Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.

Onmi posted:

No that's about right. I liked Krillin, Vegeta etc. more in Dragon Ball Z because they got a lot more development. But DB is much better on the whole.

Wasn't Vegeta strictly DBZ? I would agree DB was a much more fun series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

mauman posted:

Wasn't Vegeta strictly DBZ? I would agree DB was a much more fun series.

Yes but I mean more to the point that he had an arc. in Dragonball only Tien (who comes near the end) and Goku really have arcs. Krillin and Yamcha etc. wrap theirs up very quickly. Character-wise Dragonball is weaker than Z. In Z not only do we have Vegeta's arc, but Gohans and Krillins as well, Piccolo even has a big chunk to grow through. On the whole Character-wise, Z is stronger than Dragonball.

However as a constructed series, Dragonball is stronger than Z, your hero is Goku, the plot focus on his adventures, he fights the villains and wins and it's his story. In Z the story is Gohans or Piccolos or Vegetas or Krillins. Goku is in the position of the mentor roll, but he solves all the problems. So there's a disconnect where it's not his adventure, but he's still the hero.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Well, that and the fights aren't quite as stupidly drawn out.

I get what you mean though.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

To make it easier to get the mugshots:

http://www.spriters-resource.com/ds/dragonballzattackofthesaiyans/ (Scroll to the bottom)

Warning, spoilers if you go exploring.

This looks great, looking forward to the updates.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.
Attack of the Saiyans is a definitely one of the best Dragon Ball/Z RPGs out there.

Fun fact! :eng101:

This game was actually branded under the Dragon Ball Kai logo in Japan, as a bit of promotion for the series when it was still airing there. The localization team switched it up to Z for marketing/familiarity reasons since Kai hadn't aired anywhere else yet.

This is doubly ironic. First, Kai actually had subpar ratings in Japan, while overseas it was much better received. So while the game tried to promote Kai by branding itself as such, the localized version tossed it out, only to be hit by the popularity of Kai in the West.

Second, Kai only covered the "Z" portion of the TV anime, while as you've just seen, Attack of the Saiyans is starting before "Dragon Ball" ends. There are other reasons that this is ironic, but that'd be spoiler-y for the game and I'll hold off on saying any of that.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Brewsuke posted:

The Legacy of Goku series are the only DBZ RPGs I was ever aware of, so I'm excited to see how this goes, too.

EDIT: But apparently there are like, thirty DBZ RPGs, not including Dragon Ball Online. http://dragonball.wikia.com/wiki/Category:RPG_games

Ohhh, it was Legacy of Goku! I thought this was that at first so this really started to confuse me about four images in while I half-remembered the game.

I'm still gonna check this out though because the GBA Dragon Ball [Z] games have been generally pretty good, as far as I know!

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Onmi posted:

Piccolo even has a big chunk to grow through. On the whole Character-wise, Z is stronger than Dragonball.

Piccolo has some of the best character growth, period. :unsmith:

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
How come no one is calling DBZ a hentai?

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

mauman posted:

Well, that and the fights aren't quite as stupidly drawn out.

I get what you mean though.

Thats just the Animes fault.
The manga was pretty dammed brisk for a big name shonen manga.

silversatyr
Jul 29, 2014

Go on an adventure ordained by fate?
-->Okay! I'll grab my stuff!

-->Eh.

sharktamer posted:

Because it's not? It has some ecchi elements (fanservice) but they're pretty tame all told. Most shounen manga (and thus, anime) have fanservice included in order to appeal to the teenage boy eye, but they focus on battles and coolness more than anything else. DB/Z is no exception.

A hentai is primarily sexual in content and focuses on sexual situations. They also tend to be a lot more hard-core when it comes to said scenes (though there are some fairly tame versions out there). Frankly, you don't see sex, so it doesn't count as hentai.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

If there's no pixelation censoring, it's not a real hentai.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

12 year old me was very surprised to see uncensored boobs when I got the Dragonball manga.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

silversatyr posted:

Because it's not? It has some ecchi elements (fanservice) but they're pretty tame all told. Most shounen manga (and thus, anime) have fanservice included in order to appeal to the teenage boy eye, but they focus on battles and coolness more than anything else. DB/Z is no exception.

A hentai is primarily sexual in content and focuses on sexual situations. They also tend to be a lot more hard-core when it comes to said scenes (though there are some fairly tame versions out there). Frankly, you don't see sex, so it doesn't count as hentai.

I wanted to say this, but you worded it better than I could have.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

sharktamer posted:

silversatyr posted:

silversatyr posted:

Carbon dioxide posted:

If there's no pixelation censoring, it's not a real hentai.

mauman posted:

I wanted to say this, but you worded it better than I could have.

Lookit these nerds not getting a joke. Lookit em. LOOKIT EM!

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Did I really wake up to find a discussion of what hentai is in my DBZ thread?

