Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
(I don't actually have a desk job, but I do spend a good amount of time doing paperwork!)

Hi thread, lets talk about sports radio and the shows we love and the ones we love to hate. This is also a place to post cool and rad interviews that you heard and want to share.

Radio shows run from being super vanilla and are basically reading the news to you (Mike and Mike) to being borderline or even clearly offensive (formerly Cowherd) to rarely being about sports at all (Lebatard). Some people love sports radio and some loathe it. Still, I believe there is a show or podcast for everyone out there. Anyways, lets discuss radio, the changes to them, and anything else sports radio related.

To get things started, I heard Sarah Spain guest co-hosting on Lebatard yesterday and she was pretty cool. Hadn't heard her before and she fit in with the style really well. Ever since Stan Van Gundy got a HC job and Bomani got his own radio show (also good and recommend the podcast as you probably don't listen to sports radio at night) they have been trying all kinds of guys as guest co-hosts. Pablo S. Torre, John Amaechi, Imin Al-Hassan have all been really good for different reasons. I kind of like this sampler pack approach they are taking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

I bounce between ESPN and Mad Dog Sports Radio.

Evan and Phillips used to be a decent show, when Babchek was just a producer and there was at least one professional who wasn't perpetually 25 years old. Now any time I forget, I get to hear what is almost always reliably Evan defending Tom Brady and generally being a knob. The next show is Adam Schein, whose phone answer phrase makes it sound like he's throwing to commercial every time he says Hello. He's also got a big douchey controversy guy like Cowherd. Then Stephen A. Smith, who oh my god I cannot listen to Stephen A. Smith. Then it's Mad Dog and some other poo poo I don't bother with at all ever.

ESPN is offensively boring or terrible in the morning (gently caress Mike and Mike), but at least I get the news in between their stupid segments about poo poo that is neither a)entertaining or b)related to sports. I'll miss SVP but Kanell works well with Russillo, and of course I love Dan and Stu, because they outright loathe what they are a part of, and I can get behind that.

Mark Schlereth sucks.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Mike & Mike suck a dick. I will be so glad when they are done.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
pawl

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
SVP is going to be a regular guest on the Russillo show during the fall.

I miss SVP

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

if you aren't following @MikeFrancesaNY you're doing Twitter wrong

(also gently caress Colin Cowherd for bumping Zaun down to Fox Sports 2, and in general)

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

On the other hand, I always enjoy Joe and Evan taking the Pope's slot during the summer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzrWm03oHXQ

Or in their usual slot

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
KJR is hot garbage

CortezFantastic
Aug 10, 2003

I SEE DEMONS
Are there any good podcasts that are out there?

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Here's the schedule of the big five syndicators.

Gandalf21
May 17, 2012

I usually listen to the Rich Eisen Show every day at work. It's good, if you liked his old podcast it's basically just more of that.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
Freddie Coleman is basically inoffensive enough that I don't mind him after work but sports radio is dire in general, especially football radio

gbaby
Feb 6, 2015
The Ticket in Dallas hands down.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
Jim Rome is awful and I wish athletes would physically assault him more often.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

On the other hand, Jim Rome does the most consistently good and interesting interviews behind only Lebatard and Papi.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I pretty much stick with ESPN Radio. I loved SVP and Russillo, and I'm looking forward to Russillo and Kanell. Those two have a fantastic chemistry.

I'm really curious what they'll do with Cowherd's spot. Part of me thinks that LeBatard filling in for Mike and Mike was some kind of audition for an earlier spot, but if that's the case then I think they will stay put. People on Twitter really hated them. I thought it was the best episode of Mike and Mike ever.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Tried listening on the way in.

Mike and Mike was Greeney and CC, and they were talking about the Greenberg dog.

Switched to Morning Men on Mad Dog. Oh, look. ONLY TALKING ABOUT TOM BRADY STILL.

gently caress it, I listened to fantasy radio on the way in. I don't even care.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

for real though

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

Podcasts are fantastic for catching up on sports while working out or handling domestic poo poo. I've grown to love Le Batard's show and have a hard time listening to regular sports radio as a result. The misery they inflicted on Mike & Mike fans last week was well deserved. Having a harder time warming up to Bomani's current show, especially by contrast to The Evening Jones, but it's still worth the time.

I burned out pretty hard on Kornheiser's show. He's had to tone down the vitriol that made him funny ever since he compared Hannah Storm to a sausage. Also, you can only listen for so long to the stories about the Redskins being run by utter shitheels without actually being a Redskins fan.

