Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Bad Seafood posted:

How much longer would you like this thread stickied for, In Training?

Until the next simul starts would be good. When that happens I think I'll link to the next simulwatch, close this one and open a general Haruhi thread for people to continuing discussing in because I think there's a renewed interest. Maybe make a general KyoAni thread as a catch all because I might watch Lucky Star again soon?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

Zas posted:

linnaeus you still crankin out the gifs or did imgur break your spirit?

they're still coming but the internet here is so slow!!!

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

In Training posted:

Until the next simul starts would be good. When that happens I think I'll link to the next simulwatch, close this one and open a general Haruhi thread for people to continuing discussing in because I think there's a renewed interest. Maybe make a general KyoAni thread as a catch all because I might watch Lucky Star again soon?

I'm going to post the OP for the next simul this week.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I want to finish EE before I post it, though.

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

i really like the lighting in this movie

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

GorfZaplen posted:

I'm going to post the OP for the next simul this week.

I'm very interested in it, I have seen very little 60s anime and I'm curious what it has to offer

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Linnaeus posted:

The constant headlights was nearly like, bragging at the quality of their animation

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Linnaeus posted:

wonderful, I was hoping you would get this exact part when I was hunting for screens last night

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

do you prefer the regular clubroom

or the christmas party clubroom?

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Linnaeus posted:

do you prefer the regular clubroom

or the christmas party clubroom?

all of them. all of the clubrooms.

including

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Linnaeus posted:

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

Zas posted:

all of them. all of the clubrooms.

including

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I wanna do screenshots of the first Nagato and Kyon convo but I can't. The framing is really cool, because it's technically a very standard continuity editing style, but the shots they are swapping between are like 80% excessive backgrounds. They utilize a natural conversational technique to highlight the alienation and distance between the characters. Very cool

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I also wanna do a screenshot of the scene where Kyon is beseeching Shamisen to talk. It looks exactly like a shot from Yellow Earth that was my desktop background for about 2 years.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

In Training posted:

I'm very interested in it, I have seen very little 60s anime and I'm curious what it has to offer

Is it even possible to find without having to spend Ten Million Dollars?

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

In Training posted:

can we make one for haruhi, nichijou and lucky star and another for everything else? I guessss k-on can come too

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

In Training posted:

I wanna do screenshots of the first Nagato and Kyon convo but I can't. The framing is really cool, because it's technically a very standard continuity editing style, but the shots they are swapping between are like 80% excessive backgrounds. They utilize a natural conversational technique to highlight the alienation and distance between the characters. Very cool

oh I know what you're talking about, I might've even gotten those, let me check

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Linnaeus posted:

That whole walk home was stupidly good. The whole time I was just watching and thinking to myself "I should probably be paying attention to this conversation they're having but I can't seem to stop admiring those passing car lights because goddamn"

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

Zas posted:

oh I know what you're talking about, I might've even gotten those, let me check

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

gently caress I took a lot of screens... once I learned the keyboard shortcut to do them hires without my goofy 16x10 letterboxing it was hard to restrain myself

these ones right?

e: I wish there was a compromise between timg and giant table breaking monsters

Mia Wasikowska fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Sep 20, 2015

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Does it count as negative space if it's got Yuki's reflection in it? That doesn't seem like that should count.

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

i can barely see the baseball lol

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Spiritus Nox posted:

Does it count as negative space if it's got Yuki's reflection in it? That doesn't seem like that should count.

it's not so much negative space (on yuki's side anyway) but it is a reversal of the typical blocking and framing of that kind of convo. usually the characters wouldn't be in that 3rd of the frame, they would have 'eye room' or something, I forget what the term is

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

There are so many cool, subtle things in this movie that I didn't even realize were there because I was paying attention to the plot. The next time I watch it will be awesome, I'll just ignore what they're saying and stare at the pretty

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Just seeing this

and this

next to one another through sheer coincidence of posting really does a wonderful job of showing how much difference lighting, color, and texture do for a scene. Same grubby classroom, but the angle, the colors of the characters, their body language... You might not even think they were from the same movie if you didn't know better.

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

vs

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
I'm not sure I get why the first one is so bothersome.

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

Toph Bei Fong posted:

next to one another through sheer coincidence of posting really does a wonderful job of showing how much difference lighting, color, and texture do for a scene. Same grubby classroom, but the angle, the colors of the characters, their body language... You might not even think they were from the same movie if you didn't know better.

yeah it's really cool. one poster noted how the colors immediately brightened when kyon entered the clubroom again

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

lol it's actually not as different as I thought haha

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

StandardVC10 posted:

I'm not sure I get why the first one is so bothersome.

it's because I'm a curmudgeon

although to be fair to me, the cg looks a little more out of place in the flatter world of the TV show

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

this one is really fun to watch loop

also tanabata wishes spotted

just a good composition all around actually. haruhi on the left, xmas dead center, tanabata on the right. all three will be locked in each others gravity through the course of the movie

Mia Wasikowska fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Sep 20, 2015

A Doomed Purloiner
Jan 4, 2006

Did anyone capture a gif of Yuki taking back the application form?

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

A Doomed Purloiner posted:

Did anyone capture a gif of Yuki taking back the application form?

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

The movie made it clear that it was the right choice. But still, goddamn. :smith:

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

i did it, i made all the gifs

here are my favorites

and here's the rest

http://imgur.com/a/LsidC

some of the stuff in the album is by others in the thread, to be clear

Linnaeus fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Sep 20, 2015

A Doomed Purloiner
Jan 4, 2006

Thank you.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

well god drat. hell of a job.

can't really top that and I guess we're wrapping up around here. it's been fun yall.

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

asakura as she could have been. kind of creepy though

Kusaru
Dec 20, 2006

I'm a Bro-ny!
The way Kyon says "say it" while he's stepping on his own head is something that's been in my head forever. I'd completely forgotten where it came from.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

asakura best girl

• Locked thread