Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I'm not sure if I can make a tier list! I can't choose between: legit great (2), so awful it's kind of mesmerizing (1), trying to be funny and succeeding (6), trying to be funny and failing (3), competently playing to type (5), and incompetently playing to type (4). Every week I don't know what I'm going to get and I don't know which I want more. Each is special in their own way and I don't want my pillow boys 2 fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I do know that I would rank 4 higher than all of yall because short, stupid, and delinquent with a heart of gold are my three favorite things and it was cute that you were falling asleep on the bus.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

The Devil Tesla posted:

I do know that I would rank 4 higher than all of yall because short, stupid, and delinquent with a heart of gold are my three favorite things and it was cute that you were falling asleep on the bus.

Sorry, 4 was my number two, but he's been bumped down to third by chuuni boy. That was such a charming episode that I didn't expect to enjoy that much.

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting
I've been behind on the last couple of episodes, so I can't fully rank them yet. HOWEVER, #4 is definitely my favorite so far. Both his voice and personality are very relaxing, and I would definitely feel comfortable sleeping on a bus if he were next to me! Wouldn't have to worry about missing the stop.

also he doesn't want to copy your homework because he doesn't want you to get in trouble, that's the cutest thing ever :3: Nice, caring delinquent is better than boss-co-worker imo, although only by a little bit.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Potsticker posted:

Sorry, 4 was my number two, but he's been bumped down to third by chuuni boy. That was such a charming episode that I didn't expect to enjoy that much.

He was real good, an good choice.

But yea I understand the people who put him just above 1 at the bottom of the list. He could have been a clear winner if the VA was better or he talked about anything with a spark in it, but he really only skates by on design and type strength. He kind of deserves second to last place, which when you think about it is a bigger dishonor than last place because at least people remember the worst.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Nondevor posted:

also he doesn't want to copy your homework because he doesn't want you to get in trouble, that's the cutest thing ever :3: Nice, caring delinquent is better than boss-co-worker imo, although only by a little bit.

He should care more about his grades, even if he has to cheat! I would take that risk with him, but instead he chickened out...

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting

The Devil Tesla posted:

He should care more about his grades, even if he has to cheat! I would take that risk with him, but instead he chickened out...

That's true. We were already willing to hang out with him no matter what, so dealing with a teacher wouldn't be that much more of a problem.

If only he had more faith...!

I'd argue 3 was worse than 4 though. The lack of music was a travesty, and the panic at the end was definitely not soothing or relaxing at all.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Nondevor posted:

That's true. We were already willing to hang out with him no matter what, so dealing with a teacher wouldn't be that much more of a problem.

If only he had more faith...!

Yeah, I kind of want to tell him that he should have more confidence and like offer to help him study or something.

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting
My pillow boys ranking:

It's actually kinda hard to clearly rank the ones I really liked (2, 4, 6). 6 was really funny, 4 is great because I like that archetype a lot :blush:, and 2 was just good in general. I guess for me it'd be 4 > 2 = 6 > 5 > 1 > 3. Astronomy guy was cute but average, and I didn't like neither 1 nor 3. 3 was instantly the worst because of the lack of music, though.

Adelheid
Mar 29, 2010

Adelheid posted:

You're not wrong in saying astronomy boy is very high-tier, although I am not quite willing to say he's top. He might be. Get back to me in a few days when I've fallen asleep to him and coworker boy a few more times each and I'll be able to give a comparative review.

Two nights ago, I feel asleep with astronomy boy. In contrast with how utterly poorly i slept with chuuni boy, astronomy boy allowed me a comfortable sleep for a pleasant 7 and a half hours. I wasn't sure how coworker boy was going to beat that, but when I fell asleep to him last night, I had some of the most refreshing sleep I've had in ages. It also lasted for 7 and a half hours, but also included waking up feeling great and vaguely recalling having really good dreams.