Sort-of radio, but I'm hoping Woody Paige's 500th win on Around the Horn means that they'll Old Yeller him soon. I hate his schtick, his volume, his contempt for Bomani, and that he continually rides for Tebow.

swickles posted:

To get things started, I heard Sarah Spain guest co-hosting on Lebatard yesterday and she was pretty cool. Hadn't heard her before and she fit in with the style really well.

I agree, and really hope she takes off. She was definitely enjoyable, and it'd be nice to have someone from the Midwest cover sports who wasn't over-the-top blue collar proletariat.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
I still don't understand how so many people hate Mike and Mike. It's literally the most inoffensive vanilla show. I can see being utterly indifferent, but hate should be reserved for Colin Cowherd.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Ross Angeles posted:

I still don't understand how so many people hate Mike and Mike. It's literally the most inoffensive vanilla show. I can see being utterly indifferent, but hate should be reserved for Colin Cowherd.

I think Mike and Mike crosses into "so bland that I dislike it" territory. They're the Taylor Swift of sports radio.

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

So, and tell if me I'm wrong here guys, but Golic and I are driving to the studio this morning, and he...he actually FLACUATES in the car! Now tell me that isn't just disgusting!

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
The worst part is their commercials they run during the show.

Dattserberg
Dec 30, 2005

National champion, Heisman winner, King crab enthusiast
DP is the best and then it's a race for second in my mind. His segments with Eisen are fantastic. SVP and Russillo was great, I'm starting to come around Lebatard, and completely agree with the post about more athletes physically assaulting Jim Rome.

The new Russillo show will be interesting. Got to be difficult to replace SVP though.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Ross Angeles posted:

someone post golicbreaktheinternet.jpg

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
I enjoy Jim Rome and listen to him most mornings.

Come at me.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Anals of History posted:

He's had to tone down the vitriol that made him funny ever since he compared Hannah Storm to a sausage.

I can't stop laughing at this. What an awesome reason to get suspended.

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

I like when there is a spirited debate about something and Golic overrides everything Greenberg says because he played in the NFL 20 years ago.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Ty1990 posted:

I like when there is a spirited debate about something and Golic overrides everything Greenberg says because he played in the NFL 20 years ago.

"listen up fairy man, i was a back up d-lineman and a 10th round draft pick, I KNOW"

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

ya'll watch this video that has mike and mike in it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibsV3E56d0c

their part starts at 49 seconds

it's perfect

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
I listen to local poo poo, and ESPN radio during commercials... or during the Buck & Kincaid show, they loving sucks.

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

Ehud posted:

I think Mike and Mike crosses into "so bland that I dislike it" territory. They're the Taylor Swift of sports radio.

Taylor Swift has some very likable work. Have never felt that way about Mike & Mike, I don't dislike them its just not for me.

I like Russillo and Lebatard. Lebatard can be a gasbag at times but I find the show enjoyable.

Ty1990 posted:

Its what I'd do. One of the perks.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
I often fall asleep listening to ESPN Radio SportsCenter or whatever ESPN poo poo they play late night. Its also nice if I am driving around late at night.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

commy gun posted:

Taylor Swift has some very likable work. Have never felt that way about Mike & Mike, I don't dislike them its just not for me.

I like Russillo and Lebatard. Lebatard can be a gasbag at times but I find the show enjoyable.

Its what I'd do. One of the perks.

Joe Benigno's eternal self loathing for being a Jets fan is owny

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:
Michelle Beadle needs her own show, she also would have been perfect for Rusillo.

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

The Heroes the Vikings Deserve
Lipstick Apathy
I miss getting mad at KFAN when I lived in Minnesota.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
Anyone know of any indepth NFL podcasts are aren't necessarily about current events? I have to go sit on a boat offshore for three weeks at a time with lovely internet so I'd like to load up on podcasts that I can pass the time with.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy
I miss Scott Van Pelt :smith:

e: We lost him before most folks did - here in upstate NY they started airing the lovely Mike Lupica show from 1-3 last year and I haven't heard SVP&R since, except in podcasts or youtubes. You want to talk about bad, listen to Lupica's lovely rear end show for 2 loving hours, it's absolute garbage.

Fenrir fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Aug 14, 2015

Wiccan Wasteland
Oct 15, 2012

gbaby posted:

The Ticket in Dallas hands down.

The Ticket owns https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzPuK0iMueo

Bob Sturm and Norm Hitzges are probably the best go to guys for football in Dallas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Bomani talked about jerry curls for an hour :3: