Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

Lum posted:

Linux Mint

Hopefully you didn't download it on the 20th....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

This isn't a thing and it took me awhile to figure out what you meant, even in the context of this thread

slidebite posted:

Oh look, the KB3035583 WinX widget update is back in my updates yet again even after hiding twice before.

Is there any reason you can't let the updates be & use the official method to suppress the notification?

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

I was thinking of https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3080351 w/ DisableGwx key method

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Nominating this to be an official unit of storage

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

I like the lockscreen improvements in the latest fast preview. It tells you when num lock is off now, which is nice, since Hyper-V automatically turns off num lock for some reason.

Too bad the crossfade stuff only works when you're actually logged out, rather than just locked. I hope/assume that'll also be improved in future builds.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Magnus Praeda posted:

less than ethical distribution methods

This is an interesting question. Which is more ethical:
1- leaving users on old versions to rot, with the pre-installed AV expired (practically malware itself), inevitably leading to larger botnets
2- auto-upgrading people who don't actively decline, getting them on a better platform, disabling their (practically malware) expired AV and enabling baseline protection, all at no $ cost to the user.

You can certainly be displeased about the auto-upgrade approach to Windows 10, but it's kind of a stretch to call it unethical.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

ilkhan posted:

uhhhhh. What?
Bold your words, italic my add.

I agree people should be upgraded, but there should also be a single switch built into windows that a user can flip to say "gently caress YOU MICROSOFT LEAVE ME ON 7" that it actually respects and then stops bugging the user to upgrade for more than a day.

That switch exists. You only need to decline once, permanently. All you've been doing is saying "Remind me later please"

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

IAmKale posted:

any command line tool is better than Command Prompt.

If you mean the cmd shell, sure I guess but really what you want is tools in your path. Plus there's already powershell. If you mean the conhost terminal, you'll still be using that with the ubuntu subsystem. Luckily, there's alternate terminals that run whatever shell you want, like conemu.

Also, if you want to try out linux on windows without VMs today, flinux already does dynamic binary translation. It's arch linux though, not ubuntu.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

HalloKitty posted:

Windows 10 may not "raise the bar" significantly in terms of requirements

The system requirements are the same as Windows 7 :ssh:

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

loquacius posted:

Honestly they're probably not, I'm just in the investigative stage before I try talking to them about it any more than I already have. Their attitude toward Win10 in general is "do what you want but we don't support it"; the question is whether that attitude would translate to Insider builds as well or turn to a hard "no". Not being able to use my antivirus software would be a pretty big indicator toward the latter.

You could always just use a VM for investigation. Also, at least as of a few insider builds ago, Kaspersky didn't work: https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2016/02/24/announcing-windows-10-insider-preview-build-14271-mobile-build-14267-1004/

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

An Angry Bug posted:

What gives them the right to unilaterally decide that? Microsoft aren't our IT departments. They're a company that sells a product to end users.

Microsoft has only recently become a company that cares about selling WIndows to end users (System Builder nod &wink and Windows 95 PR nonwithstanding). But for the last decade+, the business model has been that you're not purchasing a copy of Windows, you're purchasing a PC, from an OEM, that is pre-licensed with Windows.

So you're right that Microsoft wasn't your IT dept... Dell, HP, Lenovo, etc were. Except that that model sucks in the post-iPhone era, where the update cycle for hardware & software is majorly compressed, and also because Dell, HP, Lenovo, etc don't care about your Windows experience as much as selling you a cheap laptop. In the new world, you're going to be frustrated if you think of this OS model as a static preinstalled disk image which shouldn't change. Microsoft wants you to think of Windows as a service (they literally use that phrase). Similar philosophy with Apple. In this world, Microsoft actually is your IT dept, or at least, is connected to users in a way it wasn't before.

Downside: there's some hand holding when people don't want an IT dept. Upside: there's some hand holding from the IT dept for clueless folks who ultimately power botnets. Another upside is the radically reduced turnaround from feedback on a feature to feature update.

The calculus is pretty obvious -- the price of getting everyone up to date is some temporary irritation. Totally worth it.

Plus, it's free.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Irritated Goat posted:

It does but hitting the win key, typing REM should be all I need. Ah well.

Works for me ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

djssniper posted:

Just typing mst brings it up on mine

Also works for me ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Johnny Aztec posted:

Oh, well that is lovely. That fucks me completely on building my grandparents a new PC later this year.

