Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

GlyphGryph posted:

Why do people keep making Republican's black? Republicans are very obviously White/Red, with Democrats are predominantly blue with a smattering of other colours in their rainbow deck.

Also,

Black mana decks typically use life or graveyards as a resource ie: most republican (black) creatures you play will hurt you but hurt your opponent more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Necc0 posted:

Black mana decks typically use life or graveyards as a resource ie: most republican (black) creatures you play will hurt you but hurt your opponent more.

Except for the graveyard bit, isn't that pretty common in Red as well?

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

GlyphGryph posted:

Except for the graveyard bit, isn't that pretty common in Red as well?

Red is for the wanton destruction of things and less about death where Black is typically for death, disease, and demons.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 238 days!
The colour pie:

White: Small-medium creatures, defense, life gain, mass creature buffs. Small creature tokens. Order, civilization, religion. Soldiers and angel creatures. Mass-destruction and removal, but either hitting both sides or with compensation for the affected player. Enchantments and similar effects that limit what either player can do. Plains.

Green: Relatively inexpensive medium-large creatures, huge creatures with Trample. Small-medium creature tokens. Fast growth and mana-acceleration. Killing anything but creatures directly. Making one creature fight another. Life-gain. Large or long-term creature buffs. Creature-based card draw. Putting creatures into play directly. Wilderness and nature. Forests.

Red: Instant damage, small-medium aggressive creatures, sorceries and instants with immediate and direct effects. Dragons. Sometimes artifact-related effects. Blowing up poo poo like lands and artifacts, but not intangible things like enchantments. Explosions. Mountains.

Blue: Card draw and sorting, inefficient or defensive small-medium creatures or huge inefficient krakens. Flying creatures. Instants or sorceries which stall for time. Artifacts. Returning things to your opponent's hand or tapping them, but never dealing with them for good once they're on the board. Moving cards directly from your opponent's library to their graveyard ("milling"). Card draw, card draw, and card draw. Feeling smarter than the other player. Islands.

Black: Middle-of-the-road creatures, or efficient ones with drawbacks. Demons. Life steal. Getting creatures back from the graveyard, or putting them into play from the graveyard. Sacrificing life or creatures for immediate benefit. Killing creatures, but not much else. Forcing your opponent to discard from their hand. Card draw at the expense of life. Death, decay, and power at any cost. Swamps.

Hodgepodge fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Aug 13, 2015

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
How do you blow up an explosion? That sounds hardcore.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 238 days!

Tenzarin posted:

How do you blow up an explosion? That sounds hardcore.

I don't know, if it can be done, Red will find a way!

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 238 days!

Hodgepodge fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Aug 13, 2015

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

GlyphGryph posted:

Why do people keep making Republican's black?

Black is the color of capitalism, self above all, and ruthless amorality.

It's hard to use the color pie to represent politics though because they encompass too much stuff. Anarchism and Fascism are easily both white red. Anarchism takes white's concern for group wellbeing and mechanical concern for equality and couples it with red's willingness to use violence and rejection of hierarchy. Fascism takes white's focus on hierarchy, group identity, "we know what's best for the world," etc. and mixes it with red's hero cult and belief in action above all else.

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot
there is a massive lack of green though

jill stein as a 1/1 sapling for 1G

stoutfish fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Aug 13, 2015

Bob James
Nov 15, 2005

by Lowtax
Ultra Carp

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 238 days!

Nehru the Damaja posted:

It's hard to use the color pie to represent politics though because they encompass too much stuff. Anarchism and Fascism are easily both white red. Anarchism takes white's concern for group wellbeing and mechanical concern for equality and couples it with red's willingness to use violence and rejection of hierarchy. Fascism takes white's focus on hierarchy, group identity, "we know what's best for the world," etc. and mixes it with red's hero cult and belief in action above all else.

I usually see Fascism as White/Black, for community (white) and capitalism and hunger for power at the expense of others (black). Officially, fascism is white according to WotC, as an example of how white does not always mean "good."

Anarchism is hard to pin down, but it could easily be just Red (for individualism and a rejection of order). A more nuanced Anarchism would be RWU, for the aforementioned, plus community (white) and experimental idealism (blue).

