Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Lum posted:

I have found out how to add the recycle bin to the quick access panel in explorer. This is great for people who prefer to hide desktop icons.

This is a great idea. I don't actually use the recycle bin, but some programs that offer a "delete file" option seem to think that when I hit delete I really mean "Recycle" and it's nice to see the icon occasionally to see if I need to clear it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Merv Burger posted:

Now that I think about it, I likely had my Xbox 360 controller plugged in when it was not sleeping.

This will definitely do it, even on Windows 7 it took me months to figure out why my computer would sometimes sleep and sometimes not. Turned out it was not sleeping whenever I'd leave my 360 controller plugged in to charge. Moved the 360 controller to a dedicated charging plug off my PC and suddenly my sleep problems went away.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

d0s posted:

is there a way to check if it activated right?

Right-click the Start button, pick the System control panel link, and it'll be right there at the bottom of the page.

Whizbang posted:

No dumbass, it isn't.
It is and it isn't.

If your :filez:-fu is good enough that Windows 7/8/8.1 believes it's legitimately activated with a non-Enterprise key it'll work just fine and you'll end up with a properly legit activating copy of the equivalent Windows 10 (presumably Pro for most because who the hell pirates Home Edition?).

If Windows knew it wasn't legit, upgrading to 10 will not change that.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Aug 16, 2015

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Cheesus posted:

For a "clean" install via upgrade, my understanding is:
1. Upgrade to Windows 10, activate.
2. Create installation media.
3. With media, re-install over same drive.

What if you want to switch drives? Would this be the correct modified steps?

1. Install previous version on new drive. Activate. (despite having another drive already activated on that version)
2. Upgrade to 10. Activate.
3. Create installation media.
4. With media, re-install over same drive.

Yes, this is exactly what I did. Though if you're really paranoid about the drive change pissing something off you could always just clone the old drive to the new drive first, then do the upgrade, then format and install fresh. If you're changing to a SSD they often include a clone tool, otherwise Clonezilla works great and is free.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

xamphear posted:

Let's say you have a Windows 10 Pro or Enterprise machine in use at a business. It is absolutely imperative that it not shut down or reboot EVER, outside of manually handled shutdowns attended by a human when absolutely necessary. Is there any way to configure Windows Update to work in this fashion, or is it simply not possible? From what I can see, even the "notify me to reboot" option still does a automatic reboot if you don't schedule one within a certain time frame.

If you have Enterprise, this sounds like exactly the sort of situation the Long Term Servicing Branch is made for. Only security updates will show up in Windows Update and nothing will install automatically. Updates can be deferred as long as you need.

If you only have Professional, you can use the "Current Branch for Business" to delay feature updates up to a year from their general release, but security updates are still automatic. In that case you'll have to keep an eye out for critical updates and sure you're capable of scheduling an emergency maintenance window within a short period of time.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Richard M Nixon posted:

In Win10, my mapped network drives no longer have a drive letter attached to them. This makes some apps (like Deluge) unable to see the folders. Is there a way to force a drive association instead of the folder thing Win10 tries to do by itself?
Uh...screenshot? Maybe with a right click > Properties in there too?

I think you may have ended up with some other kind of network share shortcut. Mapped drives definitely still have letters just like always.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Hey, look at that.

They're fixing the inconsistent context menu appearances.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

d0s posted:

Is it just me or is that really huge/weird looking

I hope that's also at some higher DPI setting.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Geemer posted:

Better yet: Put basic drivers for the most popular OSes in the UEFI so it can automatically pull from there during install, and then you can use those to update to more up-to-date drivers.

Better better yet: We have generic class drivers for most common hardware, why not the network cards? Being able to get online removes the need to store drivers in the hardware, so you don't have to install any outdated manufacturer drivers that'll just get immediately updated and possibly leave behind some unwanted cruft. The class drivers of course can't use advanced features and lack performance optimizations, but that's fine for the purpose.