Yes, now your life is ruined :ohdear:

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Node posted:

I'm sure this has been said a few dozen times but holy poo poo is the windows 10 mail program loving garbage. You seriously need to use an online account to add contacts and can't store them locally, what theskaiodsofdm

Local contacts is super dumb and extremely susceptible to loss, not to mention device specific (which is less and less useful in a world where most people use more than 1 computer, such as their phones). This is one thing Microsoft got right straight away in Windows Phone and wisely transported to Windows.

Get any one of a half dozen free email accounts and bam, now your contacts are safe forever.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

:vince:

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

EmmyOk posted:

Is there a way to tidy up my installed programs list in the control panel? I hate that all the .net stuff has like 50 entries for all the different things :saddowns:

1- who cares, how often do you look at that screen. Also don't forget it's searchable.
2- group by install date, sort descending

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Im_Special posted:

Is there a fix for the DPI scaling in Windows 10? It's driving me crazy. Running at 100% is just to small for my resolution/eyes, 125% makes certain things blurry, which was never a problem in Windows 7.

I run at 150% and disable display scaling selectively for bad/old apps. Works pretty well.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

dud root posted:

How do you adjust it per app?

Right click the app, properties, compatibility tab, "disable display scaling on high dpi settings"

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

New fast ring build today. Recently relevant itc:

quote:

We fixed an issue where a focus box was sometimes visible when launching the Start menu, resulting in type to search not working.

Guess I was right when I said

Factor Mystic posted:

The next time you hit start and type and nothing happens, pause and observe the situation. Is there an accessibility focus rectangle present? I have noticed this a couple times (outline around hamburger menu, for instance). In this case, keyboard input isn't going to search, it's going to the accessibility system. Clicking into empty space on the tiles area typically puts keyboard focus back into it so you can type and search.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

I believe it may be triggered when you install an app that's registered for that extension. I believe it may also be triggered by updates to apps that are registered for it, and since store apps update automatically, it may seem random.

This is speculation, not based in science.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

WorkingStiff posted:

Will Windows 10 run native on late model MacBook Pros without Bootcamp /Parallels? If not, does anyone have any tips on getting 10 to run with as little interaction with OSX and the best performance possible?

Yes. Here is what you will need to do, subject to my fuzzy memory when I last did this:

1- In Disk Utility, shrink your main partition and leave the empty space for whatever size you want your Windows partition to be
2- Grab a Windows 10 ISO using the Media Creation Tool, if you don't already have one
3- Get a USB stick that doesn't have anything you want to keep on it
4- With the Bootcamp Assistant tool, tell it about your USB stick and your Windows ISO. You can let it bring in Apple drivers but this is not strictly necessary and they may be out of date anyway.
5- STOP Bootcamp Assistant from doing anything else. No partitioning or anything else.
6- Option-boot your USB stick, which should now show up as bootable. Boot it. Let the Windows installer run. Have it create a partition out of the empty space on your disk. Let it finish. Take out the USB stick. Option-boot into Windows.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Lowtechs posted:

Hmm new insider build and it doesn't have the evaluation copy and build number on the bottom right so maybe the anniversary update was just pushed out to fast track insiders. The same thing happened for the original release build.

Too bad they don't write announcements of these things so we could know for sure.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Lowtechs posted:

Well just got updated to a new build and no text on the bottom right corner with a build number so I guess MS decided to stop that showing.

There was a blog post announcement about it. I was being sarcastic because apparently there are people running fast ring that don't read the blog posts. Craziness.

WorkingStiff posted:

Please hear my tale of Win10 on MacBook Pro installation woes.

So after creating the Windows 10 media in Bootcamp and trying to install to the unallocated space, I'm getting a SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED (igdkmd64.sys) and get stuck in a reboot loop. I know this is an intel display driver issue, but I'm at a loss on how to proceed with the install. This is a 2013 Mac using the intel 4000. Anyone who has successfully done this have any advice?

What stage of the installation is this, and did you let Bootcamp Assistant load in Apples drivers when you made the ISO?

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Avalerion posted:

Looks like there is no way to pin actual shortcuts to Start, just that Most Used list which is anything but?

Add shortcuts to %appdata%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu and they show up in the main list.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Arsten posted:

I think he means the list that shows up before you click "All Apps"

I'm on slow ring. I forget if they changed how it works at some point. I guess my directions are circa Anniversary Update.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Combat Pretzel posted:

Actually, from what was posted before in this thread and another in the YOSPOS subforum, there's a whole lot of translation going on, because the NT and Linux kernel do a lot of things with a similar outcome a whole lot differently.

