Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

Flipperwaldt posted:

Just read a couple of days ago somwhere around these forums that it came with crap in the installer now. Don't remember what, but it sounded pretty bad.

That was likely SourceForge's doing. They had crapware wrappers around every installer downloaded for a long time. And that's all I can find about crap in FileZilla installers.

Ninite installing gets around it, and I'm pretty sure the SF thing is no longer an issue (new owners).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

Cerony posted:

I keep getting this issue where the Start button and the Taskbar become unresponsive. It's usually accompanied by other applications such as Pictures and Movies & TV not loading as well as videos in the browser stopping and becoming unplayable if I try to restart them. I haven't found a solution other than shutting down and restarting the laptop.

I haven't had a problem with pictures/video, but I have had the start menu randomly fail to load anything at all for several minutes at a time.

I'm use a EA build, however. So its half expected poo poo is broken.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
No, but I have had issues with playing files off a cifs mount. Usually works just fine, but sometimes playing will pause briefly. Seems like a network issue but I don't experience it with anything else. And 8.1 was just fine.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

My favorite is having to hit the windows key 2-4 times before typing will actually begin searching. it owns.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

Last Chance posted:

MS did fire their Windows QA team a while ago. That might've done it.

This plus management hell, I bet.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

Factor Mystic posted:

New fast ring build today. Recently relevant itc:

Guess I was right when I said

I wonder if they fixed calc.exe, too. I've had issues alt-tabbing back to it and having the hamburger selected instead. its a loving calculator, let me type digits!

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Should be fixed.

Thank gently caress. I use calc way too much and it was getting very frustrating.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

PerrineClostermann posted:

Never said it would, but it would definitely help.

Not as long as game devs keep using DirectX.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

xamphear posted:

Well, at a technical level these updates really aren't service packs, they're full OS reinstalls.

Wait, what? We haven't even gotten an SP for 10 yet... is the anniversary update a "full upgrade" like installing 10? That's loving dumb.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

dpbjinc posted:

There's already been one of these late last year, from 10240 to 10586. If you didn't notice, that's a sign that Microsoft is doing something right.

Ah, I didn't upgrade until after that release!

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

dpbjinc posted:

Fair enough. If you want to see how the upgrade will work, install a VM with an Insider Preview on it and switch to the Fast Ring. They're updated fairly frequently, and the upgrade process for them is the same as for Windows 10 upgrades.

Oh, I'm an insider. I haven't had any issues with upgrading/patching process, except for the "preparing your poo poo" screen which I now know can be prevented.

It could be a little faster but thats probably because of this "reinstall" thing, whatever that really means (isn't it just an upgrade, not a reinstall? like going 8 -> 10 or whatever?)

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

Combat Pretzel posted:

Odd choices, because these apps use the least amount of platform specific APIs due to portability.

Here's someone who setup i3 as a window manager and it all worked.

https://brianketelsen.com/i3-windows/

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I've been in the fast ring for some time without any issues, but now I have a rather major one. Preview 14936 is failing to install, and I'm getting a warning now that Windows will reboot randomly and eventually fail to boot entirely because my current build has expired.

What can I do? I've tried installing this build multiple times and it always reverts me.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
You can download a media creation kit. When installing don't enter a key (you can skip it), and post-install sign in with your Microsoft account. You are then activated.

I did this two days ago. Originally had upgraded from 8, attached 10 to my Live account and a fresh install went flawlessly. Activation is fine.

edit: didn't refresh :(

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

redeyes posted:

Was this the physical same hardware? If so, its just the normal digital entitlement.. hardware hash activation.

Oh word. I haven't tried on new hardware.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
From the license:

quote:

You may use the software for testing purposes only. You may not use the software for
commercial purposes
. You may not use the software in a live operating environment.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
edit whoops I can't read

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

Klyith posted:

did I claim to be?

you should try it, I'm actually pretty satisfied with how they handled being set to non-automatic. they get really persistent with the nags. if automatic mode did the same thing with the reboot -- ie never rebooting without the user's active agreement, but nagging the gently caress out of you if you ignore it -- I predict there would be no complaints and very few people would leave their computers unrebooted for weeks.

they wouldn't be automatic then??????

