Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~
I know that I watched the first season about five years ago, but I have no idea what order I watched it in because the episodes were just labeled numerically and not by episode title. I have not seen any of the second season or movie, and I suppose it's finally time to fix that so I'm in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

How many episodes are we watching each day? I might end up watching the first five or six regardless, but I don't want to spoil anything.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

Back in 2010 I screwed up and apparently watched the first ten or eleven episodes . . . in chronological (season 2 broadcast?) order. Which means I missed this masterpiece of home video entirely, and drat it was good. I still don't know who the cat is or why it talked though.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

I'm sure the dub is fine, but how could you willingly miss out on Hirano Aya-san bossing people around?

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

Nate RFB posted:

Also regarding the ED there is actually a full dance version that covers most or all of the song, though I can't seem to find a good version on youtube.

This is the best version of the ED that I could find on youtube (you can skip to 1:20 if you just want the song, but I recommend watching the intro).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmZxvHMRhK4

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

In Training posted:

Post-simul we should watch all the Haruhi lucky star episodes , and all of Lucky Star.

Agreed, although I think that scene is the only time that she actually busts out the Haruhi voice.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

The Boredom episode had me cracking up, first of all because it's funny and secondly because this is the first time I've seen Melancholy in broadcast order and I couldn't stop thinking about how many tens of thousands of people were blindsided by all of this supernatural poo poo coming out of nowhere on the day this was first aired.

I really regret having watched season one in the wrong order the first time around because chronological order seriously ruins the pacing. Now I'm actally looking forward to finally seeing season two, after having it low down on the to-watch list for five years.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

Haruhi is a poo poo, but a very charismatic poo poo, and her selfish actions are fun to watch.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

Davincie posted:

haruhi is ritsu

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

I just caught up and I'm ready for two more. I'm catching so many details that I missed on the first watch, especially in the first island episode. All of the clues that become relevant to solving the mystery are well done, it's like watching Hyouka.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

The first time I watched the second Island episode, I assumed that the odd moment in the cave was just an artistic way of showing Haruhi coming to the "door finisher" conclusion and promptly losing interest in solving the murder because it would implicate Kyon and Koizumi and Butlerman (as Koizumi later explains). I'm still fairly convinced this is the case, and that Haruhi did not have to change anything for this entire Island scenario to happen the way that it did.

On this rewatch, I realized that I totally forgot about the later scene where Kyon appears to be losing his poo poo and attacking Koizumi, but this can be expained as well. Kyon has figured out that it's all a farce and mock-attacks Koizumi, but immediately after the camera cuts away it's just Kyon telling Koizumi that he knows the actual truth and maybe shaking him around a bit for pranking him (like a friend would). The cut to Kyon's sister running makes it feel like all of this is happening very fast, but of course in reality the whole crew had to meet up and plan out the little sister distraction and the big reveal.

My conclusion is that Koizumi and his associates really did plan this all from the beginning, and that if Haruhi changed anything it was minor, like making that path crumble under her feet so that she could spend some quality time with Kyon. I still don't know what was up with the shadow that Haruhi saw.

a kitten posted:

Candy Pop AMV

Holy hell, that's well-made and catchy too.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

Kytrarewn posted:

Haruhi added the storm.

Oh! Crap, I forgot the obvious one. Yeah I certainly concede that the storm was 100% Haruhi's doing. And I agree with the theory that Koizumi probably predicted her doing just that, leading to the espers setting up this plot, all to keep Haruhi from getting bored.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

GorfZaplen posted:

Nobody made a gif of Haruhi talking with the pen on her lip...I'm sad.

Spiritus Nox posted:

I don't think this a thing real people can actually do. I certainly can't.

I mean, I know it's Haruhi and all. Just sayin'.

I can hold a pen there, but Haruhi can talk while she does it, which is a clear indicator of supernatural power.

