Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

i remember being 15 and watching it while it aired and not getting it but i rewatched it + disappearance in ~3 days in may and its the best. its just the best. i will jump in for the next viewing.

also i have a theory that endless eight is the closest a piece of pop culture has come to approximating a douglas gordon installation (or something of similar highbrow renown like slow cinema or what have you) but i can talk about that when we get to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

the best episode of endless eight is the one where mikuru's phone call is just her blubbering with no real words

it owns so much

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

Agronox posted:

They could've gotten the point across in half the episodes without really losing anything.

This notion is ridiculous--art that works with repetition works specifically with time and duration and perceptions shift and meanings are gained and created (or lost and destroyed) for the longer that things go on. E.g. 2:33 in a loop based ambient song may not mean the same thing to you as 5:33 might mean even if the sounds are identical. Andy Warhol's Marilyn Prints lose and gain etc. the meaning they bear in the image the longer you look at them. The seven minute long take in Tsai Ming-Liang's Vive L'amour of a woman crying is so heartbreaking because it goes on for seven minutes. Or whatever example works for you.

Radio Spiricom fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Aug 24, 2015

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

Its good. Hes good. I'll talk more about him when we get to watching Endless Eight probably.

Anyway I think the point for now is that Endless Eight is good because it is justified by Disappearance but its also good in its own right.

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

just to be clear it's mysterique sign and remote island syndrome 2 right

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

extorting a computer is definitely insanely cool

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

I forgot how good the cut from the alternate space to the apartment is

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

Parallax posted:

More nice lighting

Loneliness is my favorite theme in the show for sure

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

In Training posted:

Remote Island Syndrome Part 2 though is straight killer no filler.

The use of rain is a very good Tsai allusion. Imo

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

The use of space in the compositions in this episode and really the whole show is really good

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

That music ftw

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

Kyon's mole is good

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

Parallax posted:

Haruhi in the belly shirt is powerful

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

Someday In The Rain is the best non-Endless Eight episode of the series precisely because nothing happens

It very thoroughly communicates what the show is 'about' i.e. that it is 'about' trying to keep oneself occupied with endless anime antics in the mounting face of adolescent adriftness, loss of grand narrative, and post-modern anomie. The framing in that episode is absolutely sublime

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

I watched them just now. I really want to hear about the reasoning of watching in this order.

And by the way I'm watching this the second time now and am enjoying it way more than the first time.

The copout answer is that KyoAni adapted something that doesn't have a particularly strong metanarrative thrust to it so they had to give it one. If you watch season 1 in chronological order the climax/final broadcast episode comes sixth chronologically and the rest of the pieces are relatively none too interesting SoL episodes. There's a lot more to it though specifically having to do with metanarrative..

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

The sound design is one of this episodes many strengths

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

Spiritus Nox posted:

...Yuki looks lonely. :smith:

Everyone in the SOS Brigade is

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

This long take is perhaps the best moment in the series I live for this. Probably the most direct reference to Tsai Ming-Liang in the whole show

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

Spiritus Nox posted:

God Kyon is a champ. I mean, he's freaking out a little, but I would be incoherent by this point and he's still mostly cool.

Also, is Asakura another robot?

Yes and not to spoil anything but remember this episode when we watch Disappearance. It's important

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

Thank you..

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

Zas posted:

yeah and I think I remember that all told eva and its merchandise has made like billions (measured in usd not yen). totally nuts. Bring on the Eva simulwatch

They brand anything they can with Eva.. razors, tents, humidifiers.. Hakone's tourism industry was dedicated to it for a period of time if it isn't still. Its really cool and I want all of it

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

The drink of the evening is the Cuba Libre. I require that if you have the wherewithal, you make and drink one or more while watching Haruhi.

3 parts cola + 1 part rum over ice, squeeze a lime wedge into it and drop it in.

I'm drinking a big beer. Cheers

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

Ten laps while screaming "green martians are chasing me"

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

I brought this up in the Asian film thread but Live Alive is just as influenced as K-On is by Linda Linda Linda. In fact there's an a/b comparison video of the two performances. KyoAni really loves that movie

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

Spiritus Nox posted:

These lyrics don't seem very Haruhi. I mean, I get where they came from, but she hasn't come off as this sappy or flowery.

It's not her song :ssh:

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

Spiritus Nox posted:

...Hm. I hope Haruhi didn't cause those unfortunate events to befall the rest of the band!

Like everything in the show it's intentionally left ambiguous and I think it depends on how you view Haruhi as a character. If you think that Haruhi is selfish then the final scene of the episode reveals that maybe she did it only to get praised because she's never done anything that's warranted praise before. I'm inclined to think it's pure coincidence though.

Some interesting parallels between it and Eva 24 imo

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

dailydares posted:

I brought this up in the Asian film thread but Live Alive is just as influenced as K-On is by Linda Linda Linda. In fact there's an a/b comparison video of the two performances. KyoAni really loves that movie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-eobu9dkYyk

everyone please watch linda linda linda

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

im really glad hard gay managed to make it into an episode of haruhi

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

Toph Bei Fong posted:

Going off of hearsay, Twitter, and internet postings:

-She has a benign pituitary gland tumor that was apparently messing with her pretty bad. She didn't want to have surgery to remove it, because it could permanently gently caress up her voice, so she opted to stop VAing for a while. She announces the tumor in November 2010, is forbidden by her doctor from taking on any new roles in April 2011.

-Big to do over the sex thing, as well as other "unlady like" behavior. There was a photo shoot where she "accidentally" wore the halves of a bikini wrong (top on bottom, vice versa), and people roared. She wore what people took to be an engagement ring for a while, and people screamed. A whole bunch of things. You aren't supposed to gently caress with your fans/the media like that, she did went out of her way to mess with their heads. This is throughout 2008-2010, when she's really in the media's eye.

