Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004
Hey guys. My wedding is next month, and with all the ceremony and reception planning craziness, we haven't had a chance to actually book/plan the honeymoon yet. We want to leave a couple days after the wedding and spend 10 days in Hawaii (effectively 8 days to do stuff since the first and last would mostly be travel). Neither of us have been there before, so we could really use some help figuring out how many/which island(s) to visit, where to stay, how to get around, etc.

In general, we like doing touristy things when we visit a place for the first time. We've been getting into hiking on our last couple trips to national parks, so we'd definitely like to go hiking in Hawaii as well, and see great views and waterfalls and such in the process. No camping overnight or anything, just medium to short hikes (under 10 miles). I'd also really like to see a volcano, with or without actual lava. We're not big beach fans, but we'd probably want a beach day just because we're there. We also might be interested in some lighter water activities like kayaking or snorkeling; not much beyond that since she's not the greatest swimmer. And of course, we like good food.

In terms of accommodations, usually we try to find the most reasonably priced hotels/bed & breakfasts around, but this being a honeymoon, we'd like to splurge a bit and spend maybe 3-5 nights in a more expensive, fancy hotel or resort. We know very little about those since we haven't stayed in one before.

Thanks for any recommendations or advice to help save our trip and sanity!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
Have you considered not going to Hawaii if you don't like the ocean or the beach...? I mean seriously, what the hell?

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004

Taima posted:

Have you considered not going to Hawaii if you don't like the ocean or the beach...? I mean seriously, what the hell?

Um, as far as I know, it's perfectly valid to go to Hawaii and only spend a part of the time on beaches or in the water. It sure looks to me like the parks and hikes and such are pretty nice.

I just don't know which islands are most ideal for that or whether we can feasibly do more than one island given the length of our trip.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf
If you like tropical but not all that interested in water activities I would recommend costa rica. Its way more interesting than Hawaii, they have a volcano and more national parks than you can visit. The wildlife, flora and fauna beats hawaii hands down. We stayed at "si como no" http://www.sicomono.com/ in manuel antonio and "Villa Blanca cloud forest and spa" just north of San Ramon. http://www.villablanca-costarica.com/ Both places were amazing.

We rented a car and just traveled around the country stopping where we wanted. It was easy and fun. The water is drinkable, the people are friendly, the roads are smooth and well maintained. You don't need to rent a 4x4 a compact car would be adequate.

r0ck0 fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Aug 14, 2015

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
It's a huge waste of time and money to go to Hawaii if you are going to spend one day at the beach (your words). like Rocko said, Costa Rica is really awesome- I'm actually going there in a few weeks for a surf trip. Rainforest hikes, cloud forest, so much to do.

you honestly sound like someone who knows of Hawaii as a stereotypically nice place to honeymoon so you just kinda went for it, which I would not recommend. Try to figure out what you want to do, and THEN figure out the best place to do it, not the other way around.

Beyond that I'm kind of confused because you don't seem to specifically want to do much. You want to go to the beach, but only for a day. You want to do water activities, but only the lightest varieties. You want to hike, but just started hiking.

First- why do you want a tropical destination? I see nothing in your post that explains why you would want that, and honestly, tropical destinations are hot and humid. That's fine if you're there to do tropical things, but may I suggest the mid-latitudes if you're just going somewhere to hike a bit and chill?

Banff would be a great option, it's one of my favorite places in the world, great food, best hiking ever, ritzy accomodations like the Fairmont Banff Springs... and B+Bs in Canada are usually extremely chill and excellent in my experience.

I/We are happy to help but we need information about what you ACTUALLY want to do if you could go anywhere, not the things that you would kind of enjoy if you had to go to Hawaii.

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax

TheEye posted:

In terms of accommodations, usually we try to find the most reasonably priced hotels/bed & breakfasts around

LOL, stay away from Oahu, even though it has all of the other stuff you want to do. Get an Oahu hiking guide book, go on some hikes, go find Jackass Ginger for a good dip, take a snorkel in Hanauma bay, eat ice cream and pizza at the Costco near it, visit the plentiful Walmarts, watch someone do meth, eat spam if you're not vegetarian, and get called a loving haole buy at least 300 people. Go ome $2k poorer after a week.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Costa Rica or Peru could both be great for you. Hawaii sounds like a really underwhelming time.

What is your budget for this?

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004
Well, thanks for the somewhat surprising responses. We do actually have future plans to visit both Peru and Costa Rica, but not this time around.

