Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

when i dip you dip we dip
hello!!!!!!!!!!!!!

poo poo has been pretty good since last we spoke. E3 was pretty successful as far as Games goes and the bonus is that the forums didn't take a massive poo poo and die for 3 weeks like they did last year so hooray on that. Tried a new thing with Derek Smart that backfired and made me look stupid because that rear end in a top hat got too popular with a bunch of gaming news sites regarding his Star Citizen battle and determined, probably correctly so, that posting here didn't serve him any purpose. Just know that I tried like mad to get that fucker to probate a bunch of you :(

Couple things I want to go over and then you guys can have the floor.

1) I think the biggest thing is that people are STILL posting about how many new posts they see and what their thoughts are on how many new posts there are, like forums Raymond Babbitts or whatever (its fine if you dont get this really bad joke about Rain Man). Please stop doing this!!!!

2) Reports are at a pretty good place. There's one particular dude that generates a bunch of reports pretty much on a daily basis out of the DOTA thread and I'm not gonna say his name (Love Stole the Day) but other than that everything is pretty good and a lot of people have gotten used to not always expecting a novel length post when it comes to video games for gently caress sakes

As always, feel free to post your concerns, gripes, suggestions, whatever. Please don't think that they go ignored because they don't. I'll try to address them the best I can and when it comes to suggestions or forums features or whatever I always pass them up to the admins or the big man himself to see if its something feasible

GO!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

ColdPie posted:

Are the forums allowing people to use crap like "u" now? I thought we were at least above that.

Is this a serious problem with rampant use that I've somehow missed because as far as I can tell maybe 2 or 3 people do it and it's usually ironic.

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

ColdPie posted:

Guess that answers my question.

All I can go off is what I see in reports since it's not really feasible to see every post in every thread, and from what I have seen recently is maybe 1 report for Stux that mentioned his lovely typing. I elected to let it stand because it's Stux and he's a dumbass and I punish him a lot for other things that aren't really as minuscule as lovely typing

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

Blacula posted:

We need a dissertation length Smart Room postmortem

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3732645

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

Black Baby Goku posted:

Let's see the reports

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

Black Baby Goku posted:

What post, specifically please lol

Was it for calling Chinese people "insects" or what?

ya all the china posts from the dota tourney thread or whatever

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

Baal posted:

while we're at it, gas the vita thread please

imo gassing threads and telling people to take certain discussions to divvied up threads and poo poo is bad and dumb. i dont like the idea of controlling the natural flow of a conversation which is what a forum basically is and i especially dont like the idea of squashing something games related that people want to post about, regardless of whether i think theyre all dork nerds (xbox one sharktank guys) or not. i think my favorite thing about the sharktank thread or the star citizen thread or any other thread that may have been gassed in the past is that the posters within them are more often than not incredibly well behaved and that makes me extremely happy. i also love that i see virtually zero reports come out of those threads

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

Larry Parrish posted:

We live in a world where the Dota thread is way more toxic and retarded than the Kickstarter AIDS thread and the Xbox Has Wrong Ram MEGAThread.

the dota thread has always been toxic. nothing will ever change that. water is wet

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

Ciaphas posted:

I've never worked it out, is it the posters in there being generally terrible already, does something about the game and discussion of it make them terrible, a mix of the two, or what?

I know MOBAs or whatever we call them now make people horrible while playing them but I'd like to think that wouldn't translate into their posting oh who am I kidding :smith:

the thread is just a reflection of the moba community. a game that locks you into a 40 minute+ battle with 4 strangers is going to lead to a lot of anger. people want to post about mobas though and they pay 10 bucks so they should be able to and we've had enough time to look at it and understand that theres always going to be hostility in them so its best to just let the thread ride it out which its managed to do pretty well to this point

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

also

:ssj:

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

Mans posted:

how has Games posting activity been? Do we have less goons or more goons, or maybe more goons posting less or less goons posting more? Or is it basically a steady and constant thing?

good job on modearting Games although i'd like it if people posted more about games i like instead of games i don't like, but not too much cause i don't really like to read that much haha

not really that great honestly. like the rest of the forums, we're down active users. Games at this time last year averaged about 1300 active users and we're currently averaging about 1100 so yea. could be because reddit, or forums in general not doing as well, or moderation, or whatever.

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

Sigma-X posted:

Was the GBS change in response to the decline or prior to it?

I know I started using Reddit because there's no "general news / interests" forum here anymore. GBS used to be my landing page because if there was something that was interesting to general goons it would be interesting to me, but now it's just FYAD-lite and if I wanted idiot racism and misrepresentation of news articles I would go to fox news.

nah, changing GBS didn't really have much of anything to do with it. There was kind of fledgling forums userbase and then very high peak with bit torrent barnyard, and then the obvious dropoff after btb was shut down. there's been a steady but gradual decline since then but the main thing that caused the biggest drop in active users was the major outage last year. a lot of people just never came back and the numbers show

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

there other thing is that there was a spike of about 500 users during e3 across the entire forums but those were mostly all in games, and half of those were guests. the goal i would think would be to show those guests that the place is worth registering for but it just seems like it never happened.

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

Ryoga posted:

Games has been running with almost no real issues except for the one where you can't post in certain threads without running the risk of getting stalked by the mentally ill. Stricter moderation very likely wouldn't fix this either anyway.

do you have examples of this because this is the first i've heard of this issue

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

alright well thanks for the input. see you again in around 6 months

• Locked thread