Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up

berzerkmonkey posted:

Has anyone tried an upgrade in a domain environment? We've got 300-ish Win 7 PCs and want to do a Win 10 rollout as painlessly as possible. Unfortunately, our network speeds suck rear end, but I can't seem to find any way to download the source files to USB and install from there. Currently, the steps are:

Remove PC from domain
Install required KBs (2952664 and 3035583)
Wait for MS to activate the flag
Reserve the software (probably an unnecessary step)
Wait (sometimes for days) for MS to give the green light for the upgrade
Download and update in place
Rejoin domain

Obviously, it's insane for us to go to the PC location, remove it, expect a user to be without a PC for multiple days, and literally twiddle our thumbs while MS slowly rolls out the update.

Has anyone found an alternative? I'd love to come in with a USB drive, force the two KBs, then install from the drive...

I've tried the Windows 10 Download Tool, but it keeps asking for a license key, and will not accept the upgrade key that I can pull from previous Win 10 upgrades (tells me it's a full version and I can't use an upgrade key.) Also, people are talking about a "Skip" button when the installer asks for a key, but I have yet to see that.

Way more steps than needed.

No need to leave and rejoin the domain, no need to install the two updates.

Try running wuauclt /upgradenow from an elevated command prompt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up

berzerkmonkey posted:

I'm guessing the fact that we are in a WSUS environment, I can't force an upgrade?
Yeah that would stop it

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up
Ooh look what's back...

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up
At the end of a work day, I don't give a gently caress how long my PC takes to turn off :D

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up
Open a command prompt and the build number will be at the top.

To roll back look in the update and recovery settings, or hold a shift key and reboot the computer, then go to troubleshooting.

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up

ThermoPhysical posted:

Yeah, I have the Candy Crush problem too. It's weird because I never installed it or even thought about installing it.

What's the difference between BIOS and UEFI? I think my board can switch between the two...maybe?

It will probably have a CSM option in there, which is basically enabling BIOS mode on a UEFI board. UEFI boots faster, in a nutshell.

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up

ThermoPhysical posted:

Hmm.... it's the Gigabyte Z170Z-G7, would that be UEFI or BIOS?

UEFI

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up

frunksock posted:

My current PC has Windows 7 but I have no idea where the product key is. I'm building a new PC and I'd like to start with a clean install of Windows 10 on it. Do I have any options? I'm guessing I could put the disk from my old PC into the new one, get Windows 7 to come to terms with the fact that it's a new PC, and then upgrade, but I'd much rather have a clean Windows 10 install, even though I won't be using the old PC anymore. Do I have to give MS $200 or whatever?

Use a keyfinder to get your product key.

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up
Nicked off Reddit, but MS really want people on W10:

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up

JohnnyCanuck posted:

Does anyone else have the thing where numlock is turned on by default in the BIOS, but the moment Windows loads it gets turned off?

Yes, crap for PIN unlock

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up

Lowtechs posted:

Just installed the 11099 release and it is listed as Build 11099.rs1_release.160109-1156 so might be the next public release build.

Does it have a desktop watermark? That's the usual telltale for a public release build.

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Good to know, thanks.

Has anyone got the updated Outlook.com/Hotmail web interface yet? I'm still looking at the 2012 version.

Yeah got it a couple of days ago. I'm an Office 365 user, so big improvement for me.

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up

Nostratic posted:

I double checked my CPU and it's an i5, so I should be good.
Without a doubt.

Even first gen i5 would be absolutely fine.

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up

lostleaf posted:

Is there some way to upgrade from win 10 home to pro? I have a ton of win 7 ultimate keys.
If just putting the Ultimate key in doesn't do it, input the generic Pro key to upgrade, then activate it with one of the Ultimate keys.

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up

ToxicFrog posted:

Apropos of my earlier "will upgrading to win10 and then swapping motherboards after the upgrade window expires nuke my win10 install" question, apparently some people have successfully done it within the upgrade window, by swapping motherboards and then calling MS support to re-activate. And there's this tweet from some guy at microsoft saying that this should work in general (as it did for win7 and win8).

On the flip side, there's also a lot of people reporting that MS support doesn't seem to have gotten the memo, there's no formal commitment to this policy, and there's no assurance that it will continue to work after the upgrade window expires. :sigh:

I swapped my motherboard/CPU a few weeks ago, Windows reactivated without hassle after I put my Windows 8 key back in.

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up

ToxicFrog posted:

You definitely can't just re-enter the key and have it work.

Except I've done exactly that.

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up

ToxicFrog posted:

As in, you did a hardware upgrade, W10 deactivated, and you got it to prompt you for a key, entered your W7 key, and it started working again? Without needing to reinstall or contact support? Because everything I've read says that can't be done, and if that's wrong, I would love to know it.
Exactly right, except my key was for Windows 8 (which I'm sure has no bearing on things).

