using a third party antivirus? NOD32 caused me really weird network connectivity issues on Insider builds that resolved when I uninstalled it.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Sir Unimaginative posted:

Also a Windows 10 disk made since November (a new set including all the February updates went out on March 4)

How do you know the images were updated on 4th March?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Sir Unimaginative posted:

Media Creation Tool's images are updated when the MSDN/TechBench/other-OS Windows 10 install images are. Actually it's from February according to the internals but it went up on the 4th.

Good to know, thanks.

Has anyone got the updated Outlook.com/Hotmail web interface yet? I'm still looking at the 2012 version.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Good to know, thanks.

Has anyone got the updated Outlook.com/Hotmail web interface yet? I'm still looking at the 2012 version.

Anyone?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

I can't get on the Insider program. I go to Windows Update and tell it to "Get started" on the builds, but after a restart the option hasn't changed. I'm running a fully patched Windows 10 x64. Any ideas on how to proceed?

Edit: Nevermind, I made a new user account and it worked through that.

WattsvilleBlues fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Apr 6, 2016

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Windows 10 doesn't allow you to install it into systems with less than 1GB RAM. Windows 7 went onto machines with 512MB.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

The Goatfather posted:

I'm having a strange issue- my win10 pc started trying to get an update yesterday, but on reboot it doesn't install. There's no "updating windows" stuff at all during reboot, it just shuts straight down, boots straight back to the desktop and prompts to schedule a reboot to update again. Any ideas?

This is just a guess, but type Recovery into the start menu and to to the modern settings app option. There should be a Restart now option or something similar, which will take you to a blue screen (not the bad kind) where you can Troubleshoot stuff. The options there are different on different computers but have a look through and see if there's anything that let's you restart the computer.

I think there's a menu item to change startup behaviour or boot into UEFI. If you do that, the restart the machine without making any changes to the startup behaviour, it might install the updates.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Problem?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Facebook and Facebook Messenger Windows 10 apps are now available from the Windows Store. They're surprisingly decent.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

nielsm posted:

Sounds like Microsoft is following through with having just one year for free upgrades.

Ugh, terrible idea.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

I've just realised that I'll have to buy Windows 10 again on the next computer I build. This sucks. I got Windows 8 Pro on release day for the £25 Microsoft charged at that time, and it was a great offer. The only Pro feature I use really is BitLocker on my hard drives, but it's an important one I don't want to do without. I can't face paying the ridiculous standard price for a Pro license though.

If they do bin the free upgrade offer as expected, they should at least make the licenses a hell of a lot cheaper.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Malloc Voidstar posted:

Decided to finally upgrade to 10 from 7. svchost.exe -k netsvcs has been using one core @ 100% for half an hour now, download hasn't even started. Do I just wait a few hours or something?

No, Something Happened.

I suggest downloading the Windows 10 media creation tool, create bootable media and enter your Windows 7 product key to activate it.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

EmmyOk posted:

Is there a way to tidy up my installed programs list in the control panel? I hate that all the .net stuff has like 50 entries for all the different things :saddowns:

CCleaner has this functionality. You can delete individual entries using it.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

With the Anniversary Update bringing new features etc., surely it makes no sense for Microsoft to cut off free upgrades right when it's released?

Maybe they'll extend the offer for another month or two after it's out?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Anyone using the new Insider Build 14352 have the speaker icon in the system tray show up as Muted even though the sound is on?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

xamphear posted:

Fast Ringers: How is the anniversary update shaping up as compared to Build 10240? I haven't budged from that yet, but I was thinking about sucking it up and upgrade-installing when there's an ISO available with the new summer build.

What's new/good/fixed? What's worse? Have even more control panels disappeared into the Settings app, never to be heard from again? Is it possible to shuffle backgrounds yet without using regedit or digging up a link to the old-style Desktop Background control panel?

xamphear son, how have you managed to stay on that build?

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10

Please use the Media Creation Tool to make an ISO and upgrade yourself immediately. I don't even think 10240 even gets security updates anymore. The upgrade process is quite painless and there's no need to wait for the Anniversary Update.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

xamphear posted:

LTSB. I don't want to do full upgrade installs more than once a year, tops. Even once a year is pushing it. Upgrade installs have certainly gotten a lot better over the years, but they still result in a bunch of effort after the fact. With any luck the anniversary upgrade will have stopped stealing default program associations and I'll have completely sidestepped that minor shitshow.

VVV: ok? thanks?

It's really quite painless these days. On my 4 year old machine it installs in about 20 minutes.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Anyone on the last few Insiders builds been having crackling sounds when playing sound? Uninstalling the sound driver and rebooting fixes it for a while before it starts again.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

surf rock posted:

I finally decided to upgrade to Windows 10 from 7, but when I tell it to download, the pop-up just gets stuck on a "starting download" screen and doesn't go anywhere from there. Help?

Edit: Nevermind, downloading this looks like it fixed it. I'll update this post again if it doesn't work.

That link downloads the original July 2015 build 10240 image of Windows 10 so far as I know.

Windows 10
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10/

This one grabs the latest image.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Flipperwaldt posted:

It's the exact same link, but for Australians. I think you misread or something.

The original Media Creation Tool that came in 32- and 64-bit variants still downloads the 10240 build. The Media Creation Tool that I linked, that is a single tool for 32- and 64-bit, should download the 1511 version with updates up to May 2016.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Is there a way to change display scaling for modern apps? Facebook messenger is not usable when it's activated. I thought modern apps were meant to natively support it?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

When the free upgrade offer ends they really need to sell Windows 10 at a low price. Sell it for £10 or something. It needs to remain a no-brainer.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

stevewm posted:

Derp, yeah, I meant 1511.

Ah so a ISO with 1511 included exists?

I know the official utility from MS' website to make a Windows 10 installer doesn't include it yet...

If you download a fresh copy of the latest Media Creation Tool, it will download version 1511 with updates up to April 2016.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10

WattsvilleBlues fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Jun 17, 2016

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Is there a way to increase the size of the text in the File Explorer toolbar area?

I've already increased the size of text using the Display settings in Control Panel, but it doesn't affect the text above.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

necrotic posted:

I wonder if they fixed calc.exe, too. I've had issues alt-tabbing back to it and having the hamburger selected instead. its a loving calculator, let me type digits!

Should be fixed.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Is there a way to increase the size of the text in the File Explorer toolbar area?

I've already increased the size of text using the Display settings in Control Panel, but it doesn't affect the text above.

Anyone? This makes me :smith:

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

sauer kraut posted:

Finally pushed that button yesterday and it's great :confused:
Tinkered with some leftover Win7 drivers like my cases dumb cardreader that I never use, Intels USB3.0 thing and the usual Realtek crap, but overall a painless migration.
The new flat UI style is.. really something. And so many hidden options in every app.

Sarcasm?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

ufarn posted:

Putting it in a case slot, where there is no USB 3, did the trick. Probably my 6yo mobo's poor USB 3 support.

Some mobos won't detect USB drives at boot time if they're formatted as NTFS. Formatting it as FAT32 resolves this, if that's the issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

WorkingStiff posted:

Anyone know of a way to have 10 not install the offending video driver during install? Also, is there a newer .iso available than the one the media creation tool churns out? I just compared them, and it's the same install file from last year that I initially used on another PC...

Download a fresh copy of the Media Creation Tool. It's got all the updates for version 1511 up to April 2016 included.