Translation implies some kind of facade intermediate layer. That's not really the case here. They really did implement fork, for instance, and it's really being called when a program uses the fork syscall. Unless you mean pico processes which I guess includes various indirections like address translation but that applies to normal processes too so it's not really a special thing.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

You know you can resize the calculator app, right?

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

https://github.com/Microsoft/BashOnWindows/issues is a good place to stay up to date on WSL developments & techniques to get GUIs working. https://github.com/Microsoft/CommandLine-Documentation/releases is a good place to subscribe to for WSL changelogs.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

hooah posted:

I somehow can't get Cortana to turn back on on my desktop. I wanted to try out the Android notification mirroring, but Cortana now seems to just be a glorified search thing instead of an assistant.

What thing did you turn off

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

HMS Boromir posted:

Any idea how I can remove "3D print with 3D Builder" from the context menu for image files? Uninstalling it didn't help.

Yo http://defaultprogramseditor.com

Klyith posted:

Just manually delete registry entries. they're in:
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\SystemFileAssociations\.bmp\Shell\T3D Print
(.jpg, .png, etc)

SystemFileAssociations is also where you will find lots of other useless junk for the context menu, like setting images as the desktop background or casting audio & video.

Unfortunately it looks like win10 will be resetting edits to Classes with every major update which will kinda suck.

this one isn't a shellex, it's just a regular shell command. but stored in a different place.

Deleting from HKCR will retain HKCU changes, iirc. Also DPE takes care of all of this.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Now that normal desktop apps can be distributed via store packaging, I wouldn't be surprised to see more "install via windows store" buttons popping up for "classic" apps. Time will tell I suppose. Like if you grabbed audacity off of the Windows Store then you wouldn't have got that virus from last week.

Klyith posted:

Of course I only found that because I was looking for something useful to do with the action bar!

It was already useful because that's where the standard windows bubble notifications now go. You ever have one of those situations where you glance at the screen right as a bubble notification is fading out and you were like "hey what was that message???" but then it's gone forever? Not any more, because now it's logged in the action center. Plus now there's actually a decent notification api so notifications don't look like Windows 98.

Factor Mystic fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Aug 7, 2016

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Head Hit Keyboard posted:

Microsoft accounts piss me off. I've had occasions to use mine but it's so few and far between that I never remember what my password is in between uses and MS won't let you use the same password twice ever so now I legitimately can't change it to something I'll ever remember. Which is fine, I use KeePass for a lot of things I'll just use that now. Oops, surprise! Linking Win10 to your MS account locks your computer behind your MS account's password, and the KeePass I need to get my MS password is locked in my computer behind my MS password. Thanks for the catch-22 Microsoft!

Do you really want keepass available on your login screen before you've put in your password?

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I looked at the help page for the digital license and it had this to say:

So the digital entitlement is officially a full license tied to your account, same as a paid copy. Which is pretty god drat great.

I believe this policy changed with the Anniversary Update. This is assuming that info is correct and not a misstated version of the prior policy.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Sir Unimaginative posted:

EDIT: Also you'd think that if Firefox of all browsers can get color emoji working; what the hell, Microsoft.

Works for me. I just double checked because of your post.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

http://emojipedia.org/emoji/%F0%9F%A4%B7/

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

ILikeVoltron posted:

This not letting you "start" in the PM and "end" in the AM blows my mind in how awful and retarded it is. Some people are up past midnight? WHO loving KNEW MICROSOFT!

I get your point but for 99.9% of home users, that's be a misconfiguration and they'd get mad at Microsoft for rebooting their PC during the day

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

endlessmonotony posted:

I described it as "utterly useless garbage", which describes very well how useful it is to me. The "note taking space" can be of many opinions, but anyone willingly using OneNote gets a big-rear end "bitcoiner" label appended to their contact info.

Lol, what?

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

I mean, you're not wrong, but

Klyith posted:

In the past I've cut MS a lot of slack over their OS not being perfect. I've been a computer janitor, I know how flaky hardware and people can be. Their job was impossible. But these days I'm very unsatisfied with their priorities. I don't feel like their main effort is making things work on my computer, it's now about building "platform" or "ecosystem" or whatever the f- their strategy with win10 is.

Copied and pasted from 1994. Nice.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

OgNar posted:

Also just tried shutdown -s -t 00 which I got off of some website. But it looks like they took the option out of that also.

Nah this works fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

True, I did test it on a Pro VM. I'm surprised that's not something available in Home. You used the /s flag, right? (Didn't say in your last post).