Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
Well in the case of accidental updates from clueless family members, keep in mind most of the time their old windows setup will get moved into windows.old where you can fish out Firefox or chrome profiles and copy it in.

No idea how doomed you are regarding Internet Explorer's autocomplete settings - can than even be recovered?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

Are other people getting duplicate icons when opening a program? For example firefox is sitting in the middle of my taskbar, but opening it creates a new icon at the end. iTunes used to do this until it updated.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

dissss posted:

Yep, got that with all sorts of apps. Unpinning and repinning the offending app seems to fix it for me.
I still get that even when I told it to pin right from the program directory. I'll see if wiping caches in CC cleaner does anything.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

I've had this persistant Defender update that's refusing to get installed. It downloads fine and installs but then fails. Not even downloading offline definitions seem to work. Could it be that Avast disabling the defender service is causing this?

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

Yaaay, Microsoft has finally figured out that a dark grey isn't the best colour to use when you set your window borders to black. They've finally set it to white text.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

And time for the Windows 10 update bumps.

One computer decided to completely not play nice with detecting my monitors resolutions correctly, leaving me to have to dig up some little app that unlocked additional refresh rates to force everything back into a correct resolution.

The other fun bug is another system is refusing to copy directories over USB drives. Single files are fine, but I can't grab a bunch of folders and copy the lot.
TerraCopy is my workaround at the moment as this seems like a pretty common bug from seven upwards but no one has any real idea how to fix it beyond "use powershell to copy".

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

Is anyone else getting this?

The taskbar on the second monitor (happens on either) floats up when set to auto hide.
Still happens when updated to the latest Nvidia driver.

BogDew fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Apr 12, 2017

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

Figured out the taskbar thing. It was something left over in my user profile. Making a new profile fixed it.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

Well guess the taskbar thing is an actual bug. Be nice if someone can confirm it.

Have two monitors with the taskbars set to hidden.
Go into Personalisation -> colours -> Turn off transparency effects.
Check taskbar on second monitor, for some reason there will be a small strip of gap if transparency effects are off.

There's always been issues with the second monitor taskbar for a good while on 10, before it wouldn’t auto-hide.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

Im_Special posted:

Has anyone noticed that when you turn off your computer that the monitor/s blink for a quick second as they power off, with some scary looking scramble of colors as if the card needs a RMA.
I get that as well. Freaked the crap out of me as I just had a screen of scramble until I moved the mouse.

Think there's a few teething problems to be sorted.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

Does anyone have program leftovers that come up in the start menu search?

I have a bunch of Google apps that are no more, along with the short cut to Chrome that shows up when searching. Even if uninstalled.

Anyone know if this is some cache that simply needs a deep cleaning?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

BrainDance posted:

But, a lot of the options can completely gently caress things up, especially search. There are a few things that if you "clean" suddenly searching for things in your start menu will never ever work again.
Ahh that explains a few things. I kept on getting odd start menu indexing issues or phantom apps that would not budge. Guess that's the cause.

Also the blasted bug where if you have a second monitor and turn off transparency effects, the second taskbar will hover a pixel above is still there.

There's something horribly broken with the taskbar code since Windows 8 as it took a few updates for it to properly accept autohide on two monitors, now this.