-She gets fired from Lantis, her music agency, in May 2011. She doesn't say it, but the idea is that it's because of the tumor and she's wanting to go in a new direction, isn't working as a singer right now, etc etc. The sex thing comes out publicly as the actual reason in a gossip magazine in August 2011, and otaku burn with rage, even more so than they did when she was just messing with their heads.

-Wanting a voice acting agency that's better suited to her wants and needs, she leaves Space Craft in August 2011, and is almost immediately picked up by Grick (about 2 weeks later). She resumes voice acting like it's no thing.

Celebrity gossip is that she really wants to break into TV, where the real money and fame are, but that market is competitive as hell. She also put out a few singles in 2013.

One theory is that the tumor is a complete lie, cooked up to give her a convenient way out of the spotlight until the heat died down, but there's literally no way to confirm that, and anyways, since the Japanese gossip rags found out anyways, it didn't work.

lol @ all of this

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

The baseball sequence is a really good recap of the shows themes. The train metaphor at the end is cool too

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

Busted

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

It's really fantastic how they parallel this in the movie

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

Spiritus Nox posted:

...There are some definite THEMES being thrown about here, and I'm trying to parse them on the fly, and I can't quite do it yet.

I recommend reading the novels Mao II and Underworld, by Don DeLillo, and also the essay "The White Album," by Joan Didion. Cheers

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

Its fascinating how large a role baseball plays in the show.. it's in at least 11/28 episodes. The crowd metaphor is pretty obvious (and cribbed from the DeLillo novels I mentioned) but I think there's a deeper metaphorical significance to it that I haven't really tapped into

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

Agronox posted:

So... Favorite episodes or scenes from the first season?

top 5 would be

1. someday in the rain
2. adventures of mikuru asahina
3. live alive
4. melancholy 4
5. boredom

but every episode is good.

Spiritus Nox posted:

Someday in the Rain was really nice and chill. I don't know if I'd call it a favorite, but it was nice in a different way from a lot of the other episodes.

i guess the ending is nice but someday in the rain works for me because it isn't chill at all? or at least uses its atmosphere subversively? imo. it is really oppressive and the way that the characters are framed in empty spaces or against the urban landscape gives it this pervasive sense of loneliness (which is like i've said what i think the show is all about) that's only really matched by endless eight and the first act of the movie. the way they make all the characters look tiny gets back to the thematic points made in melancholy 5 too about how insignificant a person can feel when confronted with a crowd

anyway i've suggested that the series makes allusions to the work of taiwanese director tsai ming-liang before in here (whose movies are basically 'about' the same things i think the series is about) but i think this quote is pretty self-evident about how i think they're connected

quote:

I want to express the failure of erotic desire to be realized in contemporary urban space. I would like to make my films about disappearing, like The Skywalk is Gone [2002] and Goodbye Dragon Inn. The whole theatre is disappearing in that film! This subject is important to me because society changes so fast and everything disappears so fast - historical sites, culture. One day I walked to the area where Lee Kang-Sheng was selling watches [in What Time is it There?], and I realized that ‘the skywalk is gone.’ It happens in Asia like that, things just disappear. People in their forties have no way of finding traces of their childhood. Modern people are afraid of disappearance. Living in Taipei, for example, we constantly have to deal with compelling visual change. We ask the question: what do you love the most? Who do you love the most? You will lose them - it will happen in modern society. My films ask the question: how we can face the disappearance? The loss?

endless eight and the movie make this more explicit. also he's also known for his use of long takes and rain as a metaphor which are both prominently featured in the series.

Radio Spiricom fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Sep 2, 2015

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

you should. his movies are good. i'd start with what time is it there? and goodbye dragon inn. wayward cloud, vive l'amour and rebels of the neon god are also excellent entry points. his latest movie stray dogs is available to stream on netflix but its also his most obtuse so far, i would not recommend starting there. one of his short movies walker is on vimeo https://vimeo.com/49339358

his movies belong to a movement that academics and people on the internet have tried to codify called slow cinema. they're movies that utilize atypically long takes, minimal dialogue, nonprofessional actors, expressive sound design, and usually concern themes of isolation or alienation in urban or rural landscapes. they move at a snails pace with subtlety and repetition and usually come to a cathartic end. the watered down pop version of this aesthetic would be something like lost in translation.

i think endless eight works within a similar temporal framework but in a different way because there is more action, but the same concepts (chantal akerman's jeanne dielman, 23 quai du commerce, 1080 bruxelles may be a better point of comparison from that perspective then) which is why the best way to watch it is in a marathon.

i do think that something is there but i'm probably just looking for confirmation bias at this point. i also think the series is influenced by the writing of don delillo, thomas pynchon, and joan didion, the installations and video art of douglas gordon, and the movies of michelangelo antonioni, andrei tarkovsky, and chris marker. i am likely just insane. but thank you for considering entertaining me.

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

i probably won't be able to simulwatch tonight because i'm already committed to seeing the big lebowski with my friends. gently caress balls

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

idk. they are decals i think. you can probably get them custom made at any print shop worth its salt. that was on craigslist and the guy was selling it for like $3k cuz the engine block was hosed and it wouldn't start lol

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

bamboo leaf rhapsody is a really good episode. i'm more interested in revisiting sigh tho because my initial impression of them was that they were pretty weak. but anything after endless eight that wasn't disappearance would necessarily be weak imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

Davincie posted:

the third movie is among the best looking anime films made

rebellion is one of the best anime movies of the 21st century so far along with disappearance, rebuild 3, mind game, and innocence

• Locked thread