Between VESA video, USB HID keyboards/mice, and HD Audio all of the basic functionality of a computer except for networking works out of the box in every modern operating system. I'd argue that network connectivity is a lot more important than sound in a modern computing device, so the fact that I can get 5.1 24/96 audio out of my PC with zero effort but can't even get a 10mbit lifeline to the internet on a fresh Windows install without external media being involved is really annoying.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Lum posted:

I think the whole insider thing is genius, because the kind of person who pirates leaked betas for their bedroom/basement PC and then pirates the finished thing when it's out, thus never making MS any money, now gets to give them free beta testing forever.

Bingo. It's also more stable than a lot of the activation cracks, and when they bundle an anti-piracy update with a security update you don't have to wait for a new crack before fixing the flaw.

Though I never really understood why people kept using activation cracks, spoofing a KMS server works great for my home VM "lab". If I didn't have legit licenses for my day-to-day machines I'd just do that.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Jan posted:

You'd think they'd take the loving hint. :shepicide:

This is my work computer, assholes. Stop hassling me.

Bing Desktop 1.0
Bing Desktop 1.1
Bing Desktop 1.2
etc.

They have a habit of pushing out multiple versions of things people are trying to avoid.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

dissss posted:

You work full time from home without a VPN?

Depending on what you do a VPN may not be necessary. I work from home and the VPN links I have set up are all purely for convenience rather than necessity. Most of my work is through Google Apps or other "cloud" type stuff.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Flagrama posted:

This is always how Windows has handled DVI and HDMI connections by default. Straight DP to DP connections are the only ones that will disconnect the monitor on power off. (so using a DVI/DP adapter will also keep windows from disconnecting the monitor) DisplayPort actually communicates commands between your computer and your monitor, so your monitor is able to tell the computer "hey, I turned off." DVI and HDMI have no such data communication as far as I'm aware. They can only check if they are actually connected to a powered monitor. You'd have to disconnect the power cord or the video cable in the back to disconnect the monitor.

If it worked on an older install of Windows I can only assume you enabled some weird option, or were using some other piece of software to accomplish this.

This has nothing to do with Windows or the interface itself, it just happens that a lot of DP monitors have controllers that violate the spec and don't connect the "I'm here" line when powered on but turned off like they're supposed to.

When you turn off one of these flawed monitors the graphics card literally sees it the same as if you disconnected the cable, so it sends Windows a "monitor disconnected" message and Windows acts accordingly.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

windsor posted:

Thanks. But I meant, for instance, have the screen saver appear after 5 minutes, but ask for password 3 minutes after screen saver starts.

There's no GUI, but you can do it in the registry.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc958474.aspx

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

While there are certainly differences between AV products, they're basically meaningless in the real world. Keeping your system patched and not being a total fucktard (i.e. don't open not_a_virus.pdf.jpg.exe or install anything from a popup ad) are a lot more effective.

Since it doesn't matter which one you use, it just makes sense to use the one that's free and built in to the system. It's low impact and doesn't tend to get in the way.

Third-party antivirus also often bundles other pointless replacements for built-in security like firewalls (the Windows one has been good since XP SP2) or popup blockers (every browser worth a poo poo has had one for years).

Basically if you're forced to use a specific third party solution by policy, it is what it is, but if you have the choice there's no good reason to bother with anything else on a personal machine.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Lum posted:

Any way to make it not flash the power light when hibernating, short of unplugging the cable?

Asus p6t deluxe if it matters. Computer is 2 rooms away from the bedroom but still flashes bright enough to keep me awake.

LED behavior in power-saving modes is determined by the hardware, not the OS.

That said, in hibernate mode the hardware should be behaving the same as if the machine has been shut down. It sounds like you're ending up in Suspend (S1) or Sleep (S3) rather than Hibernation (S4).

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

pandaK posted:

Does the Enterprise edition of Windows 10 affect gaming at all? It's probably not a huge thing, but I recall certain server based windows installs in the past resulting in an extra few frames delay in gaming because of different compositing and poo poo like that.

You're thinking of the 64 bit variants of Windows XP, which were more closely related to Server 2003 than normal Windows XP. I'm pretty sure that was because both the original Itanium version and the later AMD64 version weren't designed for normal end users but instead for those using serious workstations where gaming performance was not a priority but the server edition license model didn't make sense. It was a stopgap solution for a niche market and Longhorn was supposed to be coming out "soon" to do it properly.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

pandaK posted:

On second inspection, it seems that Chrome is the only browser that can play all kinds of media; Firefox and Edge both don't recognize h264, mp3s, and whatever.

