Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rocks
Dec 30, 2011

Can Doobie run? We can give him $1,000,001 by labour day I bet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

TEAYCHES posted:

there is zero reason for lessig to run with sanders in the race other than to be a delusional egotist

so you admit he has a good reason.

also the young turks can be pretty drat dumb sometimes

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

This is what makes me think it's a scam and not egotism. Surely this guy has worked with ad people who have told him about the use of the word "hack" here. The only reason he could have for ignoring them and not using language that the little guy will understand ( that's who this campaign is supposed to be for, right?) is if the whole thing is about skimming off money from silicon valley types who do use the word hack in the non political sense on a daily basis.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
Am I misremembering or did some of the MayOne money end up disappearing mysteriously?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBxm-LcQyt0

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Exclamation Marx posted:

Am I misremembering or did some of the MayOne money end up disappearing mysteriously?

If they reached $5 million, then there would be matching funds from wealthy donors to raise the amount of money to $10 million. It seems the matching donors never materialized. Also, looking at their spending raised eyebrows.

http://dcinno.streetwise.co/2014/09/16/mayday-pacs-missing-5-million-the-groups-political-spending-leaves-much-to-be-desired/

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

everything about this disgusts me

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Exclamation Marx posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBxm-LcQyt0

This is basically this kind of 'activism' in a nutshell. A staffer said something lovely about how someone was 'disparaging veterans'? NO gently caress THAT HE SAID SOMETHING ABOUT D&D.

Man I fuckin play D&D and even I know that's not the part of that statement you go after!

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

I'd love to see Lessig in a actual Debate.

"...the next question is for Mr Lessig. What would be your policy towards Russian and the Ukraine?

Well, once again that would be a post-day one issue. So again, it would be up to whatever my Vice-President, who I will be selecting 6 months from now, after I have secured the nomination decides to do when he replaces me."

OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

I saw "Lessig announces presidential run" the other day and I was trying to figure out why the name looked familiar, then it hit me :allears:. I wish Boyko would come back and post again. I mean, this is fertile ground for talking up a Lessig presidential run!

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

OniPanda posted:

I saw "Lessig announces presidential run" the other day and I was trying to figure out why the name looked familiar, then it hit me :allears:. I wish Boyko would come back and post again. I mean, this is fertile ground for talking up a Lessig presidential run!

SedanChair's terrorism scared him off. :mad:

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

I can't believe that this man's plan is to be a less effective William Henry Harrison.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

oldswitcheroo posted:

I remember talking about return on investment on their big reddit thread and someone told me "Lessig is a Harvard professor, I'm pretty sure they'll invest in high RoI tactics" as if they had any inkling what those were.

Serious question: What tactics are high RoI?

Yard Signs? Long Form Infomercials from 10PM to 4AM?

Edit:
Full Disclosure. I am Lawrence Lessig.

Dr. Arbitrary has issued a correction as of 01:00 on Aug 20, 2015

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
Lessig should just stick to writing about Copyright law, because everything else he's done has been absolutely pathetic.

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Why cant his forehead fit in the screen

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Didn't The Young Turks jerk this guy off surprisingly hard, too? I remember some legitimate mainstream source was blowing him and his dumb 'no see if you make a SuperPAC for ME, then I'LL stop superPACs, with your SuperPAC money! Get money out of politics by putting money in my politics!"

Yeah, given how smart Cenk usually is about US politics (and only US politics, his understanding of world affairs leaves much to be desired) it was quite disappointing to see him supporting Lessig's schemes that are inferior in every way to already existing ideas from serious politicians and organizations (e.g. Sanders, and to a lesser extent even Cenk's own Wolf-PAC). I think Cenk and Larry are friends in real life so TYT's coverage on him is inherently biased.

Prosopagnosiac
May 19, 2007

One of us! One of us! Aqua Buddha! Aqua Buddha! One of us!

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Serious question: What tactics are high RoI?

Yard Signs? Long Form Infomercials from 10PM to 4AM?

Edit:
Full Disclosure. I am Lawrence Lessig.

http://www.amazon.com/Get-Out-Vote-Increase-Turnout/dp/0815732678

This book does a pretty good job of explaining it. The TL;DR version of it is this:

A lot of the conventional wisdom about what effective campaigning entails is flawed. People think that yard signs and TV ads are a big deal, but really the data doesn't bear that out. Basically TV ads only make a significant difference once you've spent enough to reach a saturation point, and the cost for every additional vote gained by it is enormous compared to other tactics. (This is especially true in smaller elections with lower turnout.) Other poo poo like robocalls are so ineffective that the candidates would be better off using the money to light cigars.

