Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I'm glad of thunderdome and want to be in one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Pirate Jet posted:

I like Games this year more than I did last year. I was pretty skeptical of the shitposter thunderdome but it actually seems to have made most of the participants either calm down or outright go away so maybe I didn't know what I was talking about.

Take care.

uck u

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?
Games is ok, some threads have become unreadable but the rules are super loose so whatever. Someone already said it but SA is extremely insular and really self loathing so you're not gonna draw anyone. There really should be some kinda medium between the gbs 2.0 posting and old games but i can't really figure out a solution just point out it's a problem. As for the thunderdome thing I didn't really care most of the people from there were Imp Zone regulars as far as I knew so I didn't really have any investment in watching it or caring about it but it's at least an attempt to get people together

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
these forums need a loving mobile version badly. i understand the forums coding is a decade plus long comedy of errors and idiocy, but its sometimes a pain in the dick to browse on phone. neogaf is a cesspool 99% of the time, but their mobile version is equal if not better than the desktop version for browsing.

and if there actually is a mobile version, welp :suicide:

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?

abagofcheetos posted:

these forums need a loving mobile version badly. i understand the forums coding is a decade plus long comedy of errors and idiocy, but its sometimes a pain in the dick to browse on phone. neogaf is a cesspool 99% of the time, but their mobile version is equal if not better than the desktop version for browsing.

there's an app that's decent enough i grabbed on my phone, i think it's just called Awful? someone probably knows more about it than me I'm sure.

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

abagofcheetos posted:

The awful app works well for me

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
hmm ill have to check it out. i remember there being a browser plugin for the site YEARS ago, but i think drama killed it so i didnt expect any other efforts

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Yeah, Awful Betamax is pretty good. It messes up sometimes, but I haven't seen it happen very much and it gives you a lot of bandwidth-saving options for people on 4G, international, or limited plans.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
It's 2:31 am and I need to game but I'm tired.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

I would like to see more empty quoting in the games sub forum that is my only real feedback thanks for moderating

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Kelp Plankton posted:

I would like to see more empty quoting in the games sub forum that is my only real feedback thanks for moderating

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS
This is a good sub forum simply because the mods don't do dumb things to remind us they have mod powers all of the time. Thank

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Honestly I've never had any gripe with any threads in games. Most of them work just fine, they really only get lovely when the game is lovely or when the thread was poo poo to begin with, in which case who cares?

Most of the actual interesting games have people seriously talking about them which is kind of ideal, I think? There's also fun threads like the awful mods thread where lax posting rules helps make it fun because it's mostly laughing at stuff.

Thunderdome was pretty good also.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Kelp Plankton posted:

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost
Games has been running with almost no real issues except for the one where you can't post in certain threads without running the risk of getting stalked by the mentally ill. Stricter moderation very likely wouldn't fix this either anyway.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I don't get why some people are so adverse to seeing posts more than a paragraph long but I think the forum is in a good place overall right now.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Internet Kraken posted:

I don't get why some people are so adverse to seeing posts more than a paragraph long but I think the forum is in a good place overall right now.
see, there are good big posts and bad big posts, but a bad big post is a thousand times worse than a bad small post, because there are a lot more words

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

why make many word when few word do

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Internet Kraken posted:

I have a learning disability

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

No Such Thing posted:

why make many word when few word do

Sometimes to explain something well you need to type more than usual, that's all.

Endorph posted:

see, there are good big posts and bad big posts, but a bad big post is a thousand times worse than a bad small post, because there are a lot more words

Fair enough.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
You won't like me when I'm longposting

NineBreaker
Oct 22, 2005

For a few years now, Games to me has been the Vita thread, the Fallout New Vegas thread, and anything XCOM. Other threads do not exist, largely because my Vita is my only gaming device; I read the Fallout and XCOM threads out of fond remembrance. One time I read the Pillars of Eternity thread but that was only to complain about how long it took for me to receive my physical copy (I received it late July because I am on an island--the internet is not reliable enough to download anything, and the other month we ran out of rice for several weeks). Of course the game doesn't work on my machine, but that's perhaps my fault as one of my laptops is rather old and the other lacks a disk drive. Perhaps in a year or so I will get the chance to enjoy it.

Overall I feel like Games is one of the healthier sections of SA. Ever since GBS became FYAD-lite it's the only part of SA I frequent with any regularity, save for occasionally checking Ask/Tell for something interesting (there often isn't). It makes me feel connected to the world outside my island. One time a goon even sent me some games (Killzone and Uncharted), so there's that.

On a few occasions I have read the Game Developers thread, which I have found to be unintentionally comedic as game developers take their jobs very, very seriously. It's actually a good thing for someone to care about their work, of course, but here in the Federated States of Micronesia one can become easily frustrated at how little foreign presences care about the place. These days I have more respect for game developers than I do the UN, IOM, the embassies of several nations, and a plethora of NGOs that seem to excel at causing abject and profound harm. Meanwhile, nobody knows or cares because let's face it: do *you* know where the Federated States of Micronesia is? So it's really nice to read about people who have passion for what they do. It makes me wonder if sometime I ought to work in the field.

