Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
I dunno if this applies to plex, but I have a streaming thing called subsonic that works now after I did a "restore" refresh clean install thing. I have it run as a service and it works even without me entering a pin.

I had my gf turn my computer on for party music and it just worked with the monitor off and no passwords. Maybe it shouldn't have admin rights, but dang if that wasnt convenient.

Still no usb drivers from Asus and sound is missing software bells and whistles, but the increased speed and quality of life is pretty nice.

If drivers never work I will be modding or building a Linux ready machine soon when I get money again soon. Thanks for the free update, last chance Microsoft.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

pmchem posted:

As of this morning, if you download the Media Creation Tool from Microsoft, you get:

MediaCreationTool2004.exe
right-click / properties / details / product version is: 10.0.19041.1
I believe 19041 refers to a build number

Does anyone know how often the builds for a particular win 10 version (in this case, ver. 2004) are updated over the lifetime of a MCT installer?

Like, sometime after every patch Tuesday, do they roll up the cumulative updates into the MCT build?

Or, is the MCT build never updated over the course of a particular win10's version?

If possible, I'd like to have all the latest cumulative updates slipstreamed into the MCT install before installing. Today will be the first "patch Tuesday" for win10 ver. 2004.
I can't answer your question, but if you access the media creation tool hyperlink on a device that can't run .exe files or spoof your browser you can download the latest .iso and run that off a flash drive or whatever to install.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

jokes posted:

New edge rules and I'm curious how, specifically, Microsoft is stealing all my info. I use auto cookie delete, and the normal adblock poo poo. I'm sure they do something insidious but at this point I just have no idea what it is.
I mean, your using windows right? And windows browser? Perhaps that's how.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Well I wanted to drop $200 on XBOX elite controller and 3 year warranty on the Microsoft Store, but the app and website wont let me "review and checkout" This is on a pretty fresh clean install of windows (maybe 2 weeks)

I tried some troubleshooting, and now I'm going to Version 2004 because someone on my news feed said most the bugs are ironed out, wish me luck!

Shutup and take my money! :shepspends:

Edit: So you have to purchase the controller, then purchase the warranty, I had 5 controllers in my cart when I just selected the controller by itself, I was pulling the warranty from commonly bought together.

Quaint Quail Quilt fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Aug 2, 2020

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Tin Tim posted:

Hey, goons

I just updated from 8.1 to 10 and just wanted to ask if there are any apps or settings that I should change/disable in general?
You can powershell out candy crush and a few other things or revo uninstaller them.

I just don't use the other things, the less stuff you mess with the less likely to break something and windows will put some back during certain updates?

I used to go whole hog "tweaking" things but then you might run into mystery problems down the road.

I can't be a hypocrite about privacy on windows because I also have a Google phone and several smart devices.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Some goon told me to try open-shell about a year ago, It feels better than win 10 start menu, other than that I'm pretty vanilla though.
https://github.com/Open-Shell/Open-Shell-Menu

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

MikusR posted:

If you have proof then contact FTC and news organizations. They will be interested.
I've literally seen an option to disable tailored ads when you install windows, you can opt out some of the stuff so it's like you are opting in if you don't.

Source: I just did a fresh install.

I use open shell and only use edge for video, so it doesn't apply to me much anyway

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Shaocaholica posted:

Hope this is the right windows thread I guess.

My 5yr old is going to start remote learning kindergarten in a week. She needs a laptop. I have many many laptops so that's not a problem.

But how to setup a win laptop that's safe/good for kids? She's already pretty smart around both windows and macOS and will find herself in some really weird corner of the internet if left unsupervised.

I was going to clean install the latest win10 image. Add myself the primary admin account. But I'm not sure what these windows 'kids' accounts are about. Seems like they are more geared towards pre teens and teens. I guess I really just need to restrict her access online. I don't really need app restrictions or screen time restrictions. Maybe just a browser plugin? I don't want to manually maintain local whitelists in 2020.
If you can't supervise, use nanny software solution? Or like you said whitelist, because backlist it all until late teens and burn it, I say, as one who was on the internet during my formative years.

