Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who shall win the Community Choice Award?!
This poll is closed.
Zero-Grab Kitty 13 10.57%
Go Fish! 4 3.25%
Sub Optimal 1 0.81%
All Senior Citizens Should Have Life Alert 15 12.20%
PZZL 8 6.50%
Coinless 1 0.81%
Conservation of Momentum 2 1.63%
Echo 4 3.25%
Critical Admission 4 3.25%
VectoRocket 9 7.32%
Impulse 34 27.64%
Sandlot Basenoball 1 0.81%
Slam Fighter II 27 21.95%
Total: 123 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

JonTerp posted:

I don't see anything relating to the game... wonder if they deleted it. Hope you got a screenshot!!

The very top tweet. Still visible to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Took forever to upload for some reason, but this is the screenshot of the retweet (expanded mode, rather than collapsed):

Late, but whatever.

Also, I have voted! Sadly, last I checked, I was the only one who voted for the game that should win. Start making better votes people. :colbert:

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

JonTerp posted:

We have a new post mortem feature on the site! Once the judging ends (August 14th) you'll be able to submit a post mortem on the "Edit Game" Page.

Your post mortem will appear under the judges review, so you can get the final word on those mean corrupt vampire-men that call themselves judges.

When will we be getting the reviews do you think?

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Would anyone be interested in seeing more work put into Broken, or is it more of a "played it, got the gimmick, game was frustrating gimmick was neat but wouldn't play again" sort of thing?

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

TheOrange posted:

I still think the basic mechanic of having the game world be paused but come alive as you activate it is good, I think you really just need to work on the general platforming physics and do something about the knockback. I was able to play it up until the 2nd level but I honestly couldn't see what I was supposed to do in order to progress (series of platforms you activate with a switch), my best thought was I needed to time something with the knockback and the enemy but that seemed way to finicky to be pulled off reliably.

The platform puzzle just involved paused when the platforms were low enough to reach. You ride the first platform up to the second, and then the second up to the third.

But yeah, the physics were... not the ones we wanted. Personally I ended up enjoying many aspects of the knockback (I thought it was fun to throw your way to victory to quickly get by several parts), and I wonder if the problem wasn't so much the knock back as the design of the first areas that lead the player to be knocked back so much? A more gradual ramp up in difficulty I think would have helped a lot I think. Do you think the knockback might not have been so bad if you had an easier time avoiding it to begin with? If it's just "no, the knockback is bad even if rarer", how do you think it should work?

The game itself was originally supposed to be three times as long, and there were supposed to be two "lead ups" to each of the element you saw in the game. The knockback also wasn't supposed to apply to the sides of lift or carriers, turrets, or the back of trucks. Just... a lack of time. So those would probably be the major things I'd change if I went back and put some more work into it.

Also, for those asking about the music, side effect of putting the credits at the end, hah, it's a free/open source piece by Alan Singley.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

TheOrange posted:

Wait, I could re-pause things or it was a one-time shot?

You could re-pause things as many times as you wanted, that was in fact the core mechanic and the intended solution to the (few) puzzles. Was that... unclear?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

TheOrange posted:

No, I must of missed that part entirely, that's probably my own fault though, if it was in a text box then I probably just skimmed over it. Would of certainly made the second level much, much easier.

Yeah it was in the first conversation that paused the game, hah.

Well, that's a lesson to me, at least: Don't embed important game instructions in dialogue boxes, because apparently no one reads them anyway. :v:

• Locked thread