Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
In Training
Jun 28, 2008

9/18 - Tonight, Friday, is the Simulwatch finale viewing of The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya at the special late start of 9PM EST!

------------------

9/11 is the Endless Eight marathon at a SPECIAL TIME

9PM EST

We will be watching all 8 parts of the Endless Eight all in one sitting tomorrow evening.

------------------

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya is an anime series based on a light novel series comprised of two seasons (2006, 2009) and a film (2011). It's from Kyoto Animation, and as always the production is gorgeous and Haruhi is one of my all time favorites. It's my go-to show for proving to normies that anime can be better than Dragonball Z. There are also mangas and ONAs and other spinoff stuff that I've never watched because I only care about the show.

Haruhi is an equal parts comedic and dramatic romantic series with an extremely unique integration of sci-fi elements in its structure, plot and editing style. The second season gave people mental breakdowns when it aired due to the now infamous Endless Eight series which is probably the most fascinating pop culture product broadcast in recent decades.

When to Watch

We can settle on whatever works for people but I'm hoping for two episodes a night on the days we watch...maybe M/W/F like the Diebuster simul, those are good days. I'd also like to start next week if possible, next Monday. The show used to be available on Crunchyroll but Funimation recently acquired the U.S. rights so your only legal options are extremely expensive OOP box sets from 8 years ago. Very easy to find on the usual torrent sites though.

In Training posted:

8/17 - Episodes 1 and 2
8/19 - Episodes 3 and 4
8/21 - Episodes 5 and 6
8/24 - Episodes 7 and 8
8/26 - Episodes 9 and 10
8/28 - Episodes 11 and 12
8/31 - Episodes 13 and 14
9/2 - Episode 15, Break
9/11 - Endless Eight Marathon
9/XX - The Sigh of Haruhi Suzumiya
9/XX - The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya

The Order

The most important thing to know about Haruhi is the PROPER VIEWING ORDER, which is called BROADCAST ORDER. If you haven't seen the show before make sure whatever version you acquire is in the proper order. The second season was a rebroadcast of Season 1 with shuffled episode order and new episodes interspersed throughout. You will want to avoid downloads that don't separate out the seasons and simply have episodes 1 through 26 or whatever. The movie is to be watched after the show. The strangeness of this will all make sense after a few episodes.

Namtab posted:

If you've got a set that presents series 1 and 2 in the 2009 broadcast order (i.e. chronological season 1, with season 2 eps put in where they would fit in chronologically) then the correct episode order is:

The movie

If you own the two seasons as seperate box sets then season 1 may be presented in chronological order as opposed to broadcast order. The order then would be

SEASON 1 DVDS

SEASON 2 WOULD BE IN THE CORRECT ORDER

Also, we can talk details more later, but I would like to do something special for The Endless Eight viewing.

I watch Haruhi pretty much annually and it was the first anime TV show I ever watched. I love it soooo much. Haters are welcome to post their grievances too because in the years intervening some people have soured on the show (or were always sour) and I'm curious to hear different thoughts and opinions. Enjoy the show all.

Credit to Linnaeus and Zas for posting a shitload of Haruhi screenshots in the Screenshot thread that I used here, and I expect loads more to arrive because the show looks fantastic.

In Training fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Sep 18, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

NecroMonster posted:

ive never watched this and still probably wont

That's a shame. It's a great show.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Davincie posted:

i watched most of the previous simulwatches before they actually began and then just posted a big spoiler block

This is how our friends overseas have gotten by

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

.jpg posted:

xpost from reddit

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

mabels big day posted:

Normie here. I've always held the OP as someone who has good taste, but when I see stuff about this anime it just looks like another high school girls anime, which never really interested me. People just say "its good" and that its a comedy with some drama in it, but I don't actually know what it's about. Am I missing something, or is it just what it is?

That expectation is exactly why it's interesting, since it very much becomes not that at all in approximately 5 minutes of the first episode. It toys with harem/high school conventions in interesting ways. I'd say give at least the first four episodes a shot if you're curious.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Haruhi is about love and growing up. It's also about editing, and writing a serialized television series.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

.jpg posted:

I'm going to watch the full intro and outro every episode. I might even.... turn up the volume :c00l:

Shame about the S2 ED, since everything else is straight fire.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

littleorv posted:

I'm not even going to spoil myself on the OPs and EDs

The S1 ED is incredible, you're in for a treat

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

this....is true power!

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

.jpg bringin' his A game.

Looking forward to busting out my :siren:LIMITED EDITION FIRST SEASON DVDS:siren: for the simulwatch. I haven't watched it since the second season came out, so I'm excited. Past_Cantaloupe had infamously bad taste, so, as folks have said, it'll be interesting to see if my love for the series survives.

Nice. Would love to see some pics of that bad boy

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I didn't even include my favorite screen grab in the OP :doh:

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Namtab posted:

Boradcast order, fyi

"The Adventures of Mikuru Asahina Episode 00"

"The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Part One"

"The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Part Two"

"The Boredom of Haruhi Suzumiya"

"The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Part Three"

"Remote Island Syndrome (Part One)"

"Mystérique Sign"

"Remote Island Syndrome (Part Two)"

"Someday in the Rain"

"The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Part Four"

"The Day of Sagittarius"

"Live Alive"

"The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Part Five"

"The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Part Six"

Season 2

Then the movie

Wednesday is gonna be epic for the newcomers.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The Devil Tesla posted:

My hosed up opinion: the broadcast order was a clever way to make it feel like the series was building up to something when it was just the first season but isn't really important, especially now that you can end on disappearance.

