Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

AsInHowe posted:

The bottom of the barrel is, was, and will always be Bill Simonson.

- Got fired in Oklahoma for saying a black coach sounds like Buckwheat on the air.
- Got fired in Texas for claiming that his producer's landlord was exposing herself with lap dances at a party, and them got the station sued over those remarks.
- Got fired in Chicago for getting his rear end kicked outside a White Sox game.
- Is now in Grand Rapids, where you have fun incidents like this:

Bill loving Mcallister from the 97.1 morning show is one of the biggest idiots in history and he has managed to corrupt Stony like grima wormtongue. One time, because they never talk about sports, they were talking about horses for some unknown reason. He thought europeans did not have horses until they came to america.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
Waddle and Silvy loving blow

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Bill loving Mcallister from the 97.1 morning show is one of the biggest idiots in history and he has managed to corrupt Stony like grima wormtongue. One time, because they never talk about sports, they were talking about horses for some unknown reason. He thought europeans did not have horses until they came to america.

Wow.

Filthy Casual
Aug 13, 2014

WoodrowSkillson posted:

A classic from 2006, Mike Valenti loses his drat mind after MSU suffers yet another disastrous loss. He has since grown up significantly over the past decade, I think he is like 24 here. Valenti and Foster is routinely the most entertaining sports radio in Detroit, although their station forces them to do way too much taking calls and reading texts then doing interviews.

It just shows that everyone in this city is an intellectual train wreck. Well, they would be, if we had trains.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

WoodrowSkillson posted:

I....what the gently caress

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

AsInHowe posted:

I....what the gently caress

I was so flabbergasted I immediately texted anyone i knew that had heard the show. For years i had that text saved but I have since changed phones and it is lost like tears in rain

Dattserberg
Dec 30, 2005

National champion, Heisman winner, King crab enthusiast

AsInHowe posted:

The bottom of the barrel is, was, and will always be Bill Simonson.

- Got fired in Oklahoma for saying a black coach sounds like Buckwheat on the air.
- Got fired in Texas for claiming that his producer's landlord was exposing herself with lap dances at a party, and them got the station sued over those remarks.
- Got fired in Chicago for getting his rear end kicked outside a White Sox game.
- Is now in Grand Rapids, where you have fun incidents like this:

I agree that Bill "Huge" Simonson is just awful and in general a piece of poo poo. For some reason Huge is broadcast throughout the entire loving state. The funniest part of his show is how thin-skinned he is, he cannot handle criticism at all and whines on air about it whenever people start giving him poo poo.

Ryan Schuiling is the equivalent of your idiot friend who thinks he's got this sports thing figured out but has no sort of opinion apart from blind homerism. It's like someone gave a 12 year old the mic for 2 hours a day.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Ross Angeles posted:

Waddle and Silvy loving blow

Yeah I haven't enjoyed them at all this week

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Dattserberg posted:

I agree that Bill "Huge" Simonson is just awful and in general a piece of poo poo. For some reason Huge is broadcast throughout the entire loving state. The funniest part of his show is how thin-skinned he is, he cannot handle criticism at all and whines on air about it whenever people start giving him poo poo.

Ryan Schuiling is the equivalent of your idiot friend who thinks he's got this sports thing figured out but has no sort of opinion apart from blind homerism. It's like someone gave a 12 year old the mic for 2 hours a day.

Huge is currently on a jihad against Schuiling, it is pretty funny, Simonson might lose a lot of sponsors over this.

Dattserberg
Dec 30, 2005

National champion, Heisman winner, King crab enthusiast

AsInHowe posted:

Huge is currently on a jihad against Schuiling, it is pretty funny, Simonson might lose a lot of sponsors over this.

Hahaha seriously??? Maybe now I'll tune in so I can hear them go back and forth.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
What is it about sports radio that attracts the loudest, dumbest manchildren alive?

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

Dead? That's what they want you to think.

Benne posted:

What is it about sports radio that attracts the loudest, dumbest manchildren alive?

You don't have to be smart or good looking.

Filthy Casual
Aug 13, 2014

Benne posted:

Call-in radio shows are basically the original clickbait journalism.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Benne posted:

these people have hundreds, if not thousands, of these awful stupid opinions in their heads, and they have spent their entire lives alienating everyone who would possibly have been willing to listen to them. sports radio is all they have left

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Dattserberg posted:

Hahaha seriously??? Maybe now I'll tune in so I can hear them go back and forth.

Someone has been sending all of Simonson's old incidents to his sponsors. He is testier than usual.

turbomoose
Nov 29, 2008
Playing the banjo can be a relaxing activity and create lifelong friendships!
\
:backtowork:
Around the NFL podcast is awesome and you should all listen to it. It's nothing revolutionary as far as the analysis goes, it usually follows the sentiment here, but the chemistry between the guys is top notch and really makes for an enjoyable product.

