Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.
IMO E8 really loses a lot in a bingewatch. Watching that poo poo live, having to wait a week for each new episode, hoping, not knowing what will happen, then seeing the result... that was transcendent. Like really, my recall is pretty hosed up in general and on top of that I occasionally have seizures and lose chunks of memory, so I don't put that much trust in my ability to properly remember the actual events of the past - so watching that second episode was a really big "wait what the gently caress is happening" moment for me. So great.

Also, Groundhog Day is one of my favorite movies and this helped me slip into that mindset and empathize with that situation probably better than any other piece of media could. It was like performance art or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Radio Spiricom posted:

this is also sort of what i meant when i was talking about endless eight implicating the viewer because when you watch it with gaps in between you basically begin to feel identical to the characters

it can be watched in both ways but i think marathoning it gives a better understanding of what they were attempting to do w/r/t directing because you really begin to pick up on all the subtleties and understand how changing the elements of production design while retaining the same essential form and narrative order can radically alter how something feels

Huh, that is a good point. I guess I will have to rewatch it some day.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Radio Spiricom posted:

i dunno, i think it depends on what you enjoyed the show for. it has a lot going on so answers will vary wildly. although you'll see some consistency because as it's been mentioned what makes haruhi special is how experimental the show is while still maintaining a high level of popularity. evangelion, utena, and haruhi are probably the high watermarks in this regard.

fanservice is part of monogatari and part of why it's popular. but i think it's interesting that it's as popular as it is considering how unconventional the show is in terms of narrative and visuals. it's mostly people talking through their issues while walking around desolate art deco landscapes. it uses a lot of different animation and editing styles and techniques, cutting to interstitial blank frames, lots of on screen text, characters acknowledging the artifice of the show, things like that. i say give it a shot, at least bakemonogatari - you should be able to tell pretty quickly whether you'll enjoy it or not

How does one watch that series? Just watch it all in original production/release order? Utena, Eva, Haruhi are favorites of mine for those reasons so if there's something else along those lines I wanna check it out. I could certainly think of a few other series that tried to experiment a bit but I'd hesitate to say they're truly pushing boundaries in the same way. Like, ef had lots of cool visuals, the best episode was mostly just a blank white screen with occasional text, but in the end it was pretty straight anime melodrama... Samurai Flamenco did a lot of insane cool things, but it was didn't quite come together to form a coherent whole the same way those other shows you mention did. At least in my opinion.

• Locked thread