Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Positive Optimyst
Oct 25, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I did a search looking for an American Civil War thread. I've been watching many documentaries, so I hope to add what I know (which is not a lot) on the subject.

I'm looking for any and all information about the US Civil War from the direct and indirect causes, strategies, the ending, to the Reconstruction period.

Thanks in advance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Positive Optimyst
Oct 25, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Tekopo posted:

One good place to see what caused the ACW is the period immediately before it. The Missouri Compromise, Dred Scott, the fighting in Kansas, John Brown, the Mexican-American War and the Oregon Treaty are some of the most notable pre-ACW events that helped to shape the climate that lead to the war.

From my readings and youtube documentaries, the more one reads into the cause of the CW the more complicated it gets.

Yes, slavery was the main cause - but it was whether to expand slavery into the Western territories or have these areas as Free States/territories.

Yes, the Missouri Compromise and intense fighting in Kansas that was excessively violent (e.g., the Bushwhakers).

South Carolina publicly talked of secession because of the Tariff Act of 1828. Southern states were hurt by Northern tariffs. Congress also passed some Acts strengthening the Federal government when there were disagreement with states.

Vice President Calhoun resigned his position at VP the return to South Carolina to deal with the issue.

And interesting and complicated history.

• Locked thread