Taima posted:

you honestly sound like someone who knows of Hawaii as a stereotypically nice place to honeymoon so you just kinda went for it, which I would not recommend. Try to figure out what you want to do, and THEN figure out the best place to do it, not the other way around.

I/We are happy to help but we need information about what you ACTUALLY want to do if you could go anywhere, not the things that you would kind of enjoy if you had to go to Hawaii.
I appreciate that you want to help us figure out the absolute perfect destination. The idea is that we've done a decent amount of traveling together and will be doing a lot more in the years to come. Hawaii is one of the many places we'd like to visit at some point, and it just so happens to fit best into this particular vacation slot for a variety of reasons. If we're really unable to make a good trip out of the things we like to do most, then we'll just find other things to do there instead.

For what it's worth, I have acquaintances who have had a great time in Hawaii without spending much time on the beach; I know it can be done, I'm just light on details. Yes, it might be more ideal to do these things elsewhere, but we'll go to those places too if we haven't been already. We made our choice this time around, so I'll guess we'll figure something out.

runawayturtles fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Aug 19, 2015

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf
If you are set on going to hawaii I would recommend the big island as it is the biggest, the least crowded and probably cheapest. When I first went to maui it was much smaller than I expected, when I went to the big island it was what I imaged maui to be like. Also its the only island with active volcanoes if you want to see lava. Much more to see on land as there is more of it and more variety in the types of micro climates. They still have farms, coffee and macadamia nut plantations and they have a state run aquaculture facility which was interesting to see. We stayed on the kona coast and made a couple trips around the island.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

If you go to Maui spend a day doing the drive to Hana. Spend another day at the beach. Snorkel near black rock if you are by Kanapali

Spend another day at Haleakala crater,try to do the bike if it's open and they still let you do that. Hike the Kapalua coastal trail.

You could go to the aquarium for half a day. Lahaina is fun too for a bit.

It's tough to wrap my head around not spending time at the beach, I wish I was more helpful. I would suggest looking at VRBO for your housing, even for the hotel/resort bits as lots of people own their condos and put them up for rent for less than if you got a room from the property directly.

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004
Thanks!

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Jesus christ you people are terrible, there's plenty to do in Hawaii if you've never been there and are willing to island hop. As someone who hates the beach but does like snorkeling and has been to Hawaii quite a bit on family vacations and just got back last week from Big Island and Oahu, and has also been to Maui a few times, here is my recommendation list with no idea of budget, origin, how loving fat or old or lazy you are, or what the weather will be like for you (because it was loving dire last week):

You will likely fly into Honolulu airport regardless of which islands you want to go, but I would not suggest Oahu for a vacation. We spent two full days there and saw everything we wanted to with time to spare, including Pearl Harbor and hiking Diamond Head. What you should try to do is get an early-ish flight in on a weekday (if you're in PST the clocks rewind 3 hours so getting in around noon should be doable) and before you hop to your destination island grab a cab from the airport and do the Pearl Harbor USS Arizona memorial. You can reserve tickets in advance for this, and it's only a few miles from the airport and lasts 3 hours max. Go back to the airport and leave Oahu.

Pick Maui or Big Island. Maui is a nicer, more compact island but a bit more reliant on beach/snorkel and may I think is more expensive. Big Island has much more non-beach (because it's big) but also requires a fuckload more driving (because it's big). IMO you should try to do both if you have a full 8 days, maybe a 5-3 split, starting with Big Island (you will relax more on Maui).

Big Island tourist activities of varying $$$ :
Manta ray evening snorkel - this is in Kona. You pay ~$90 to float on the surface off a boat 100 yards from a rock shore, and it's really loving cool. I think I'm pretty cynical towards touristy poo poo and I spent a ferocious amount of time and effort wrangling 20+ family members of all ages to come along so I was not in a good mood when it started and this was a really amazing experience assuming you get what I got, which is about 4 manta rays swimming around, going at your face, getting really close, etc. We even bought the $20 trip DVD which sits on some shelf. There is also a scuba and/or snorkel version that goes off the airport which supposedly has more mantas BUT runs a 50/50 chance of a no-show, whereas the one I did apparently has a 95% of mantas (they also had a guarantee of sorts), just not as many.