Is FFDShow something like K-Lite/KCP? Because I have KCP with MPC installed, would installed FFDShow interfere with those?

Firefox uses system decoders for those codecs. Edge probably does as well. Chrome provides its own. You have a system codec problem.

If you want to verify this, try using a Chromium open source build. MP3 and H.264 are left out of Chromium.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
The bare minimum USB HID keyboard standard supports six key rollover plus a few modifiers. It can be used with more, but certain lovely BIOS implementations don't support keyboards implementing anything beyond that, a subset of those apparently won't even boot properly with a more advanced keyboard attached. Some also don't handle higher than standard update rates very well.

Because of this a lot of keyboards either don't implement anything beyond 6KRO or default to a minimal mode until they receive some magic command from the vendor's software. Some of the more interesting implementations appear to the system as more than one keyboard and just send multiple standard 6 key max updates. This has led to a widespread incorrect belief that standard USB keyboards can't support more than six key rollover or higher sampling rates, and that you need drivers to support the keyboard operating in a non-standard mode to do either.

PS/2 is just a simple serial protocol where codes are sent indicating key down and key up, so it has no theoretical limit for how many keys can register as pressed simultaneously. This is also why you could sometimes have a situation where something in the computer derped and dropped a "key up" message, resulting in that letter being spammed until you hit it again.

tl;dr: More likely than not a misinformed gamer.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

FuzzySlippers posted:

Are there any common performance fixes for Win 10 besides updating drivers? Getting a pretty significant performance downgrade in games since upgrading on a Nvidia 670 and new drivers aren't helping any. Like easily 15-30 fps lower in Rocket League and F04 so not just some tiny bechmark difference. Otherwise I'm digging Win 10 features (spaces, the expose thing) but that performance hit is pretty rough.

If you did an upgrade, reinstall clean.

I wouldn't have believed it myself, but one of my housemates who had been running on an upgrade install recently upgraded his GPU to a 980ti and was getting way lower 3DMark scores than he should have been. My SLI 970s were wiping the floor with him even though we have literally the same CPU/mobo/RAM. He did a clean reinstall and gained almost 2000 points on Fire Strike.

No other benchmarks were run as he was planning to do the reinstall with the upgrade anyways, but it was a lot more of a difference than I'd have expected.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Subjunctive posted:

DEP can and will use the NX bit in a 32-bit Windows, as long as PAE is enabled, going back to Vista.

XP SP2 actually.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/875352

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

GrizzlyCow posted:

Nah, you're not being unreasonable. Neither Windows Updates nor driver updates are perfect, and Microsoft isn't giving anyone any reasonable Opt-Out options.
It's one of those lesser of two evils situations unfortunately, too many problems caused by people who never update and/or vendors who believe that telling end users not to update their systems is actually a valid option rather than fixing their own broken poo poo. The defer option puts a time limit on vendor fuckups where they can tell people to hold off while they work on a patch but can't just stick their fingers in their ears and pretend they didn't do something stupid to begin with.

How many of the big Windows worms were zero-day or close to it? Not many I'm aware of, most of them were patched months or even years before they were widely exploited yet they still spread like wildfire because when given the choice to be lazy a lot of people will do it.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Dec 28, 2015

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I maintain that Windows 10 is just as good a tablet OS as 8.1, Edge is much better than IE Metro and if you have trouble hitting any of the UI buttons on your tablet in Edge then you are literally Shrek.

Agreed, unless you have a tablet but absolutely will not stand for automatic updates I can't think of a single other reason to choose 8.x over 10. 10's UI is pretty much everything 8 is for touch devices while not being a nuisance for non-touch users.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Khablam posted:

Huge numbers of mobile radeon / old nVidia chips [vista era] haven't been given Win 10 drivers. Trying to use the old ones anyway can sometimes work but may break external displays and such.
If it's some built in Intel chip it'll probably just pull something from Windows Update and be fine.

