Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dezinus
Jun 4, 2006

How unsightly.
Haven't watched this in many years, but I still have the dvds somewhere. I hope it's still good!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dezinus
Jun 4, 2006

How unsightly.
So far, enjoying going back to this. But I forgot how Kanon-level derpy the characters can look sometimes. What a different time.

The film made me kinda wish there were more lovely student films that they made. But I guess that well would dry up pretty quick.

That string piece that played in Mikuru's introduction really took me back.

ED is still top-tier among anime EDs.

Dezinus
Jun 4, 2006

How unsightly.

TheKingofSprings posted:

what about the OP

There were some good parts, but not great

Dezinus
Jun 4, 2006

How unsightly.
Melancholy's cool and all, but the other random stories are best. (#1 being Someday in the Rain, obv.)

Love how deliberately they gently caress with the viewer in this episode. Koizumi just shows up like it ain't no thang.

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

Nope, no ponytail for Mikuru.
One of the greatest treats of 2nd viewing.

Dezinus
Jun 4, 2006

How unsightly.
The Delivery Pizza Order of Haruhi Suzumiya

Dezinus
Jun 4, 2006

How unsightly.
I recall the old consensus being that Koizumi just didn't give a gently caress about what Kyon was babbling about and stared at his mole instead.

Dezinus
Jun 4, 2006

How unsightly.

In Training posted:

Someday in the Rain

My favorite scene in the whole show. That whole episode is just so quiet and weird. And ends with Haruhi crushin' hard on Kyon. The next two eps are a killer pair, though.

Dezinus
Jun 4, 2006

How unsightly.
Wow I just don't remember that ED song or animation at all. I dunno if that means it's really dull, or the S1 OP/ED are just really memorable.

I remember thinking endless eight was really funny/absurd while it was airing, so I hope it's still good together in a whole block.

Dezinus
Jun 4, 2006

How unsightly.
For real though, biking through a hilly town with ~300 pounds would be tough.

Dezinus
Jun 4, 2006

How unsightly.
Koizumi is loving fabulous this episode.

Dezinus
Jun 4, 2006

How unsightly.
Kyon do your homework

Dezinus
Jun 4, 2006

How unsightly.
Haruhi didn't say Over! this time, I think it's really gonna end this time, guys.

Dezinus
Jun 4, 2006

How unsightly.
Everyone sitting in different spots every time is maybe my favorite detail of this.

Dezinus
Jun 4, 2006

How unsightly.
Obviously Kyon has to win the bike race.

Dezinus
Jun 4, 2006

How unsightly.
That plane tho

Dezinus
Jun 4, 2006

How unsightly.
Timely Gundam 00 reference

Dezinus
Jun 4, 2006

How unsightly.
Go to mars, break the loop

Dezinus
Jun 4, 2006

How unsightly.

Why must you tear the thread apart right in the middle of its finest hour?

Dezinus
Jun 4, 2006

How unsightly.
That mini time loop was extremely my poo poo

Dezinus
Jun 4, 2006

How unsightly.

Radio Spiricom posted:

gif of mikuru getting hit in the face asap!!!

Dezinus
Jun 4, 2006

How unsightly.

darealkooky posted:

so how does kyon pay for all these group lunches when he has no apparant job or parents

Shamisen brings home the bread in that house.

Dezinus
Jun 4, 2006

How unsightly.
Deja vu in real time, heck yeah

Dezinus
Jun 4, 2006

How unsightly.
Bahaha, Mikuru is just a blob this time.

Dezinus
Jun 4, 2006

How unsightly.
Mikuru is the worst time traveler

Dezinus
Jun 4, 2006

How unsightly.
Haha, I totally forgot that was the solution. I feel like a dick for mentioning it before.

Dezinus
Jun 4, 2006

How unsightly.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_8LIQwZKQQ
The only fan video I saved from the old days, enjoy.

Dezinus
Jun 4, 2006

How unsightly.
Caught up on Sigh. Those episodes connect together really tightly, It was a lot better to watch them without a week in-between. The scene direction particularly stood out to me here. Maybe I wasn't looking for it before, or the outside locations made it a lot more interesting. The end felt a bit crammed in and unnecessary, when it could be summed up with "We don't trust each other and maybe you shouldn't trust us. Also we're all trying to use you (Kyon) for our own gain." On the whole, Sigh was a lot more enjoyable than I remembered. Totally stoked for Disappearance. I haven't seen it in years, but it has one of my favorite scenes in all of anime which I'm sure I will gush over on Friday.

Gonna watch Live a Live and Someday in the Rain again tonight. :kimchi:

Dezinus
Jun 4, 2006

How unsightly.
God that was so good. Haruhi in 1080p. Not much to say past what's already been said. As promised I'm gonna gush about the whole sequence where Kyon tracks down Haruhi (and Koizumi). It's just such an incredible moment. We spend like an hour going through chill normal stuff with low-key music and fairly static scenes. Kyon's been broken and has all but accepted that this is his new reality. Then Taniguchi mentions Haruhi and Kyon himself almost didn't believe what he just heard. The music swells up for the first time in the whole film, and Kyon finally gets a grasp on that small bit of hope that he can maybe go back. That scene has always suck with me, it's like a lightning strike.

In general I am in love with the music direction. Super chill music most of the time, and it's not afraid to use silence for dramatic effect. It's something I wish more shows were good at instead of assigning theme_of_love.mp3 to every single dramatic scene. (I remember Kimi ni Todoke being good at this too).

In the end, this is one of the all time great anime films. I think it's only flaw is basically requiring previous knowledge from the show or books to really get the most out of it.

Also, gif lords please gif that awkward waitress cleaning the table around 1:22:00. I'll probably do it tomorrow because it was good. Lots of great background characters doing stuff throughout, actually.

Dezinus
Jun 4, 2006

How unsightly.
Waitress: u da real mvp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dezinus
Jun 4, 2006

How unsightly.

Davincie posted:

asakura best girl

That clap with the oven mitts on was pretty good, I admit.

• Locked thread