Volcanos National Park - this is closer to Hilo, and I would suggest splitting your stay on the island on both halves. Yeah this means changing hotels and whatnot but otherwise I think the drive from the Kona area to Volcanos is 3-4 hours each way. Do you really want to do that? Anyway, national park, has hiking, lava tubes, visitor center, etc. Assume lava will not be flowing out because it never seems to be for me.

Mauna Kea - kinda in the middle. The other huge loving mountain. Pay $200+/person for an evening where they feed you at the visitor station (this is where you acclimate to the altitude) and then drive you up to the top where all the observatories are. If you're sweating down below you'll be in a parka at the top regardless of how cold you like things because I love the cold and this was loving freezing. You can see Maui from the top. You don't get to go into the observatories because they're worth more than you, although maybe other tours exist. Our tour stopped partway down and had their own higher-end backyard telescope and you could look at planets or whatever, it's super-clear up top.

Do you like beer? Kona Brewing is in Kona (the on-site brewery beer is better than the garbage they bottle) and Big Island Brewing, which is better and has dirt cheap food, is about an hour or so from there in Waimea. Fun to drive around I guess.

Snorkeling - you can pay for a tour that takes you to Cpt. Cook Bay or just investigate on your own in advance. The Kona side has various places to snorkel, dunno how much quality vs effort you want but Cook is a safe bet and the boats tend to stop somewhere else on the way too. Alternatively IIRC drive to Beach 69, it was fine. Do not try to not pay for a Cook tour or get there by kayak, read up on this.

There's other hiking, tours, etc. I'm blacking out on the name of the big valley/falls on the NE side, it's pretty. Maybe explore around. Do a coffee plantation tour and tell me if it's as boring as it looks. Don't go to the greensand beach, it sucks. There, that's Big Island for about 5 days.

Maui:
Check out Hana, go to the 7 Sacred Pools, snorkel again, do whatever hike there is in the volcano crater, relax for a couple days, go home.

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

Things I did in Hawaii that were awesome and did not involve water, really:
  • Skydive on Oahu. Only really interesting thing I did on Oahu besides Pearl Harbor, which is good if you are into history, WW2, etc. Yeah you can skydive anywhere but the view is incredible.
  • Big island: I had fun just driving around, the landscape was really interesting.
  • Hilo farmers market
  • Mauna Kea - amazing drive at or around sunset. Stay to watch the stars. If you live in a light polluted city or have never seen the milky way you are really missing out. This is one of the top dark sky spots on earth. When we were there the uni astronomy people were there with really nice telescopes pointing out interesting things. Drive to the top is worth it although not a ton to do at the very top as opposed to the visitor center level. FWIW I drove up in a Ford Fusion rental, I was not told not to drive up there, it's really no problem in good weather, just watch out for altitude sickness (you may be driving from sea level to 14000 feet in a few hours - I felt like I was getting drunk at the top and had to go back down to visitors level ~12000 feet).
  • Volcanoes park even if you don't see lava has some interesting stuff, the caldera is neat. Apparently there are boat/helo tours that have a better shot of seeing lava.
  • Toured an organic farm on Kona side that grew coffee and all kinds of stuff including some strange and delicious fruits I had never heard of.
  • On Kauai Waimea canyon is amazing and has lots of hiking.
  • On Kauai there is also a somewhat famous hike around Hanalei that goes to a nice beach and waterfall and is a 1 or 2 day outing, depending. Kauai seemed more laid back even by HI standards, up to you whether it's worth an additional island hop.

Edit: Hawaii was awesome I will definitely go back even though I don't spend a ton of time in the water, these people are being ridiculous.
Edit2: Was never called a haole at least to my face, good enough for me, don't be a douchebag and likely others will follow.

Infinotize fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Aug 22, 2015

Rama of Ra
Sep 7, 2005
~Where's Sitka? Right about the middle of your thumb.~
Don't listen to all of these idiots who think that you need to love the beach to enjoy being in Hawaii. The big island alone has 11 out of 13 climate zones and theres more than enough things to see and more than enough environments to enjoy that you don't need to care about the beach.

In my mind, your biggest question is whether you want to have a semi ritzy affair, or whether you want something a little slower and more down to earth. This is probably the biggest question that will effect where you want to book and what Island you want to be on. Even on the more popular islands, there are multiple opportunities to have either or.

I would recommend the big Island, simply because I think it has the most stuff to actually go and see, even though it may not have the most entertainment. There's volcanoes, there's more than enough hikes, there's the southernmost point in the United States... There's more than I could see in ten years, you'll have more than enough for 10 days.