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up

EmmyOk posted:

My Windows 10 originally had a faulty key and I had to get a new one over the phone but I don't think I have it saved anywhere. Can I get it from my own PC?

Belarc Advisor can probably pull it out

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up

EmmyOk posted:

Windows 10 seems to have a far better start menu for me. You can pin and shift all the tiles you want and when I search for a program from there it actually shows it to me instead of some random program folder like 7 always used to.

The start menu is fine, but the search is crap:

http://imgur.com/In9PGmj

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up

bigis posted:

I ditched team viewer and have started using the native Win10 RDP which has a nice iPhone app. It works well on LAN but is it safe to port forward so I can use it from elsewhere?

My router supports DD-WRT so I could use that to run a VPN server but is it overkill? Or is there a better solution?

If you use port redirection rather that port forwarding you'll probably be OK. VPN would be much better though.

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up

Aquila posted:

So I am building a decent gaming PC for my nephew out of leftover computer parts I have and so I guess I need a Windows 10 license for it. Is there anyway to get the free Windows 10 upgrade for this system? Since I am using my windows license on my current system I don't have anything I could apply to the upgrade.

Sign him up as an insider?

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up

xamphear posted:

Sometimes I imagine a world where Microsoft licensing is straight forward, well communicated, and fairly apportioned.
You want to try getting your head round The business stuff!

wolrah posted:

So there's that, apparently if you have a computer with a digital entitlement for 10 Pro but an on-board key for home edition it takes a few extra steps to get Pro back after a fresh install.
You can modify a file on the ISO so it installs the right version off the bat.

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up

YF-23 posted:

So yesterday I got a new laptop running Windows 10. The Windows version is Greek, which to me isn't the most ideal thing since it makes comparing my system with internet instructions etc. a pain. But I'm running across a bigger problem now; a lot of the system's file system is also translated, which is to say, the Users folder is called Χρήστες, Program Files is called Αρχεία Εφαρμογών, and a lot of things in general are in Greekrunes.

This means dropbox cannot run. It looks for a Program Files folder, and it looks for a Users folder, and those don't exist. Dropbox loving shipped with the machine. I am pessimistic about the prospects, but is there any painless way to completely change the system language?

I would just grab a disc and reinstall it with the right language.

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up

YF-23 posted:

I resolved it by installing the English language pack (which I'd thought I did, but it was actually just the input language). Dropbox still has issues but that's something I need to take up to their tech support instead of Windows'.

That fixed the file system stuff as well? Colour me surprised. Useful to know, though.

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up

Combat Pretzel posted:

On the same note, if I want an early upgrade, what's the best way? Enable the insider Fast ring, let it update and disable it again?

I downloaded the relevant .esd file, extracted it and ran setup.

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up

skooma512 posted:

Does anybody know if a VM would be good enough to get my computer onside for the free upgrade? I ain't trying to capture and push images at 10 at night.

No it wouldn't, the VM will have a different GUID to your actual PC.

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up

Sir Unimaginative posted:

I've done it, however, and build 14393 is now receiving cumulative updates even if that particular installation of Windows has never been in the Insider program.
I didn't get the updates to mine, had to install them with DISM

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up
1607 is up on the MSVLSC now, Pro and Enterprise (probably Education too).

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up

WattsvilleBlues posted:

In the Windows 7 days, you'd have to download three thousand cumulative updates. Remember those days?

Yeah. It was today.

Building a new Win 7 Enterprise golden image for a VDI environment.

Still updating it :eng99:

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Is anything needed to tie the W10 installs to your account, or does it just happen automatically with the anniversary update?

It's automatic

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up

A good poster posted:

Before you buy that, I've been hearing that the free upgrade may still work. Has that been confirmed to be shut down yet?

Can confirm still working as of yesterday PM.

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up
X-Mouse Button Control can probably deal with it.

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up

jauk3n posted:

what if I want to install windows 10 on a brand new computer im building from a usb. how does that work with needing a product key and what not?

If your current computer says that your licence is attached to your Microsoft account, you should be OK.

That's the theory anyone, not sure anyone here has tried it yet.

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up

Acer Pilot posted:

I just remoted into my work computer from my Windows 10 upgraded machine and noticed that the task bar from my local computer is showing up over the remote session.

Anyone run into that before and know how to hide it when my remote session is in full screen mode?

This happens to me sometimes. Not always, no rhyme or reason to it.

No solution though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up

bigis posted:

I want to control my PC remotely with the iOS Microsoft RDP client. Is it a bad idea to port forward? What precautions should I take?

Get a VPN set up