Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

CaptainSarcastic posted:

It's not showing up when I automatically check for updates on my lone Windows 11 device, and I was just about to go manually install it when I remembered this is a Windows Update we're talking about. I think I'll give it a day or two to see if news comes out that it does something like make printers sentient and bloodthirsty, or delete all my data on this machine and the 5 that I've owned previously or something like that before pulling the trigger on the update.

Fair enough idea, the good thing is that the build and its incremental updates have been in the release preview channel for a few months now and there don't seem to be any showstoppers. The latest cumulative update was released on 13th September and it all seems fairly unexciting, which is what you want.

I haven't installed StartAllBack since I upgraded to 22H2 a few months ago and my workflow hasn't needed to change. Still amazes me that they took a year to add drag and drop on the taskbar, I really wonder who's in charge over there.

The Media Creation Tool lets you download any locale, I'm not sure why they supply direct download links to specific languages outside of it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

101 posted:

How have people found installing 11 on an unsupported system? I have an i7-7700K and don't really use my PC enough atm to justify a hardware upgrade, but I like shiny new software updates.

I have it installed on our ancient Ivy Bridge-era laptop, a dual core hyperthrraded affair with 4GB RAM. Just used good old Rufus to create the disc image from the ISO and I've had no problems with it for a year, with the expectation that a future update could fail.

Can you dual boot to see what it runs like for a few days before deciding whether to hose the disk and reinstall completely?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Windows 10 22H2 is now officially released. Get your ISOs here:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10ISO?d2784474-fdb0-4e9d-9e47-5e88c0e053ec=True

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Ofecks posted:

Did they skip 22H1? I'm still running 21H2 and I don't recall seeing any notification for H1.

Microsoft has switched back to yearly updates for Windows 10 as of 21H2 and I think there will be precious little feature development until its retired. It'll still get at least another few years of bug fixes and security updates of course.

E:F,b.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

redeyes posted:

Im shell shocked from Win 11 22H2 eating poo poo on my 12th gen Intel. Full system freezes! Downgraded to Win 10 and full stability back. I don't like this one bit, no sir.

poo poo, were you able to find out what the problem was? (Joke answer: Windows 11)

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Sri.Theo posted:

I do not know what to modify. It's for Amazon, which I've just started to sell on, the biggest retailer on the planet with the shittiest back end. I always wondered why there are so many errors on Amazon pages and from what I can see there's no way to really manipulate the product description (which has a 3,000 character limit) outside of a tiny single-line box. Plus, there's no preview feature so you just have to make changes and wait 15 minutes for it to display on the website.

It's pretty crazy how difficult the website is to use.

For your sanity, type the description into Notepad or whatever to start with, then just copy and paste the text.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Sri.Theo posted:

Windows key + V is a very helpful shortcut for pasting multiple text snippets. What would be great if you could set it to paste as ‘value’ so it wouldn’t include links, bolds, italics etc.

Does anyone know if that’s possible?

Ctrl + Shift + V?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

redeyes posted:

There is a update which is KB5021233 and is causing computers to blue screen with a 21a error code. The fix is get to a command prompt via recovery. Xcopy C:\windows\system32\drivers\hidparse.sys c:\windows\system32\hidparse.sys and let it overwrite the file. Presto!

Is it exclusive to Windows 10 or is 11 affected too?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

MonsterEnvy posted:

B was originally E but in my haste to fix things, I reformatted it and copied everything over. Which caused it's new letter to be B.

Another thing I regret.

If you're looking your old documents and files etc., check each of those drives for a folder called Windows.old - if you find that, navigate to the Users folder and see if you can recover files.

But I'd concur with the above recommendation to have someone who knows what they're doing to assist you in person. It can take a few minutes to make a hash of a computer, and one could waste weeks trying to rectify it.

Many of us will be speaking from experience here.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

MonsterEnvy posted:

Yeah I have a proper tech person coming over, and my old data is being recovered.

Excellent. What I would do is back up all your data, format all your drives, install Windows on the SSD, assign drive letters to the ones you want to use for data storage and transfer your files back across.

After that it's just a matter of reinstalling and configuring your programs.

Do you have any cloud storage accounts? If not, that's an easy recommend.

Edit: Assuming the hardware is all working correctly for the above.

I'm sure it's been stressful for you, I remember making an absolute bollocks of our first PC back in the mid-90s where it wouldn't boot for a few days because I did something stupid. Bear in mind that help wasn't really accessible.

I still remember the euphoria I felt when I figured out how to reinstall Windows 95.

WattsvilleBlues fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Jun 7, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Computer viking posted:

I managed to overwrite and then recover my MBR during a slightly stressful easter vacation in highschool when trying to install Solaris 8/x86 alongside FreeBSD, BeOS and Windows on a single disk. Definitely a learning occasion, but :ohdear:

No backups, ofc.

You monster. I got home from the bar drunk one night in 2005 and installed Windows Vista Beta 1 because I wanted pretty animations and the new UI. Lost that year's assignments for university. Plus, that's when betas were really betas, like the arm torture thing in Flash Gordon, or in Vista's case, Medusa's noggin.