Volcano National Park, of course. There's been activity in the last year so you'll probably see gas vents if not lava in the caldera.

The Mona loa observatory has weekly telescope viewing sessions at its visitor center.

South point is on of the most beautiful places I've ever been, and if your lucky you'll get to watch some kids cliff jumping.

Rainbow and Akaka falls on the East side are both gorgeous.

I always have more enthusiasm at the beginning of the phone post them to ever finish out strong. But seriously, the big Island is amazing and I always recommend people to people that they should see it at some point in their life.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Infinotize posted:

[*]Toured an organic farm on Kona side that grew coffee and all kinds of stuff including some strange and delicious fruits I had never heard of.

This sounds cool. How much time would you recommend spending there?

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

Rama of Ra posted:

Don't listen to all of these idiots who think that you need to love the beach to enjoy being in Hawaii. The big island alone has 11 out of 13 climate zones and theres more than enough things to see and more than enough environments to enjoy that you don't need to care about the beach.

This. Everyone telling you Hawaii would be a waste is an idiot and/or potentially hasn't been there. The big island has a lot going on.

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004
Now there are the posts I was hoping for. Extremely helpful, thanks guys. Definitely enough info to plan a good trip, guess I know what I'm doing most of the day tomorrow.

Zachack posted:

or what the weather will be like for you (because it was loving dire last week):

Sure hope it gets nice again soon, because the 10 day forecast is just about entirely rain.

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

sellouts posted:

This sounds cool. How much time would you recommend spending there?

I went to this place, it was just a couple of hours, but it was neat. We were the only people there and ended up sitting around eating fruits and macadamia butter and drinking coffee (all stuff they grow and make). http://www.kuaiwifarm.com/ I'm sure there are other similar options, too.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
Costa Rica f*cking rules.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

TheEye posted:

Now there are the posts I was hoping for. Extremely helpful, thanks guys. Definitely enough info to plan a good trip, guess I know what I'm doing most of the day tomorrow.

Sure hope it gets nice again soon, because the 10 day forecast is just about entirely rain.

Rain would have been a blessing, it was high 80s with high humidity and low wind where I was, basically a week+ of "feels like 97". But if you come from somewhere like Florida it's probably normal.

quote:

The big island has a lot going on.
It does but the driving time is rough and that really can't be discounted, although the driving is very pretty as long as you aren't on the Kona coast.

If you're on the Kona side they have a farmers market in Kona with all the goofy fruit you can stand. Most of it is a lot less tasty than it looks, but the mangostein is good if you like eating what looks like a gooey testicle that tastes like a pleasant grape (don't eat the rind/husk/purple zone it's awful).

Wherever you go ask around for the best shave ice and get it with ice cream. Hawaiians love their sugar. Also malasadas.

If you don't mind forking out a bit of cash for something pretty touristy there is always a luau. We went to the Waikaloa Marriott one, my wife was pleased. If you are going to Maui they supposedly have the best one, the name has something like "old" or "classic" in it. Dig around on yelp.

Ruttiger
Nov 3, 2004

The music itself is changing.
If one was going on a week long "break from work" trip, and wanted to spend time relaxing at the beach and maybe a bit of partying and socialising (1'm 29) without being too gross. which island/activities would you fine folks recommend? A friend recently went to Kauai and said it was nice, but I'm hearing a lot of love for Big Island here.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Without knowing just how much partying you want to do I would say Maui. I never got the impression that big island has a lot of nightlife and the size does impact population density.

Maybe Oahu, it's where the majority of the population is?

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004

Thanks again for the post, we have everything booked at this point and we're doing the majority of your suggestions. Should be awesome.

Also, mangosteen is my fiancee's favorite fruit, she's going to be so excited to see them for sale.

Ghetto SuperCzar
Feb 20, 2005

Coming from someone who previously hated swimming at beaches before going to Hawaii: give it a shot with snorkeling stuff. The sand there is somehow softer, the water warm. You see lots of cool poo poo pretty much anywhere. I went from hating being in the ocean to pretty much making it my hobby. My honeymoon plans of hiking went out the window and we just snorkeled the whole time.

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004

Ghetto SuperCzar posted:

Coming from someone who previously hated swimming at beaches before going to Hawaii: give it a shot with snorkeling stuff. The sand there is somehow softer, the water warm. You see lots of cool poo poo pretty much anywhere. I went from hating being in the ocean to pretty much making it my hobby. My honeymoon plans of hiking went out the window and we just snorkeled the whole time.