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

Dylan16807 posted:

So I tested not rebooting for several days after the last round of updates, and it popped up a window asking what day I wanted to schedule a reboot. Very good, really. So the mechanism to force rebooting without having unexpected reboots already exists.

It's not a dichotomy between "no reboots" and "unexpected reboots". Let's not treat it like one. If Microsoft removed the "reboot when 'idle'" code, other code would still force timely reboots. There would be no explosion of vulnerability. But it would be a lot less user-hostile.

Edit: It would also be nice if they stopped changing the mechanism without saying anything, because it didn't do the same thing the last time I put off rebooting for a week.

its "reboot when idle within this time period i configure" so, and they are plenty of indications it will happen before it does.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

Dylan16807 posted:

By "period I configure" do you mean active hours? Those don't help at all with the problem of "I left for the day and it installed updates and rebooted before I got back". There's no warning in that case.

Am I misunderstanding how that works? As far as I understand it, the only way to get reasonable behavior is to have something open that prevents the system from registering as idle.

why did you leave with unsaved stuff? and if its all saved who cares if it restarted to update?

i dont get why thats a problem at all.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

hooah posted:

I started using the Mail app for my Gmail account, but I noticed that it doesn't sync outgoing changes very quickly. For example if I delete an email on my computer, I won't see that change on my phone for at least several minutes (I haven't timed it yet). I changed the sync setting on the account in Mail to be "as items come in", but that didn't seem to have any effect.

I just found out Mail.appx won't send email, it just silently fails. How are you going to silently fail on 1 of 2 primary tasks? What a bullshit app.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
Microsoft Cloud OS

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

Is there some mechanism that stops the extensions from making network calls and leaking potentially identifiable information or are they just yolo-ing it?

No browser that allows extensions in private browsing has any safety mechanisms. This is why you choose which extensions run in that mode.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
probably most of them. its not sharing passwords its doing oauth or whatever

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
time to switch to ltsb or whatever they call it now

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
If you find one please share! My secondary monitor likes to pop out of existence after I walk away for a bit and I'd love a quick way to reorganize my windows.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

hooah posted:

How widespread is this? I've been using Firefox for at least ten years and I don't recall ever seeing anything like what you're describing.

They did it once for Mr. Robot https://blog.mozilla.org/firefox/update-looking-glass-add/

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
Perhaps Cliqz? https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/privacy/archive/firefox-cliqz/2018-06/

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

wolrah posted:

I forget which Linux distro I used in the past, but it had what I thought was the best solution to this on boot. Normally the graphical boot splash would come up with a progress bar. If it stalled anywhere for a long time it showed what step it was on. If you pressed Escape it went away and showed you the full standard Linux boot console I don't know if that's still a thing, I honestly don't see the boot screen often enough or long enough to think about it.

The same principle could easily be extended to basically everywhere there's a progress bar that's indicating anything more complicated than a simple file transfer. Show the simple, friendly UI by default, if things take longer than expected give us some info, and most importantly let us see exactly what's going on if we want to.

I just updated my laptop from Ubuntu 18.04 to 19.04 last night and the update process got the important parts of that right. It doesn't have a full simplified UI so it displays the exact step all the time, but there's a button that'll expand the dialog and show the processes running in a terminal that are ultimately actually doing things.

You can usually hit ctrl-alt-f2 or something like that to always reach a console from the WM.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

hooah posted:

I have no comment on either of these complaints ("works fine for me"), but it's the most standards-compliant browser. Google's sure as hell looking to pull what Microsoft did in the 90s with IE in terms of market share > standards.

There will always be a browser that dominates and pushes its own brand of poo poo out. At least chrome is mostly playing nice with how they are pushing their own brand of poo poo. It's still a breath of fresh air from when IE reined.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
Check activity monitor or whatever it's called in windows to see what's using the disk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
The paid tier is super affordable, if you do end up needing it.