Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
.jpg bringin' his A game.

Looking forward to busting out my :siren:LIMITED EDITION FIRST SEASON DVDS:siren: for the simulwatch. I haven't watched it since the second season came out, so I'm excited. Past_Cantaloupe had infamously bad taste, so, as folks have said, it'll be interesting to see if my love for the series survives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Interesting points are being made, but I think it would be better if they were made in reference to simulwatched episodes. Series discussion should wait for now, in this poster's opinion, or this is just a thread for a show, rather than a simulwatchathon.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

I am ready.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
In college, I spent money I really couldn't afford.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
I'll take one Haruhi, please.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Parallax posted:

Haruhi in pigtails...

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Mentat Radnor posted:

I'm sure the dub is fine, but how could you willingly miss out on Hirano Aya-san bossing people around?

I want an alcoholic alien panda to boss me around...

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
I'd forgotten how much I enjoy this show, or at least underestimated how much. I want to keep watching now, but I will wait.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Also need Yuki bopping the cat with her wand.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
I find a good chunk of the incidental music in Haruhi to be pretty unremarkable. The dramatic stuff is solid, but the lighter stuff does its job of setting the tone and nothing more.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Gettin' excited.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
GETTIN' EXCITED

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

.jpg posted:

*turns up volume*

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Kyon is randy.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Haha, Haruhi's angry stomping at the teachers.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
CHANSU da wa!

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Kyon's sister is super cute.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Nope, no ponytail for Mikuru.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Hahaha, I'd forgotten that he sold the bat. Poor pirates indeed.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
This show's just a joy to watch.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Agronox posted:

Did you guys pick up on Haruhi's crush on your first time through? I think the clues are there at this point in the series but it was a nice little surprise seeing all of them, and it's obvious, once you go through in chron order.

I assumed it, but didn't really pick up on it. It really is super obvious on the rewatch.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

StandardVC10 posted:

Her best scene is still to come IMO.

yeah, all eight of them

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

ChubbyThePhat posted:

Endless Eight happening in real time was a thing to behold.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
I have the first one lying around somewhere. I haven't read it since it came out over here, but I recall enjoying it, though not as much as the anime. The writing's not great, but it's above my cutoff, or was, at least. I remember thinking that Kyon's randiness came across more clearly in the LN, but this rewatch is disabusing of that.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
It was me! It works just fine during the show, but it doesn't stand out from the pack of anime soundtracks. I listen to the OSTs of Gatchaman CROWDS, Madoka, Utena, Terror in Resonance, &c. semi-regularly, but I felt no need to listen to Haruhi's more than the once, and so they sit in the box. It's not a bad soundtrack, but it's middling, and that makes it stand out in an otherwise great show.

Please note that I do not include most of the vocal tracks in this argument, as the OP/ED and God Knows are great.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
She's fun but definitely a poo poo.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Mentat Radnor posted:

Haruhi is a poo poo, but a very charismatic poo poo, and her wantonly selfish actions are fun to watch.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

Gettin' excited.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
I just realized that I'll have to switch discs tonight. Everything's ready for minimal delay.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

.jpg posted:

*turns up volume*

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
:words:

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Thighhighs Haruhi...

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Someone keep a classified information count.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Nazo nazo

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Huh, apparently Dowman Sayman wrote a Haruhi doujin. Surprisingly enough for him, it's totally work safe, and it's spoiler-free for folks who've watched as far as we have. I think it works very well for us having just watched the first half of Remote Island Syndrome.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Linnaeus posted:

Lmfao

When you are on the first page don't click the left side of the screen

oh my. This is good advice, unless one is after these tags:

Big breasts Boob sex Haruhi x Mikuru Lots of sex NSFW Yuri

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

In Training posted:

I've also never really ascribed to the idea that Kyon is actually the one with power in the series.

I never did either, but this rewatch is challenging that for me. A detail that stuck out to me this time in Mysterique Sign is that the symbol does nothing until Kyon resizes it. In general, it seems like he has a more direct role in things than the observer role he likes to pretend to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Spiritus Nox posted:

Speaking of... has the show said whether or not Haruhi is at all aware of her powers?

And can you fuckers stop posting spoiler tags that tempt me to mouse over them? I flicked over one for like half second and got spoiled on what I assume is either a big reveal or implication later on the series. :argh:

Sorry. :( It's hard to discuss a rewatch without drawing on knowledge from previous watches. I'll try to ward potential unintentional future mouseovers with... I don't know, :drac:scary vampires?:drac:

• Locked thread