Yeah, we're back from the trip, and did enjoy snorkeling a couple times. Aside from the awesome manta ray snorkeling, we spent most of our "relax on the beach" day snorkeling with rented gear. Never got tired of following turtles around.

STOPpre
Jun 15, 2009

TheEye posted:

Hey guys. My wedding is next month, and with all the ceremony and reception planning craziness, we haven't had a chance to actually book/plan the honeymoon yet. We want to leave a couple days after the wedding and spend 10 days in Hawaii (effectively 8 days to do stuff since the first and last would mostly be travel). Neither of us have been there before, so we could really use some help figuring out how many/which island(s) to visit, where to stay, how to get around, etc.

Since I'm in the same position, but with plenty more time to plan a trip I don't feel like starting a parallel thread, I hope everyone can continue their recommendations:

Planning a two week Honeymoon for the back-half of September in Hawaii (any weather concerns?). Plan is to do three Islands; The Big Island, Maui and Kauai.
Probably going to try to squeeze the USS Arizona in either the day we land or the day we depart, otherwise I have no desire to stay on Oahu.

Can I hear some recommendations as to how some of you with experience would split their time between these three islands, and what their top picks are for each?

-The wifey-to-be and I are both swimmers, so snorkeling and beach lounging is high on the list.
- I have a huge desire to go to Volcano Nat'l Park
- The road to Hana has also been conveyed as a must do. (how crowded does this get? And would doing it in an old 356 Porsche Speedster make it more fun?)

Beyond this I don't have much in terms of ideas, so I appreciate all the suggestions you may have. Budget is decently high for the trip, so recommend anything short of "hire a private helicopter every day and tell him to take you everywhere." Thanks Goons!!

Fuckface McGee
Jul 26, 2005

He was a real crazy muhfucka, too. He was... sinister.
Big Island: Snorkel with manta rays. Do the trip from the boat dock near the Sheraton Hotel. I've heard bad things from people who started from the other place (sorry I don't know where that is exactly). Also, go over to the volcanos national park and stay near there. If you have military ID, stay at a cabin in Kilauea Mountain Camp. It is right in the national park and not too expensive. The lava takes a different path all the time and it has recently been flowing on private property. When you first get there, try to arrange a walking tour with a local. They will get necessary permissions and take you directly to flowing lava. I only found out about this on the last day which was too late so no lava for me.

Maui: Haleakala is nice. You can do the sliding sands trail and walk down the mountain and hitch back up to the top in a day if you are adventurous. The drive to hana is overrated I think, but I am used to that kind of scenery living on Oahu. There won't be many whales in September so no whale watching. One thing I would recommend is to take the ferry to Lanai and rent a Jeep. You can drive around Lanai and take the ferry back on the same day. Lanai has a different feel than Maui because there aren't many people there.

Kauai: I haven't been to this island for a while. See Waimea canyon. We took a snorkeling trip to the Na Pali coast, it was pretty nice. You can also take a snorkel trip to Niihau if you want. I haven't done that but it's on my list.

Oahu: This island is crowded. If you go to the Arizona then make sure you reserve ahead of time. I heard tickets are hard to get (but free?). There is plenty of good hiking in Oahu because there are so many people so there are plenty of trails. I would recommend Olomana Peak (may be scary, do not attempt if trail is muddy), Makapu lighthouse (easy), and Koko Head (steep). All have great views. Maybe Kuli'ou'ou ridge trail too for a nice view. Hiking up diamond head is easy and touristy. Waikiki is like Las Vegas without the gambling, very crowded and lots of nightlife. People who don't like Waikiki and want to stay in Oahu may want to get a vacation rental in Kailua or Hawaii Kai. These places are filled with mainland transplants (like me) and will appeal to tourists. Obama stays at a place in Kailua beach every Christmas. Also, I would recommend driving the H3 freeway into Kaneohe/Kailua. It has a magnificent view when you get out of the tunnel. Snorkel Shark's cove in the summer (summer has calm waves in the North Shore, you will die if you snorkel here in the winter). Same with Waimea Beach (come early, parking is insane).

STOPpre
Jun 15, 2009

Thanks for the suggestions!

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004

STOPpre posted:

Since I'm in the same position, but with plenty more time to plan a trip I don't feel like starting a parallel thread, I hope everyone can continue their recommendations:

You can't go wrong with anything mentioned in this thread, it was all great.

Going to Pearl Harbor during the airport layover turned out well. It's a quick 15 minute cab ride away, and there's paid luggage storage while you're walking around. But, if you want to take the small ferry to the USS Arizona, you need to get there early enough (the last trip is at 3pm), and you need to reserve your tickets online as early as possible, because they do sell out quickly.

Five days was a pretty good amount of time for us on the big island. One day to see a coffee plantation, walk around town, and do the manta ray night snorkel, one day to go down the Kona coast to various beaches, one day for Mauna Kea, one day to drive to and hike in Volcanoes National Park, and one day to drive up through Hilo and see some waterfalls and the botanical gardens. The one caveat is that we ran out of time at Volcanoes by an hour or two (couldn't finish a hike because the sun set), but it would have been perfectly timed with an earlier start.

For you I might recommend adding another day for beaches, or replacing the Mauna Kea day. I personally enjoyed it a lot, and sunset from the top is pretty incredible, but the value of the trip also depends on whether you're also going up Haleakala (we did), you've seen similar views of the stars before (we had), and whether you stay awake during the bus ride to hear the interesting history of the island (my wife did not).

For Maui, we did the full Hana circle drive in a day, which was nice, but a bit of a rush. We stopped at a bunch of waterfalls along the way, but didn't have quite enough time for the full hike we planned at Kipahulu. The red sand beach in Hilo was cool to see, it seemed like a secret cove that most people couldn't figure out how to find. If you go around the back roads like we did, you definitely need a car/truck with a decent suspension, there's approximately a million potholes and it wasn't easy to get ours (a station wagon I think?) through. The drive is probably a bit overrated, but we didn't regret doing it.

We didn't find too much to do over on the west side, there are mostly a lot of resorts, beaches, and people. We had some extra time to walk along a beach and see the whaling museum, but it's not a necessary visit by any means.

The Haleakala summit is pretty awesome, though we didn't do the sunrise so I can't speak to that. I would have liked to hike down into the crater if we had more time there. We did bike all the way down though, and that was a lot of fun.

Can't speak about Kauai at all, but otherwise if you have any more specific questions I'll definitely try to help.

Mr.AARP
Apr 20, 2010

I was born after Kurt Cobain died. Now you feel old.

Fuckface McGee posted:

Oahu: This island is crowded. If you go to the Arizona then make sure you reserve ahead of time. I heard tickets are hard to get (but free?). There is plenty of good hiking in Oahu because there are so many people so there are plenty of trails. I would recommend Olomana Peak (may be scary, do not attempt if trail is muddy), Makapu lighthouse (easy), and Koko Head (steep). All have great views. Maybe Kuli'ou'ou ridge trail too for a nice view. Hiking up diamond head is easy and touristy. Waikiki is like Las Vegas without the gambling, very crowded and lots of nightlife. People who don't like Waikiki and want to stay in Oahu may want to get a vacation rental in Kailua or Hawaii Kai. These places are filled with mainland transplants (like me) and will appeal to tourists. Obama stays at a place in Kailua beach every Christmas. Also, I would recommend driving the H3 freeway into Kaneohe/Kailua. It has a magnificent view when you get out of the tunnel. Snorkel Shark's cove in the summer (summer has calm waves in the North Shore, you will die if you snorkel here in the winter). Same with Waimea Beach (come early, parking is insane).

Thanks for the suggestions! I'll be staying near Kailua at Marine Corps Base Kanehoe Bay with some family friends (I have a military ID to get on base) and have been looking for some activities to plan. I arrive on the 20th of this month and leave on the 27th.

Can anyone recommend a dive shop in this area?

MichaelFlatley
Nov 11, 2002
Can anyone recommend which island is best if neither myself or my partner drive? Are cabs plentiful and reasonably cheapish?

BeepBoopBatman
Apr 21, 2008
Sorry to bump such an old thread, but I was hoping to get a bit of advice! My partner and I are headed to Oahu for a brief six day trip in June and we were wondering whether or not renting a car is worth it. Our hotel is in Waikiki right on the beach, and we mostly intend to be lazy and mostly just do beach-y things anyway, but if we decided to venture inward are taxis/public transportation fine? We'd also like to do some kind of wildlife viewing, like go birdwatching or go snorkeling to see dolphins/rays... any recommendations? Thanks!