What the gently caress, guys.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy

Leavemywife posted:

Did I really wake up to find a discussion of what hentai is in my DBZ thread?

What the gently caress, guys.

At least you didn't wake up to a link of the main characters rubbing dicks under her armpits.

This happened to me once.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

kalonZombie posted:

At least you didn't wake up to a link of the main characters rubbing dicks under her armpits.

I'm trying to formulate some sort of response to that, and I've got loving nothing.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

It's the Final Countdown.

kalonZombie posted:

This thread is off to a great start.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Leavemywife posted:

I'm trying to formulate some sort of response to that, and I've got loving nothing.

Honestly, it's not nearly as hot as it sounds.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

kalonZombie posted:

What.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

kalonZombie posted:

why would

why

Technical Analysis
Nov 21, 2007

I got 99 problems but the British ain't one.
Holy poo poo, this loving thread. I'm laughing so hard right now, I've got tears of joy!

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy

Leavemywife posted:

Danaru posted:

why would

why

Some Numbers posted:

Holy poo poo, what?! Why did that happen? What thread was that?

Lollipop Chainsaw was a hell of a thing.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
^^^^: OOOOOHHHHH.

kalonZombie posted:

Holy poo poo, what?! Why did that happen? What thread was that?

Some Numbers fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Aug 14, 2015

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

kalonZombie posted:

Why though.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Onmi posted:

However as a constructed series, Dragonball is stronger than Z, your hero is Goku, the plot focus on his adventures, he fights the villains and wins and it's his story. In Z the story is Gohans or Piccolos or Vegetas or Krillins. Goku is in the position of the mentor roll, but he solves all the problems. So there's a disconnect where it's not his adventure, but he's still the hero.
It should be noted that Toriyama had planned for Goku to stay dead after the Cell saga (maybe that was even the Namek saga, which was originally supposed to have been the end of the series), and let Gohan become the new main character.

That didn't go over well with his publishers.

Edit: Turns out a bunch of that isn't actually true, link with actual details two posts down.

KennyMan666 fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Aug 14, 2015

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

kalonZombie posted:

Ohhhhh, right I totally forgot that you LPed that game. I was just thinking 'Why would anyone be that obsessed with Ratchet? :confused:'

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

KennyMan666 posted:

It should be noted that Toriyama had planned for Goku to stay dead after the Cell saga (maybe that was even the Namek saga, which was originally supposed to have been the end of the series), and let Gohan become the new main character.

That didn't go over well with his publishers.

That's all pretty much a bunch of rumors that aren't correct.

http://www.kanzenshuu.com/intended-end/

Lights
Dec 9, 2007

Lights, the Peacock King, First of His Name.

Leavemywife posted:

This is probably the funniest LP derail I've ever read. :allears:

mkwong98
Feb 8, 2013
Great! I haven't play much DBZ games beyond SNES so I'm excited to see a LP of this game.

Hopefully I'll start the DBZ3(NES) LP before the end of the year.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

RareAcumen posted:

Ohhhhh, right I totally forgot that you LPed that game. I was just thinking 'Why would anyone be that obsessed with Ratchet? :confused:'

Hahahha jesus that would have been horrible.
And a lot more funny.

*insert political cartoon of SS3 Goku buttfucking a politician*

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

I had to go back and reread the title card with all the anime emotes I thought it might have been Tri-Ace or something.

Probably will be a "#" anger icon and a slightly different sweat drop, or light bulb or something.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Dragon Ball was a very good, high quality childrens television series, whos sole faults were that it didn't have more Launch and that the ending was a bit abrupt.

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.

RareAcumen posted:

I was just thinking 'Why would anyone be that obsessed with Ratchet? :confused:'

Oh, you poor naive goon. :allears:

Also, this thread went to weird places already. Some people just have no self-restraint (including the OP for not waiting a week to post this thread like he planned to).

azren
Feb 14, 2011

Keeshhound posted:

Piccolo has some of the best character growth, period. :unsmith:

He's also a better father to Gohan than his real father.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!

azren posted:

He's also a better father to Gohan than his real father.

Goku: Wow, Gohan seems like he's having a really tough time. Piccolo should talk to him at some point.

...Goddamn you, DBZ Abridged. You ruined me.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Any Dragon Ball-related thread becomes a DBZA thread by the end of its first page. This is irrefutable fact, and the sooner we all learn to accept it, the sooner we can all get on with learning how to DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOODGE!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Byyyyyyeeeee soooooooooonnn!

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Fuckers, it took months to get "MUFFIN BUTTON!" :byodood: out of my head, now it's back!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
"OH MY!"

Goku: Who's that, King Kai?

King Kai: It's George Takei. We somehow ended up making this a three-way.

"OH MY!"

King Kai: CALL!!! THREE-WAY CALL!!!

• Locked thread