Deep Hurting
Jan 19, 2006

Deep Hurting fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Aug 13, 2015

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Nah. I don't think I've ever seen a single capitalist black card. All the capitalist-like I can think of off the top of my head in-game are white or blue. Capitalism really doesn't seem to fit any of the themes associated with black.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

GlyphGryph posted:

Nah. I don't think I've ever seen a single capitalist black card. All the capitalist-like I can think of off the top of my head in-game are white or blue. Capitalism really doesn't seem to fit any of the themes associated with black.

That's not me saying it. It's the lead designer. Commerce and trade have been in blue, sure. As far as I know, white hasn't had any connection to capitalism since like Fallen Empires.

And thematically? It's dead on. Black is selfish and ambitious. It's the color of Greed. Devouring Greed. Hoarder's Greed. Burden of Greed. Archdemon of Greed. Theros went deep into giving black control over gold with Gild, Macar the Gold-Cursed, and Gray Merchant.

Nehru the Damaja fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Aug 13, 2015

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
The Republicans could easily be blue because they do a lot of tricky, manipulative poo poo like voter ID laws and other forms of voter suppression. Even if it doesn't fit with the meaning of red/blue in the context of American politics.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Nehru the Damaja posted:

That's not me saying it. It's the lead designer. Commerce and trade have been in blue, sure. As far as I know, white hasn't had any connection to capitalism since like Fallen Empires.

And thematically? It's dead on. Black is selfish and ambitious. It's the color of Greed. Devouring Greed. Hoarder's Greed. Burden of Greed. Archdemon of Greed. Theros went deep into giving black control over gold with Gild, Macar the Gold-Cursed, and Gray Merchant.

how soon we forget (13 year old trading cards).

Deep Hurting
Jan 19, 2006

I guess I'd rather have cheap puns than thematic game mechanic accuracy.

Deep Hurting fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Aug 13, 2015

Bob James
Nov 15, 2005

by Lowtax
Ultra Carp

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

just didn't have the heart to post my first draft of that one

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

GlyphGryph posted:

Why do people keep making Republican's black? Republicans are very obviously White/Red, with Democrats are predominantly blue with a smattering of other colours in their rainbow deck.

They're using what the colors symbolize in MTG instead of what races/parties they match.

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.

Deep Hurting
Jan 19, 2006

I wanted to make a Herman Cain one but I don't know enough about Pokemon.

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!

Deep Hurting posted:

I wanted to make a Herman Cain one but I don't know enough about Pokemon.

Elliot2lazy
Jun 9, 2015

by Cowcaster
These cards are funny as gently caress, but honestly not fast or powerful enough for my blood. Where is the card with cascade?

Deep Hurting
Jan 19, 2006

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
Hey guys, I just put together my new republican deck, it's red black and white

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
The problem with caring about the color pie for this thread is that the GOP is blue/black, but it feels weird calling them blue for the obvious reason and it feels weird calling them black now that Powell and Carson are both disgraced, and also for the obvious reason.

Indie Rocktopus
Feb 20, 2012

In the aeroplane
over the sea

I wanna be the yoogest and most luxurious
like no one ever was

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot
5 retreat cost lamao

Bob James
Nov 15, 2005

by Lowtax
Ultra Carp

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

GlyphGryph posted:

Really? You haven't been playing M:tG all that long then....

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.

Feral_Shofixti posted:

Really? You haven't been playing M:tG all that long then....

Was gunna say. There is a faction in this game that represents the Catholic Church if it was run by the undead mob; who's main lore is making people take out loans with their souls as collateral. It's heavy black and white.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 238 days!
So you can make Planeswalkers too, but it's a separate link:

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)

The best thing about this card is not only is the artist an actual racist, they assigned 1488 as the ID of the card in WOTC's database: http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=1488

Abner Cadaver II
Apr 21, 2009

TONIGHT!

foobardog posted:

The best thing about this card is not only is the artist an actual racist, they assigned 1488 as the ID of the card in WOTC's database: http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=1488

Whoa I thought that was an edit. :stare:

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)

Abner Cadaver II posted:

Whoa I thought that was an edit. :stare:

To be fair to WOTC, this was from the old days. They've tended to go out of their way to be inclusive and respectful with their art and stories with more modern sets, much to the chagrin of angry grognards upset they aren't pandered to constantly.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 238 days!
This thread needs a bump.

I've decided that elected Presidents are Planeswalkers. Does that include Al Gore?

No, not "Al Gore."

MOON EMPEROR AL GORE!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 238 days!

• Locked thread