Miranda
Dec 24, 2004

Not a cuttlefish.

Mr.AARP posted:

Thanks for the suggestions! I'll be staying near Kailua at Marine Corps Base Kanehoe Bay with some family friends (I have a military ID to get on base) and have been looking for some activities to plan. I arrive on the 20th of this month and leave on the 27th.

Can anyone recommend a dive shop in this area?

That's where I am now!! And welcome all suggestions! We walked up to Makapu pretty much when we got here and it was gorgeous and good to get moving after the flights. But I'd been awake for about 36 hours at that point having worked night shift then gone to the airport.

The Gardenator
May 4, 2007

Yams Fan

BeepBoopBatman posted:

Sorry to bump such an old thread, but I was hoping to get a bit of advice! My partner and I are headed to Oahu for a brief six day trip in June and we were wondering whether or not renting a car is worth it. Our hotel is in Waikiki right on the beach, and we mostly intend to be lazy and mostly just do beach-y things anyway, but if we decided to venture inward are taxis/public transportation fine? We'd also like to do some kind of wildlife viewing, like go birdwatching or go snorkeling to see dolphins/rays... any recommendations? Thanks!

Uber is pretty popular in downtown Honolulu/Waikiki. Then there is the public bus for cheap travel all over the island.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

lol just read this thread for the first time and holy poo poo all of the "hawaii is only good for its beaches" responses are hilarious

BeepBoopBatman posted:

Driving in Honolulu is a lovely experience, you can easily get around via taxi/bus in Honolulu. If you want to get out and explore the island then IIRC they have ZipCar

Personally I think that Honolulu is a bad place to do the lazy beach thing, is it too late to move your hotel to like the north shore or a whole different island altogether? Maui and the Big Island have some of the best beaches in the world

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

MichaelFlatley posted:

Can anyone recommend which island is best if neither myself or my partner drive? Are cabs plentiful and reasonably cheapish?

Maui has a bus system that can take you to most of the good places, and there are bus tours that go to Hana if you're interested in that. Oahu has that too

Seph
Jul 12, 2004

Please look at this photo every time you support or defend war crimes. Thank you.
Sorry to bump an old thread but I don't see another Hawaii one in this forum. How feasible is it to bike around the Honolulu area to see the main sites? I was hoping to rent two bikes with my girlfriend for a few days and see Pearl Harbor, Diamond Head, Hanauma, etc. without having to drive around or get cabs. We would be based in Waikiki, we are in good shape, and we bike moderately often in NYC. However NYC has tons of protected lanes and is relatively flat, while from what I'm reading Honolulu only has a few bike lanes and can be quite hilly.

USMC_Karl
Nov 17, 2003

SUPPORTER OF THE REINSTATED LAWFUL HAWAIIAN GOVERNMENT. HAOLES GET OFF DA `AINA.

Seph posted:

Sorry to bump an old thread but I don't see another Hawaii one in this forum. How feasible is it to bike around the Honolulu area to see the main sites? I was hoping to rent two bikes with my girlfriend for a few days and see Pearl Harbor, Diamond Head, Hanauma, etc. without having to drive around or get cabs. We would be based in Waikiki, we are in good shape, and we bike moderately often in NYC. However NYC has tons of protected lanes and is relatively flat, while from what I'm reading Honolulu only has a few bike lanes and can be quite hilly.

I've not lived in HNL for going on 9 years now, but I wouldn't really recommend it based on what I remember. As you said, there really aren't that many protected lanes for bikes. If you are really just planning on hanging out in Honolulu you can get around using the bus. It won't be very convenient, and you'll waste a lot of time waiting for it, but it covers a lot of HNL.

Otherwise, I'd really recommend just renting a car. If it's a cost thing, I can recommend a decently priced place that I use everytime I go back to the islands. You'll spend around anywhere from $30 - 70 a day depending on your selection of car and if you opt for insurance, but you'll also be able to go see more of the island.

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

I'm going to be heading to Maui and Kauai for my honeymoon, does anyone have recommendations for good hotels? We'll be doing a week on each. For Kauai, I think we're going to want to stay on the north shore, but I'm not sure which part of Maui would be the best. Leaning towards staying at a larger resort style place on Maui and a smaller one on Kauai, but we're open to either style.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I quite like renting from VRBO in Maui but if you love pools the hotels on Kanapaali have some nice ones.

• Locked thread