So, I have to say that coworker boy is better than astronomy boy. 2 > 5. They're both better than all the others, though, especially 6 which was the worst thus far.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I love that you're using the show as intended.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Products like this show are kind of depressing in a way. Like, the fact that they exist in the first place is sort of depressing because it means there are a bunch of really lonely people out there who are so desperate for human companionship that they'll resort to things like this.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Ytlaya posted:

Products like this show are kind of depressing in a way. Like, the fact that they exist in the first place is sort of depressing because it means there are a bunch of really lonely people out there who are so desperate for human companionship that they'll resort to things like this.

Hey everybody handles loneliness differently, and it's not anyone's place to judge how they do. Social interaction is, it turns out, very hard for a lot of people, and even more so when you compound that with things like work schedules.

Not saying that's the case for anyone in this thread, but I ain't gonna look down on someone whose only escape from a lonely life is something like this show.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Aug 23, 2015

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Really I see everyone in this thread enjoying the show and discussing the episodes and no one here strikes me as particularly lonely. It's a fun piece of entertainment that's really kind of different.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Potsticker posted:

Really I see everyone in this thread enjoying the show and discussing the episodes and no one here strikes me as particularly lonely. It's a fun piece of entertainment that's really kind of different.

Yeah, my appreciation for this show and my unbearable loneliness have nothing to do with each other.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

That's just being a goon.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

anime catering to women and non-straight men feels rare enough that this show is nice, regardless of intended purpose/cynical marketing.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
I will now catch up on the Pillow Boys I have neglected to watch, will come back with thoughts.

edit; Astronomy Boy is a dork, but earnest and sincere, points in my book.

I liked Chuuni Boy a lot more than I thought, would fall asleep too. That and he has fab nails.

4>2>6>5>3>1 are my rankings so far.

Compendium fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Aug 23, 2015

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

So episode seven is the five year old boy episode.

Feel free to skip it.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

the yikes smilie

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I choose to pretend there was nothing weird about that episode, despite the context. They just decided to be a completely different show for a week.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

the babysitting episode

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
The idea of having a five year old watch me as I sleep is the most nightmarish thing I can imagine. At this time anyway.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I can think of several worse things.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
That was not relaxing

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Not at all D:

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!
yeah

no

i'll stick with astronomy boy

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting
to make up for how unrelaxing this episode was, I'm going to go hang out with delinquent/co-worker/astronomy boy some more.

After thinking about it, astronomy boy's episode is really well done! I'm sorry for calling you average. Changing my ranking to 4 > 2 = 5 > 6.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Just watched the episode, bleh. Hopefully next week will bring us a better pillow boy, the kid will not be part of the rankings.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Wow, this week's guy is a loser.

Edit: seriously, what is the appeal of 'slacker arsehole who looks at his phone while talking to you, then calls you weird'?

Fangz fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Aug 31, 2015

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
The indifference makes the heart flutter. Or something.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Did I just get negged by a anime boy?

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

boom boom boom posted:

Did I just get negged by a anime boy?

Yes

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
That said straight up insulting you is way different from being indifferent. The guy is skipping his mixer for you! I mean, meta wise the whole thing is an insult to the women watching these but the guy himself is decent.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

The Devil Tesla posted:

That said straight up insulting you is way different from being indifferent. The guy is skipping his mixer for you! I mean, meta wise the whole thing is an insult to the women watching these but the guy himself is decent.

Isn't the whole point of the mixer to hook up?

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
A dude that age staring at his phone while he talks to you, seems pretty normal lol. This one had the most natural-feeling one-sided conversation yet.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
What is it with these dudes and hair clips??

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Craptacular! posted:

What is it with these dudes and hair clips??

They're cute.

Disclaimer: I haven't watched the new ep to see this guy.

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013
Taking bets on shopkeep being the last one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

I just hope that librarian boy will be the second coming of work-senpai.

EDIT: So, uh, that was supposed to be ria-jū boy? As in the normal one?

https://www.quora.com/What-are-the-...%85-and-oshanty

Whuh?

Fangz fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Sep 1, 2015

• Locked thread