The playbook for what works is direct voter contact, voter registration drives, and door to door campaigning. That's one of the ways that Obama was able to upset Hillary in the 08 primary. He had more field offices, more volunteers doing phonebanking and more paid campaign staff helping with get out the vote efforts. Basically what people call "ground game" is what gives you the most bang for your buck in terms of getting people to vote. Which also makes sense on an intuitive level, I see and ignore 70 commercials a day, I may recognize a name from a yard sign, but that doesn't motivate me to go vote. A brief conversation with a real person face to face is what is going to stick in my mind.

Lessig blew all the Mayone PAC money on radio and Internet ads, because he's naive, and because he wanted to please the media people who gave him coverage in the first place.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Prosopagnosiac posted:

http://www.amazon.com/Get-Out-Vote-Increase-Turnout/dp/0815732678

This book does a pretty good job of explaining it. The TL;DR version of it is this:

Looks like a new edition is coming out next month. I wonder what's changed in the last seven years.

Prosopagnosiac
May 19, 2007

One of us! One of us! Aqua Buddha! Aqua Buddha! One of us!

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Looks like a new edition is coming out next month. I wonder what's changed in the last seven years.

Yeah, that will be interesting to read about. If I had to guess I think a lot of it will be focused on social media presence and advertising on Facebook and other social media platforms that really didn't exist seven years ago.

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

GreyjoyBastard posted:

SedanChair's terrorism scared him off. :mad:

SedanChair is a true hero.

also thank you lord satan for the bounty of this election

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Prosopagnosiac posted:

Yeah, that will be interesting to read about. If I had to guess I think a lot of it will be focused on social media presence and advertising on Facebook and other social media platforms that really didn't exist seven years ago.

I suspect that well designed Facebook campaigns might actually work, compared with random banner ads.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
What the hell is the citizen equality act? It sounds like some drat transhumanist thing.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Wanamingo posted:

What the hell is the citizen equality act? It sounds like some drat transhumanist thing.

It's like republican schemes to give people vouchers/tax credits for healthcare expenses. Except the voucher/credit is for your donation to a political campaign.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

I think I read a book by Lawrence Lessig once. I think it was Free Culture. It was decent iirc.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I suspect that well designed Facebook campaigns might actually work, compared with random banner ads.

Yeah, could be. I think the important thing is that it isn't good enough to get the voter to know your candidate's name or even to get them to 'like" your candidate. You have to get them invested. Good name ID and decent favorability ratings aren't enough to beat a strong opponent if their supporters are committed and energized and yours aren't. You can get name recognition up a million ways and favorability isn't that hard either, but the only way you can get uncertain voters to commit to your candidate is to ask them. There are some choices you can't really make for other people, no matter how shrewd your messaging is, and whether they'll get off their asses and vote is one of them. I think there can be real value in the sort of social media campaigning that encourages direct conversations and personal investment (IE: "So you hyped for Bernie?" "Not really..." "Oh, why not?"), but just tweeting into the void asking people to post their favorite emojis is probably pretty worthless.

maker
Jun 1, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
So why can this guy get money out of politics and sanders can't??

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

maker posted:

So why can this guy get money out of politics and sanders can't??

He has a super pac, Bernie is a dumb noob who thinks he can win without one (lol, idiot)

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

oldswitcheroo posted:

Also looking through all the stories, it looks like they mostly bought radio and internet ad spots. Money well spent chums! :thumbsup:

I remember talking about return on investment on their big reddit thread and someone told me "Lessig is a Harvard professor, I'm pretty sure they'll invest in high RoI tactics" as if they had any inkling what those were.

I could rant all day about how stupid their strategy was, but I'd rather just marvel that Brian Boyko posts to NSFW MLP forums under his actual birth name.

why didn't they hire campaign organizers and get out the vote people? no one gives a poo poo about ads if you dont have people on the ground

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

Top City Homo posted:

why didn't they hire campaign organizers and get out the vote people? no one gives a poo poo about ads if you dont have people on the ground

That would require social interaction.

potato of destiny
Aug 21, 2005

Yeah, welcome to the club, pal.
I am coming to the sad conclusion that the internet is a terrible place for idiots.

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

potato of destiny posted:

I am coming to the sad conclusion that the internet is a terrible place for idiots.

goondolences

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

lessig's plan for dealing congress: elect 50 mini-lessigs

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/8033838

quote:

Yet some are skeptical that would be enough. Some worry that a referendum president might be stranded in office, facing a Congress unwilling to act, and a mandate limited to a single, if fundamental issue. How long should the referendum president wait around? What if Congress never passes the promised reform?