Surprisingly after looking it up Intel's actually the worst.

AMD has official Windows 10 drivers for anything from the Radeon HD 2000 series (mid-2007) on up. nVidia has them for the GeForce 8000 series (late 2006) on up. Both of those were each company's first "unified architecture" GPUs which supported the new shader model brought by Vista's DX10, so arguably any GPU from those vendors that fully supported Vista is still supported on Windows 10. Some of those are EoL and aren't receiving any further non-critical development, but there's a WHQL driver for them that should allow them to be used fully.

Intel supported DX10 and unified shaders from the GMA X3000 series (mid-2006) on up, but they apparently don't have official Windows 10 drivers for anything before the third-gen Core i series (early-mid 2012).

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Programs and apps I have full screened on my primary monitor (games, Netflix, etc) keep minimizing as soon as I click the desktop or another window on my secondary monitor, when they never did before. Does anyone have any idea why they're doing that? Chrome doesn't seem to be affected when I fullscreen videos, so it isn't everything.

I think that's normal and unavoidable for games running in true fullscreen mode, and is one of the reasons for the existence of "windowed fullscreen" mode in a lot of games where it runs in a window sized and positioned so it fills the screen area with game content.

No idea regarding Netflix, assuming you're talking about the Windows Store app. I just typed this on my second monitor while it played Archer fullscreen on my main.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

AlternateAccount posted:

Getting Windows 10 to drive 3 displays simultaneously and consistently is the equivalent of giving yourself an endless swirlie.
How so? Works fine here and has since day one.

The only problem I've had with this setup is the nVidia power management bug which was the same on Windows 7. Switching to running the extra monitors on my Intel GPU dodged around that problem.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Guillermus posted:

What problem is that? I've been running with two screens for more than a decade and I may have run into that but I blamed something else.

When you are running multiple monitors where the resolution and refresh rates do not match attached to a single nVidia GPU there's a high chance that it will stick at non-idle clocks even when you're doing nothing. This wastes power, generates heat, and potentially increases noise if the ambient temp is high enough.

If you use nVidia Inspector you might have heard of the Multi Display Power Saver feature. This issue is what that feature's for. It forces the low clock, though this can have side effects (I'd often get glitches on DisplayPort when it was active).

There was also a similar issue recently with high refresh rate monitors that nVidia acknowledged and I believe they fixed, but I never saw it happen on mine so I'm not sure.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

The Iron Rose posted:

How's optimus on windows 10 these days?

No problems since release with my third-gen i7 + 650M Asus. When the public preview first went live the Intel drivers were a bit crashy, but I haven't seen any issues since RTM.

edit: Also....

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

Just in case anyone else is affected, one of the latest updates broke VirtualBox and all VMs fail when you try to start them.

Unless they've already pulled an update or something, I think your issue is something else. I've had Virtualbox randomly break many times even back on Win7, usually refusing to acknowledge that the system did in fact have VT enabled or failing to access it's kernel driver for whatever reason. A reinstall over top of the existing install usually fixes it.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Mar 2, 2016

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Zero VGS posted:

Your recovery partition is too small, that's why it's failing and reverting. You have to use something like Easeus to bring it up above 500 gb.

Do you mean 500MB? Because both of my Windows 10 machines are running on SSDs that don't have 500GB of space between them and they update just fine.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Sheep posted:

It definitely occurs in our machines that were upgraded to 10 Pro from 7 Pro. As for clean installs I'm not sure.

I had Candy Crush show up once on my laptop which is a clean install from the first public preview release. Never seen it since, nor has it ever shown up on my desktop which was a clean install at RTM.

Definitely count me in as one of the happy people with Windows 10. The only thing I have a problem with is how aggressively Microsoft is pushing the update even when people are actively working against it. That said most of those who are spending time fighting against it should instead be spending time fixing (or yelling at those responsible for fixing) whatever lovely software they have that's preventing them from upgrading.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Windows 10 doesn't allow you to install it into systems with less than 1GB RAM. Windows 7 went onto machines with 512MB.

Officially the requirements are 1GB for 32 bit, 2GB for 64 bit, same as 8, 8.1, and 10. 7 may work on less, but it's not supposed to.

