Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

fishmech posted:

No. You must upgrade if you want your hardware to be able to use it for free. Otherwise you're going to have t just buy Windows 10.

Right now a person can install Windows 10 fresh and use an applicable Windows 7 key to activate. At least that's what I did on my MacBook Pro so unless it's something special to Bootcamp/Mac installations which seems unlikely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

fishmech posted:

That doesn't get you a Windows 10 key, it gets you a license that's only good for that hardware. So if you don't do the process until after the deadline, you'll need to just buy Windows 10. Also, you'll need to buy it if the hardware ever changes enough.

I never said it grants a Windows 10 key. I said someone can perform a fresh installation of Windows 10 and then use an equivalent-version key of Window 7 to activate. Yes, this will not work once they stop allowing upgrades.

Also, if enough hardware changes, you can contact Microsoft customer support and explain why there were significant hardware changes, and they will grant you a key/code to activate. The person will not have to buy Windows 10.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

fishmech posted:

Someone who goes and buys a Windows 7 or 8 key to do the free upgrade is limited to the hardware configurations they can build by July 29th or so.
You keep stating this nonsense, but after July 29th, a person who had digital entitlement can still make any hardware change they require and re-activate using digital entitlement by contacting customer support and explaining the change. As long as they've upgraded their current system by July 29th, they can still make any hardware change afterward. And before you try to say it, yes, Microsoft hasn't guaranteed that the allowance of re-activation post-motherboard/hard drive replacement will continue to be allowed, but they also haven't said otherwise. So literally every component except the hard drive and motherboard can easily be replaced and Windows 10 reinstalled without causing a digital entitlement activation issue.

And one of the updates coming in the Anniversary update is an easier method for reactivating after a significant hardware change. Since they haven't yet said a single thing about limiting hardware configurations post-July 29th and we're now in July, it stands to reason that they probably aren't going to prohibit it.

You also like to ignore the fact that even those with Windows 10 product keys need to currently contact customer support after a motherboard change, so it's not like it's any different for a product key holder than it is for someone with digital entitlement. But yes, be disingenuous.

Edit:

fishmech posted:

Digital entitlements retain the same limited scope you got in the past for the limited-time/limited-computer free upgrades you could get for XP-Vista/Vista-7/7-8 transition periods on certain new computers around the launch times.

There's no "limited scope", unless you mean that every allowance/restriction that applied on the prior allowance now applies to the digital entitlement, than sure. But that's not limiting the scope of the license; it's a direct transfer of rights. Don't use incorrect terminology.

Canned Sunshine fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Jul 3, 2016

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Klyith posted:

you can tie your windows 10 license to a MS account to activate it on new hardware, so you don't need to buy a new copy just because you upgraded some stuff

Can multiple licenses be tied to the same account? I'm not sure how it would work, but I'd rather not have to create 3-4 Microsoft accounts to tie the various machines in the house to.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

I was trying to find clear information on this, but couldn't. My Windows 10 Pro installation is tied to my Microsoft account, and I'm building a new computer and want to move my license to it. I've seen information online about some of the restrictions/etc., but is there a current, easy way to see whether my license/installation could even be transferred?

I think I had read that it can't be de-activated, so not sure how else to get it transferred. I also need to transfer Office 2016 which is also tied to my MS account, but that at least has a deactivate option so I can move it.