Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

nielsm posted:

I did the upgrade. Where's my product key?
There is none.
You don't get a product key from the free upgrade.
Repeating this: You do not get a product key from the free upgrade.
When you do the upgrade, the installer sends a "fingerprint" of your computer (motherboard+CPU, mainly) to Microsoft, and that marks your computer as eligible for free Windows 10.

Wait, so if I upgrade now, then replace my motherboard in 2 months, will my license be invalid?
Most likely yes. If you're planning any major hardware upgrades, wait with Windows 10.

Since you don't get a key, does this mean that after July 29th 2016 there will be no way to reactivate? If I buy a new motherboard in 2018, I'll have to choose between paying for 10 or reinstalling 7?

Edit: Having to pay for a license at that point doesn't seem super unreasonable, but I think I'd rather just pay money now and install with that key instead of dealing with the hassle down the road on the day that Windows decides my poo poo's not Genuine anymore.

A FUCKIN CANARY!! fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Aug 13, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Ghostlight posted:

If you buy a new motherboard, then yes, that seems to be the key component since then it's definitely a 'different computer' - but people have been moving OEM 7 copies from home builds to home builds for ages by calling Microsoft and requesting a reactivation for it.

Except when you moved 7 around and had to activate by phone, there was always a key involved. In the case I'm wondering about, the hardware profile has changed and the installation has no key associated with it, so it seems like you'd be asking Microsoft to activate you on the honor system.

There's a giant discussion on the Microsoft Community site about this and nobody seems to have a straight answer on whether your current retail license transfers somehow or you're just getting a freebie activation that's tied to the hardware forever.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

I just went ahead and let it download. It hasn't installed itself behind my back, and I still got the most recent security updates the next time it checked for them. Just had to uncheck "Upgrade to Windows 10 Home" in the list of updates I wanted to install.