In my experience 10 does seem to run slightly better than 7 on low-end hardware. A coworker has an old Vostro 1400 he uses as a beater laptop that definitely got a performance boost going from 7 on SSD to 10 on SSD. It has a 1.2something GHz ULV Core 2 Duo but is still plenty usable. The big question is GPU support. AMD and nVidia both support back to their earliest unified shader designs, Intel supports the GPUs integrated in to CPUs but not the ones integrated in to chipsets (that said the chipset ones were beyond trash anyways and could barely handle Vista/7's Aero).

wolrah fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Apr 8, 2016

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
I have a G930 and use it almost every day on Windows 10. It works fine. Battery alerts and macros work as expected through LGS.

If you don't install the drivers it appears as a generic USB audio device. It works on the generic drivers on every OS I've ever used.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Acer Pilot posted:

That's really a file system thing.

It's a Windows API limit: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa365247(v=vs.85).aspx#maxpath

The newer unicode-capable versions of the APIs support paths up to 32k characters in length but a lot of applications (and a lot of Windows itself) still use the old ones and will poo poo themselves over long paths.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
I have not had any new problems with anything that ran on Vista/7. Games that didn't work on those (mostly 9x era) unsurprisingly still don't work.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Fart.Bleed.Repeat. posted:

ahahaha I had this same issue with a build last week. Finally said fuckit and installed 10 with no product key, then ran the windows 7 install from within 10 and registered it, THEN reinstalled 10 from scratch and it picked up the product key and all is good

Protip: You can install 10 using a 7 or 8 product key as long as the upgrade offer is live.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

The Gunslinger posted:

So the start button continues to "break", necessitating a reboot. Anyone else experience this? I've seen this at work and at home now, makes it a real pain when you want to lock a workstation or etc.
Just to get the stupid question out of the way, do you have a "gamer" keyboard that has a Windows key disable function?

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

AlexDeGruven posted:

The difficulties with updating to Win10 have been greatly overestimated (and are probably more linked with people using OEM desktops stuffed with shitware than anything else).

Remember when XP SP2 came out right around the time that malware injecting itself in to the network stack was becoming a thing? The changes to SP2's network stack caused a lot of those things to break when updated, leaving those users without working networking until they reinstalled.

Somehow that was Microsoft's fault too.

The moral of the story seems to be that if you ever have a situation where a user or their application does something wrong but it still works, they expect to be able to do that forever and it's your fault if you ever fix the bug that allowed it to work in the first place, or if they just depended on internal behaviors that aren't documented and are subject to change.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

AlexDeGruven posted:

Same thing with Vista and bad RAM. Since Vista did pre-caching where XP didn't, RAM never got used in XP until it was actually used. Suddenly "OMG VISTA BROKED MY RAMZ!".

Granted, as far as that goes I do think it's the right call to do what they did in Vista SP1 and Windows 7 where they didn't actually change the behavior, they just hid the cache usage from the graph. Showing the user that their RAM is nearly entirely used at all times doesn't really help them if they're trying to diagnose performance issues.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
If you're using 8.1 on a non-touch device you're probably in the best situation to upgrade to 10.

Outside of DX12 for GPUs very little changed about the driver situation and only recent hardware requirements change was 8.0->8.1, so you're the most likely to "just work" (not to mention that most 7 users had the same experience). Hardware issues are thus very unlikely.

In exchange for that you get what 8 should have been, an updated UI that works well on touch and high-DPI screens but also actually makes sense for mouse users.

10 is to 8 what 7 was to Vista, the same basic thing but just better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

dissss posted:

Lets not get carried away now - high DPI still pretty much sucks on 10

The updated UI works. Anything built for Metro/Modern/whatever is pretty solid no matter the DPI, and now that they can be windowed they're not completely idiotic to use on normal computers.

Traditional Win32 apps still suck for the most part and probably will forever since it seems almost no one cares to fix their apps. The fact that there are some that work fine shows that it is possible, but it's either hard to do or the devs just don't care. I'm willing to bet more on the latter, but don't have the knowledge to actually back that up.