The answer to this fair question was hinted at in my original announcement, but it deserves emphasis now. A referendum president would have an unprecedented mandate. But to guarantee this strategy would work takes not just a committed president. It also takes a committed Congress. And the way to earn that commitment is to complement a "referendum president" with "referendum representatives," elected to Congress at the same time, with the same purpose: to pass fundamental reform to make democracy possible.
So beginning in the primaries, and extending through the general election, we would encourage candidates to run for Congress -- ideally leaders in local communities, not necessarily politicians -- committed to support this single principle. And as those candidates emerged, they would put pressure on the incumbents in both parties to declare whether they were for or against the referendum. If the candidates in a district pledged to co-sponsor the Citizen Equality Act, then no candidate in that district would be needed. But if the question were contested, then a referendum representative -- running in either the Republican or Democratic primary, or, even better, as an independent -- would give voters a chance in that district to elect a representative who would support the Citizen Equality Act of 2017. That "referendum representative" may or may not choose to serve a complete term (the mechanism for replacing a member of the House is cumbersome). But whether she does or not, her first vote will be the reason she has been sent to Congress.

It would take less than fifty referendum representatives (with at least 4 in the Senate) to flip the control of Congress on this one issue -- not even counting the extraordinary mandate of the referendum president. Whether through a pledge, or an election, those referendum representatives could assure that the very first act of Congress would be to pass the most important civil rights legislation in 50 years -- the Citizen Equality Act.

finally i will be able to vote for brian bokyo

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

https://www.reddit.com/r/Lessig2016/comments/3iencw/bernie_supporters_on_reddit_who_are_scared_of/

lessigs dozen supporters are Mad At Bernie

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
If Bernie is stopped by Lessig, it was never meant to be in the first place.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

So did we ever figure out if Lessig is actually mentally ill or just running a con? His messages are decently formatted and use complete sentences with lots of good buzzwords, but everything is... off. He'll act like he's answering a question, but respond with a complete non sequitur. He keeps huffily insisting that his "Referendum Presidency (tm)" means he doesn't have to deal with every other issue, but won't say who will be dealing with this stuff. A POTUS and CIC will have a thousand decisions to make before he's even sworn in. You can't just ignore cabinet appointments, diplomatic postings, military decision-making, and everything else just because they're not your preferred issue. Who is he trying it kid (besides clueless single-issue liberals)?

I also find it hilarious that he keeps getting annoyed with people for asking questions about his vague non-plan he already touched on them in his announcement.

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man
Lessig is a totally scampaigner. MayOne Pac was a scampaign and this is too.

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

:lol:

https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/3icikb/we_are_larry_lessig_presidential_candidate_maybe/cufhw17?context=3

seriously gently caress that guy

brian boyko and him were made for each other

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Zikan posted:

lessig's plan for dealing congress: elect 50 mini-lessigs

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/8033838

finally i will be able to vote for brian bokyo

Robert Anton Wilson's plan was better:

quote:

The Guns and Dope Party is a United States political party envisioned by cult author Robert Anton Wilson. While the party has proposals that can be considered generally libertarian and anarchist in its principles, it presents these positions in a facetious manner, and advocates extremely absurd things, for example replacing one third of Congress with ostriches. This is consistent with Robert Anton Wilson’s and chaotic Discordianism’s tradition of advocating freedom through parody and surrealism. Indeed, this school of thought regards dogma as the main root of humanity’s evils and holds the view that people shouldn’t take things - or themselves - too seriously.
The party’s political ideology stems from Wilson’s insight that “every ostrich is a tsar” - that is, a radical political belief that each individual should be capable of governing him/herself. Guns and Dope has consistently supported “everybody” for President of the United States, where voters are encouraged to write-in their own name on the ballot.

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man
His criticism of Bernie Sanders is that Bernie Sanders is trying to win the election. Clearly, the ideal way to campaign is to lose (and get lots of money and notoriety for your trouble).

oldswitcheroo
Apr 27, 2008

The bombers opened their bomb bay doors, exerted a miraculous magnetism which shrunk the fires, gathered them into cylindrical steel containers, and lifted the containers into the bellies of the planes.

Top City Homo posted:

Because despite this being the overwhelming conclusion of all GOTV research of the past 20 years, idiots pay more attention to ads, and they think that other idiots are voting based on it, when even the most idiotic person is likely not making that decision based on ads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme
with 10 mill you can start your own political party

lessig is truly the worst kind of piece of poo poo:

an incompetent piece of poo poo

• Locked thread