If nothing else, I appreciate how SA still has some degree of discussion and passion. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong places, but I'm not aware of another site that offers what SA does. SA provided me a means of venting about Natural Doctrine, which is either the love of my life or as abusive and bad for me as my former fiance, and for that I am grateful.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

NineBreaker posted:

For a few years now, Games to me has been the Vita thread, the Fallout New Vegas thread, and anything XCOM. Other threads do not exist, largely because my Vita is my only gaming device; I read the Fallout and XCOM threads out of fond remembrance. One time I read the Pillars of Eternity thread but that was only to complain about how long it took for me to receive my physical copy (I received it late July because I am on an island--the internet is not reliable enough to download anything, and the other month we ran out of rice for several weeks). Of course the game doesn't work on my machine, but that's perhaps my fault as one of my laptops is rather old and the other lacks a disk drive. Perhaps in a year or so I will get the chance to enjoy it.

Overall I feel like Games is one of the healthier sections of SA. Ever since GBS became FYAD-lite it's the only part of SA I frequent with any regularity, save for occasionally checking Ask/Tell for something interesting (there often isn't). It makes me feel connected to the world outside my island. One time a goon even sent me some games (Killzone and Uncharted), so there's that.

On a few occasions I have read the Game Developers thread, which I have found to be unintentionally comedic as game developers take their jobs very, very seriously. It's actually a good thing for someone to care about their work, of course, but here in the Federated States of Micronesia one can become easily frustrated at how little foreign presences care about the place. These days I have more respect for game developers than I do the UN, IOM, the embassies of several nations, and a plethora of NGOs that seem to excel at causing abject and profound harm. Meanwhile, nobody knows or cares because let's face it: do *you* know where the Federated States of Micronesia is? So it's really nice to read about people who have passion for what they do. It makes me wonder if sometime I ought to work in the field.

If nothing else, I appreciate how SA still has some degree of discussion and passion. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong places, but I'm not aware of another site that offers what SA does. SA provided me a means of venting about Natural Doctrine, which is either the love of my life or as abusive and bad for me as my former fiance, and for that I am grateful.

awful

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

The Vita thread's mostly cool, the Steam thread is nice most of the time even if you can skip most of it and miss nothing and I don't mind the weird little community in the shark tank thread, well except for Stux.

Ban Stux.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Great Joe posted:

The Vita thread's mostly cool, the Steam thread is nice most of the time even if you can skip most of it and miss nothing and I don't mind the weird little community in the shark tank thread, well except for Stux.

Ban Stux.

I agree with everything in this post.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Healbot posted:

I agree with everything in this post.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

Omar strollin'
Games is pretty good lately! With the exception of the Chat threads repeatedly devolving into shitposters arguing with each other. Which is quite an acceptable loss.

We mostly need more good games to be released (Q3/4, I'm looking at you) to talk about. Stagnation of the forum is less of an issue because in a lot of ways major releases have slowed and stagnated.

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Jon Do posted:

Games is pretty good lately! With the exception of the Chat threads repeatedly devolving into shitposters arguing with each other. Which is quite an acceptable loss.

We mostly need more good games to be released (Q3/4, I'm looking at you) to talk about. Stagnation of the forum is less of an issue because in a lot of ways major releases have slowed and stagnated.

It's gonna be a little slow up until November, and then it's gonna get nuts

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

No Such Thing posted:

It's gonna be a little slow up until November, and then it's gonna get nuts

mgs5's in like two weeks and then mario maker's two weeks after that. welcome to the future

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Fungah! posted:

mgs5's in like two weeks and then mario maker's two weeks after that. welcome to the future

well, yea but that's compared to november's Fallout 4, Tomb Raider, Star Wars Battlefront, and Xcom 2 and then JC3 and Xenoblade the first week of december, and then there's 'smaller' titles like Anno, Need for speed, and trackmania.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

No Such Thing posted:

well, yea but that's compared to november's Fallout 4, Tomb Raider, Star Wars Battlefront, and Xcom 2 and then JC3 and Xenoblade the first week of december, and then there's 'smaller' titles like Anno, Need for speed, and trackmania.

There is a pretty good chance that at least half of those games are going to be not good. I'm probably going to buy them all anyways though.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

No Such Thing posted:

They compare favorably.

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

I agree, MGS V and mario maker are probably both better than anything on the list, but nov/dec is just dense and will make me into a poor.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
where will you play when SA dies

:iiam:

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

Omar strollin'
Probably with the Giant Bomb community, though I haven't played any games they were active in and we weren't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

when i dip you dip we dip

Ryoga posted:

Games has been running with almost no real issues except for the one where you can't post in certain threads without running the risk of getting stalked by the mentally ill. Stricter moderation very likely wouldn't fix this either anyway.

do you have examples of this because this is the first i've heard of this issue

• Locked thread