Once they are old enough to know consequences, router level logging can scare them to stay straight?!
I don't have kids..

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

astral posted:

I actually kinda like Snip & Sketch.
Yeah you can ctr-v into discord and steam, I've remapped print screen to it totally.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

wolrah posted:

Under normal circumstances the only thing I'd consider messing with is this setting from the Advanced part of the old System control panel. I have no idea how to get there through the modern interface but the old way still works fine.

I always get to that by right click my computer.
[Windows-E] open explorer, right click my computer, properties.

Some of that old stuff still isn't integrated under the new settings

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

School of How posted:

I'm trying to install "Windows subsystem for Linux" using these instructions:
Do you have all your bios virtualization settings enabled? Linux doesn't work without them, I disabled it to run the new 1usmus ryzen auto overclocker and found I couldn't run linux anymore.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

This program is so funny because when someone tells you about it, it definitely sounds like one of those sketchy rear end "automatic driver updater!" programs that totally loads your PC with all sorts of malware and poo poo. Even kinda looks like rear end. But it's actually a good program!
I used it for awhile to make sure I was up to date with security updates and stuff for my programs.

Now I just install as much as possible with Chocolaty GUI and that keeps them up to date.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Kefit posted:

Thanks for the info everyone. I guess I'll just use Open Shell to replace the Start menu.

Hopefully this kind of mod doesn't break anything unexpected.
The new power toys has an alt-space apple like program search feature.

I also like the custom window snapping options.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

I don't have errors per se.

But the Xbox app I use to keep in touch with my one console buddy runs like garbage most of the time on my $3k pc.

Everything else is to the max/a-ok.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

henpod posted:

Thanks for the effort reply :)

2 - Nope, even when I plug in my earphones, it stays as 'speakers'. There are no options for anything other than 'windows sonic for headphones' which doesn't seem to do much. I guess I will look for a third-party EQ somewhere.

4 - Yeah, this laptop has a few protection options, so that when it's plugged in, it'll not go above 70%, and not below 40%. I don't know if it bypasses the battery completely at 70% but it's a pretty good idea. Since I have it plugged in most of the time I guess this will preserve health well enough.

This worked! Things in my earphones are sounding fuller now and I can tweak poo poo. :) Thank you.
Check this out as well, works with equalizer APO
https://sourceforge.net/projects/hesuvi/

Better than windows Sonic in my experience, no need for gamer branded headphones, I use some high dollar regular headphones and simulate 7.1 with the above link.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Sab669 posted:

A recent update seems to have finally broken Classic Shell -- anyone know of an alternative? :negative:
Openshell is the updated classic shell, so try that, works for me!

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

I just use the power toys search now (alt space)
Start menu search has always sucked.

I also use agent ransack for find files because it's 100x faster somehow.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

doctorfrog posted:

Heck, I haven't thought about Agent Ransack in years. Neat that it's still around, and I hope the free version is still good at searching inside files.
Can Agent Ransack search zip files?
To search in RAR, ZIP, GZ (etc) archives you need FileLocator Pro, Agent Ransack does not have that functionality.

I just use it 1-2 times a year because to me it's way faster, almost instant

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Powertoys for windows has come back and has some nice features.

I especially like alt+space to pull up a search box in the middle of your screen like MacOS
It works way better than the start menu ever did.
(Assuming you remember the name of the program you want to pull up)

I also have screen pinning with window +arrow set to have a big window in the middle for reading and websites or whatever and smaller windows on the side for discord or whatever.
Saves me from finally switching to a 2nd monitor.
I probably will someday though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

I may be mistaken, but I think back in the day older controllers like that the problem was leaving them plugged in when you weren't using them, especially on start up.

There was some mystery weirdness in some games and the answer to fix them was don't start the computer with a controller plugged in.

Could be a bit of stick drift and windows mistaking it for a mouse, I've not heard of it doing stuff to windows itself though.