Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who shall win the Community Choice Award?!
This poll is closed.
Zero-Grab Kitty 13 10.57%
Go Fish! 4 3.25%
Sub Optimal 1 0.81%
All Senior Citizens Should Have Life Alert 15 12.20%
PZZL 8 6.50%
Coinless 1 0.81%
Conservation of Momentum 2 1.63%
Echo 4 3.25%
Critical Admission 4 3.25%
VectoRocket 9 7.32%
Impulse 34 27.64%
Sandlot Basenoball 1 0.81%
Slam Fighter II 27 21.95%
Total: 123 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
To those that have played Basenoball, could I do some brain picking? I'm working on figuring out how to redo the numbers, and while I don't want do think too deeply before getting the final review, I have some notions:

* I agree with the Gong Show that the numbers being run need to be more transparent, although I don't know by how much (I don't view the players seeing it as a dice thing). How much would you like to know about how the calculations work?
* Viewing the math as die rolls instead of trying to figure out an algorithm to turn stat values into a probability roll will likely be easier. Would also be easier to communicate to the player.

With that in mind:

1) Roughly stay the course with the current system, just fine-tune the numbers and math. Add a visual indicator to show what's happening, something like a bar that shows the base chances for each player, and how different actions will affect it.

2) Something involving a bunch of d6s. Perhaps something like each player gets X die (where X is their skill value), rolls, then picks the top Y die (where Y is the number of die the least-skilled player has) to do math with. Success is summing up the rolls, +/- modifiers.

3) Use dice, but a system like Quarriors or Dice Masters, where the faces are a combination of numbers and symbols, and the symbols have some special meaning beyond simple crunching numbers. Not entirely sure how this would work out, but maybe something like some faces are numbers and you sum your numbers, and any symbols you roll have special effects. This may be too systematic, though, making it a dice game involving baseball rather than a baseball game using dice.

Does any of that sound particularly compelling?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

TheOrange posted:

Helpful commentary

Splode posted:

Helpful commentary

That all makes sense.

sighnoceros posted:

It's up to you whether your complicated calculations need to be preserved or not...

I'm going to try to back the complexity down some, it got out of hand pretty quickly (turns out baseball is hard). Part of the idea of going to dice was that maybe a dice system would be easier to balance, but the more I think about it, the more I realize they have their own quirks.

• Locked thread