If I do it, I just end up looking like Yui.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

I've been waiting for this episode. The first time I saw it my jaw just kept dropping and dropping and then holy poo poo adult Asahina-san! :swoon:

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

And the little alien girl never remade her glasses after that day, even though she totally could have at any time.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

I'll be out with friends tomorrow night so I watched those two episodes early and they were fantastic. You're all in for a treat.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

All I have to drink is straight Kentucky bourbon, but I will have a glass or three while I watch. These two episodes are the last ones of the bunch that I saw years ago, so starting Wednesday it will all be new to me.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

smenj posted:

After watching, I can't really tell what the benefits of watching in chronological order on your first time through would be. This just seems like it would be a hell of a lot more satisfying all round. Fantastic end to the first series.

I can confirm that seeing this show in chronological order on the first watch sucks and is vastly inferior to the way we have been viewing it for the simul. I like this show a lot now, but when I saw it in chron order it was decent for six episodes and then seemed to meander aimlessly until I dropped it around episode eleven.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

I've been having my mind blown for 23 minutes straight, what the hell is this amazing episode.

Also, Kyon hopes that whatever comes next doesn't give him a headache.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

In the second episode, didn't Haruhi ask Kyon if she had met him before, as if she recognized him? The more I think about this episode, the more :psyduck: I become. I need a large glass of whiskey.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

Radio Spiricom posted:

i think you should watch la jetee

I just googled this and sure, cool!

In Training posted:

Also in Melancholy II when Kyon visits Nagato he tries to open the room and she stops him. Or he gazes longingly at the door, or something. 3 years before they even had the idea of animating that episode.

Jesus.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

Spiritus Nox posted:

Also, some people keep bringing up K-On. Is that show actually any good? All I know about it is UGUU and that it's apparently an adaptation of some racy light novel or something.

EDIT: Whoops. Never mind, I was thinking of some show called Kanon apparently.

K-ON is good if you enjoy pure cute slice of life stuff like Azumanga Daioh. It's 99% total fluff and 4-koma jokes and then suddenly you've watched thirty-some episodes and grown strangely attatched to the characters and then oh dammit kyoani why are we all crying now, this should be a happy day for them ahhhh! :cry:

I haven't seen Kanon.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

I will be busy during the Endless Eight simul, and I'm trying to figure out if I should marathon them tonight or wait until Sunday. I'm determined to watch them all in one sitting though, no half-measures when I'm enjoying the show so much.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

I just finished marathoning all of Endless Eight, having never seen any of it before. It was awesome and awesomely frustrating and my mind is now lukewarm pudding. I'll collect my thoughts and post them tomorrow, and then catch up on today's episodes.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

I've had a day and a half to recover from the Endless Eight now. I thought I knew what I was getting into, but by the fourth episode I started to feel a little bit insane.

It was during the fireworks part of episode 6 that I had the epiphany of what would close the loop. My thoughts at the time were,

"It's not going to be Kyon just doing his homework. That's too obvious, and since September 1st doesn't exist, Haruhi doesn't know that he hasn't done it so that's not why she's looping time. It's not something inherently romantic. Kyon probably took Koizumi's 'I love you' advice at least a few times out of fifteen thousand and it didn't work, so that's out. The thing that is making Haruhi dissatisfied with her summer vacation can only be the last day of it, where she gives everyone else the day off and therefore probably spends her August 31st bored out of her mind with nothing to do. Kyon just needs to occupy her last day with anything more interesting than watching paint dry and she'll be satisfied."

I'm glad I was right, but then again coming to this conclusion made episode 7 hellish to watch. At least episode 8 gave me a brief mental break by making me laugh really hard when Mikuru's phone call was just a blubbering, incoherent mess. I liked the resolution, I'm glad I watched the whole thing, and I appreciate the act of trolling your audience harder than they ever would have anticipated, but I'm never watching EE again. I feel so drat bad for Nagato, and I can't believe Kyoani aired this without getting their offices firebombed by enraged otaku.

The first two Sigh episodes were such a relief to watch after that. Looking forward to tonight's, especially with everyone talking up this Koizumi stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

Greatly looking forward to watching the movie . . . On Sunday when I get home. :cry:

Enjoy, everyone!

• Locked thread