Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

i watched most of the previous simulwatches before they actually began and then just posted a big spoiler block

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

this is just a suggestion: but maybe try watching it to see why you are wrong

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

it was.. uhh lets say very cheap

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

got da good rips :cheers:

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

kyon-kun kyon-kun!! denwaaaa

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

she's senjougahara

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

haruhi is ritsu

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

you would think that haruhi is konata, but its tsukasa

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

that's where senjougahara comes in

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

In Training posted:

Raskolnikov: lives in squalor with a group of cockroaches

Haruhi: tight abs, perky breasts, I want to have sex with her

even more similarities with senjou

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

you'd think with the fact that monogatari occupies the niche that haruhi once held there would be crossover art, but there is nothing good out there

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

lots of talk with double meanings, witty mc, magic, a school as background, huge amount of care put into the visuals, biggest ln series, deadly powerful girls, fanservice etc.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Ferretts posted:

Well now that you mention it... :argh:

Speaking of worthwhile background art and details, I'm still struggling with whether I can/should stomach through the creep of post-bake monogataris for the rich visual splendor... and Senjougahara... and Kanbaru.

And more of Horie Yui talking like a cat badass.

they are so gorgeous though

but yeah i would never blame anyone for dropping it. i did so myself several times before picking it back up. fwiw, nisemonogatari is the worst by far

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

ah you guys reached my fav ep

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

the asakura ep

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Spiritus Nox posted:

This show is...really good. It sort of reminds me of Evangelion - not in its tone, this is obviously nowhere near as nihilistic as Eva - but in the sense that it's actively loving with the audience and playing around with the form of what it's trying to do while also indulging in and providing some really masterful execution of exactly the sort of stuff it's trying to do. Only with High School hijinks instead of Giant Robot fights.

And goddamn, the last few episodes have just been so well shot and animated, especially for a show from 2006.

it is one of the 'big' anime together with evangelion after all :)

but yeah, the animation is that kyoan magic. unlimited talent and a huge budget

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

asakura bae

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

madoka is badass

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

the third movie is among the best looking anime films made

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

is there a better quality version

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

you can make gifs easily with gifcam

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Linnaeus posted:

she looks so wrong with long hair

disgusting

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Linnaeus posted:

she looks a bit like yui in that gif

she looks perfect

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

zedd idk if you're reading this, but rebuild 3 did get a theatrical release here. i saw it in the cinema in rotterdam

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

haruhi-chan is so much win

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

the nichijou blu rays actually contain a bunch of specials showing exactly where they got their backgrounds

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

when i looked it said that yamato was the longest until haruhi? even the 70 mm print is 163 min vs 164 for haruhi

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

In Training posted:

Gah!!!! Accidentally heard the dub for 8 seconds

stay safe mate

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

she drinks in the books. censorship is what it is

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

there isn't much that reaches the level of haruhi in regard to both quality + experimentality (and btw i don't think its fair to kyoan to call them a lesser studio when they are so dependent on the material they get) but there's been other shows since then that come near in terms in quality. the third madoka movie, the second snafu season and large stretches of monogatari come very close.

there's also a bunch of shows that make a good attempt, and are great but aren't quite up there like gatchaman and shirobako.

overall though, you're better of with movies like the fantastic millenium actress

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

i think its fantastic, not everyone would agree probably though. it is, at its core still a romcom after all

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

im probably creating false expectations here, so uh don't get too hyped up about anything

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Darley-Wilkinson posted:

i hate to say this but the more i watch kon the more i have to admit none of his movies really do anything for me except tokyo godfathers which is super charming. like millennium actress is really disappointing to me. i always feel like he starts out with interesting structural ideas and then explores them in the least compelling way possible

e: specifically said 'movies' because paranoia agent is his best work by a mile

paranoia agent does have a few weaker episodes in my opinion, but its great of course. the OP also really stays with you.

however, i think visually speaking its hurt a bit by being a series, as the lack of a budget in comparison with his movies is apparent

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

asakura best girl

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

make every post require a pretty picture or gif

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

XboxPants posted:

How does one watch that series? Just watch it all in original production/release order? Utena, Eva, Haruhi are favorites of mine for those reasons so if there's something else along those lines I wanna check it out. I could certainly think of a few other series that tried to experiment a bit but I'd hesitate to say they're truly pushing boundaries in the same way. Like, ef had lots of cool visuals, the best episode was mostly just a blank white screen with occasional text, but in the end it was pretty straight anime melodrama... Samurai Flamenco did a lot of insane cool things, but it was didn't quite come together to form a coherent whole the same way those other shows you mention did. At least in my opinion.

what's ef?

and god did i hate samurai flamenco, everything after that episode 8 twist rubbed me the wrong way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

shinbo works will never become quite the phenomenon that haruhi or evangelion are in the western anime fanbase, but you shouldn't underestimate their popularity. no matter how you rank it, the monogatari series is somewhere between the best selling and 4th best selling tv anime ever made. all the seasons put together reached a million copies sold in 2013

but yeah shinbo is a weird fucker, i looked up his oeuvre once and someone mentioned he wrote and directed a hentai about a girl who eats poop. also trash like dance in the vampire bund

• Locked thread