I disagree, but I'll wait before I elaborate so I can work from a fresh viewing

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

darealkooky posted:

Don't mind if I do.

I feel like Haruhi is a series that survives off gimmicks and nostalgia. Your OP mentioning that it's the first TV anime you ever watched and your go-to "there's more than just DBZ to this anime thing, trust me" series is pretty telling.

Instead of having a show that's actually like, interesting and has stuff happen, they just have the gimmick of the different episode orders so the show appears to have more going on than it actually does, overly animated fight scenes that don't matter but sure look neat and really catchy theme songs so the show can spread memetically (edits of hare hare yukai or whatever comprised about half of nico nico in 2006). Combine this with it also being, as is your case, a lot of peoples first anime series that wasn't about punching things or a guy not having sex with various ladies and it gets put on a real pedestal of nostalgia that I simply don't feel it deserves unless you've only seen five series that didn't air on toonami (or your local equivalent, for the international readers out there).

Maybe the first season just sucks, and the later stuff is actually good because things happen and the characters stop being one dimensional (and even worse, totally unlikable) so there's any reason to give a poo poo on a level beyond the visuals and the voice acting being Pretty Good. But what I saw didn't impress me and gave me no reason to continue (endless eight sounds pretty awesome, I'll give 'em that).

Regardless, for those of you that DO enjoy this anime you have my blessing to continue liking things. God bless and namaste haruhi havers.

I think you misunderstood my DBZ reference. This is the first anime I watched ever, and and I saw it for the first time in 2011.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The Devil Tesla posted:

The chronological order is cannon. They actually listed it at the end of every episode of the first season, and the second season aired in that order.

Yeah, the chronological order is the basis of the books, but the S1 episodes are crafted in a very specific way that I think lose a lot in watching chronological. For the first viewing, at least. It's a good idea to revisit them chronologically if you're interested in a second viewing, and hell, that's exactly what they did for their second season.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I was going to update the OP with the broadcast order post but the mod already did. Thanks.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Actually we're going to watch S1 broadcast, and then watch ALL the S2 broadcast (including S1 episodes).

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Namtab posted:

Wow, really?

No

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

AnacondaHL posted:

My favorite Haruhi memory was buying the show for my sister with episode order instructions etc., and her review was "yea, the show was fine, but I'm kinda disappointed it wasn't all like the first (Mikuru) episode."

Hearty lol.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Wrong, and also, lots of people haven't seen it yet. I personally don't really care about spoilers but I know people do so laying out something like this may give people the wrong preconceived notions. Not a spoiler per se I guess but still man...

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Important to keep in mind, especially considering it's an adaptation of a written work that, due to its structural changes, barely reflects the intent of the original work at all.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

We shan't be speaking of that program.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

CrazySalamander posted:

I actually enjoyed The Disappearance of Yuki Nagato better than Haruhi, because it had less Haruhi, who I always found annoying. I watched Haruhi for the characters that weren't her. She was grating and annoying but the other characters made it worth it.

Dick Spacious, I'm gonna need Huge Yare Yare GIF, on the double.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Disappearance is such an exquisite movie...

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

Interesting points are being made, but I think it would be better if they were made in reference to simulwatched episodes. Series discussion should wait for now, in this poster's opinion, or this is just a thread for a show, rather than a simulwatchathon.

True, but all the posts so far have been about structure, rather than content. Which is all anyone so far knows about. I can't wait for Monday.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Senerio posted:

Yuki is the best character.

I agree. She's the most interesting character, except maybe Kyon.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Haruhi season 3 would be excellent.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Spiritus Nox posted:

Have we chosen a time yet?

Nobody has indicated any preference. I'll say 7 PM CST. It's loose, many people will be watching at other times. But how does that sound.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Monday's the big day all.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Mentat Radnor posted:

How many episodes are we watching each day? I might end up watching the first five or six regardless, but I don't want to spoil anything.

I was planning on two, but I know towards the end I will probably watch the second half of season 1 in like a day or two. But discussion should be limited to two per viewing, if you watch ahead !

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I bet Kyo could do a good anime original ending or something. But Disappearance already basically is a good ending I suppose.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I really like the way he says The FRANchise

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Maxwells Demon posted:

I watched season 1 soon after it came out, was super excited and followed season 2 until 5 or 6 episodes into Endless Eight. gently caress that poo poo.

I will do my best to follow this, but if the fuckery gets too strong from the fans or the series I'm out.

You watched all of Endless Eight except for the conclusion??

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Dick Spacious CPA posted:

VLC... hoooo boy im praying no one from YOSPOS sees this post

.jpg posted:

|'ve got yospos on the line... they're insanely mad at all this vlc

It's a freaking YOSPOS hit squad.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I insanely want this really badly.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The Devil Tesla posted:

Enthralling codec talk in ADTRW

T-Minus 11 hours to liftoff.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

GG subs is awesome.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Spiritus Nox posted:

We're definitely rolling at 7 PM central, right?

Get your big beer ready and GIFcam ready to capture, all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hjB7JobSDo

• Locked thread