Smashlampjaw
Aug 16, 2008
I spend alot of time in my car at my job, so i've been listening too some sports talk radio, I've listened to Scott Ferrall dude has a terrible chain-smoking grandma-voice but I've gotten use to him and he is p. entertaining. (him making fun Jay Gruden was p funny)

Smashlampjaw fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Aug 29, 2015

Idiot Kicker
Jun 13, 2007
Ferrall is pretty funny. You just have to go in with the understanding that it's not going to be a "professional" or even "competent" discussion of sports.
CBS overall isn't too bad. I loathe Gottlieb but my affiliate bumps him off for the local guys.

aquaper
Apr 3, 2009
I'm a fan of Ferrall. His show was just awesome when he was on Sirius. Too bad CBS has him reined in. If I'm up late, I'll tune in to Amy Laurence on CBS Sports.
I'm a college football fan so I can't go without my SiriusXM.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

First time I heard Ferrall I was convinced his voice was a bit. Then I realized no, no, that's very real. And it is great.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Posted this in another thread, but Grantland did a long piece on Ferrall recently. I vaguely remember listening to him when he started in the 90's:

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/scott-ferrall-sports-radio-nhl-new-york-rangers-wfan-stanley-cup-pittsburgh-penguins/

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:
Thought I'd give Bomani Jones a spin tonight and he's gone to the race card on RG3. That's enough national sports radio for a while.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
The race card. :ohdear:

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

warcrimes posted:

Thought I'd give Bomani Jones a spin tonight and he's gone to the race card on RG3. That's enough national sports radio for a while.

Bomani is truth, sorry you are a racist.

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:

swickles posted:

Bomani is truth, sorry you are a racist.

Me too, my dad is gonna be upset at me.

Parlett316
Dec 6, 2002

Jon Snow is viciously stabbed by his friends in the night's watch for wanting to rescue Mance Rayder from Ramsay Bolton

warcrimes posted:

What was his hot take besides that Robert only had a "decent" rookie season in his mind

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

Parlett316 posted:

What was his hot take besides that Robert only had a "decent" rookie season in his mind

That teams couldn't wait to replace black QBs that were failing. He used the really odd example of Warren Moon at the very end of his career and Cody Carolson(sp) and then cited Vinny Testaverde interception numbers. Absolutely ignoring that RG3 has been poo poo the past two seasons.

Also asserted that black QBs careers are over once they fail as starters. Cited Aaron Brooks of the Raiders never playing again after his horrible stint as our QB(although I'm pretty sure he was a back up elsewhere but don't hold me to it). Guess he never heard of Byron Leftwich, David Gerrard, Charilie Batch and I'm sure I'm forgetting others.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

warcrimes posted:

That teams couldn't wait to replace black QBs that were failing. He used the really odd example of Warren Moon at the very end of his career and Cody Carolson(sp) and then cited Vinny Testaverde interception numbers. Absolutely ignoring that RG3 has been poo poo the past two seasons.

Also asserted that black QBs careers are over once they fail as starters. Cited Aaron Brooks of the Raiders never playing again after his horrible stint as our QB(although I'm pretty sure he was a back up elsewhere but don't hold me to it). Guess he never heard of Byron Leftwich, David Gerrard, Charilie Batch and I'm sure I'm forgetting others.

Either you weren't listening, or you heard what you wanted to hear. He used Warren Moon as the exception to the rule, that after he replaced the guy in Houston he ended up staying and playing until he was really really old. I mean, the argument is sound. Josh Freeman was Eli Manning for the first four years, they each had similar number the first 4 years of their career. Josh was traded, played on like a couple hours of learning the offense and is now basically out of the league. The argument wasn't that people don't like black QB's, but that they are more willing to fins excuses for white QB's and why they should start (not play backup like in the examples you cited) vs. black QB's. Also, it was like one bit in the middle of the show after he explained exactly how its Washington's fault that RG3 is ruined.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

the new Scott Van Pelt sportscenter starts on Monday night after the VT/OSU game.

I miss him on radio still :(

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Ross Angeles posted:

the new Scott Van Pelt sportscenter starts on Monday night after the VT/OSU game.

Me too. I haven't caught the new show since it was officially changed over. Gonna try to listen tomorrow.

I may DVR the new SVP show. I can't stay up that late :smith:

korrandark
Jan 5, 2009

Ross Angeles posted:

How is his Sportcenter going to be different compared to other ones?

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Ehud posted:

Me too. I haven't caught the new show since it was officially changed over. Gonna try to listen tomorrow.

I may DVR the new SVP show. I can't stay up that late :smith:

West coast b1tch :cool:

Also, here are some of the things confirmed for the SVP show:

One Big Thing — the trademark essay from Van Pelt’s radio program
Bad Beats — games that had a unique resonance in Las Vegas
Best Available Video — the fun, extraordinary images of the day
Best Thing I Saw Today — Van Pelt’s nightly pick of the signature moment/topic
Oh, No! — a kinder, gentler, and shorter version of the SportsCenter “Not Top 10,” presented with empathy
West Coast Bias — a feature designed to serve fans who watch at 9 p.m. PT, at times including 1 a.m. SportsCenter anchors Neil Everett and Stan Verrett.
Where in the World Isn’t SVP? — Tweets from fans who see lookalikes of Van Pelt at places around the world

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

swickles posted:

Either you weren't listening, or you heard what you wanted to hear. He used Warren Moon as the exception to the rule, that after he replaced the guy in Houston he ended up staying and playing until he was really really old. I mean, the argument is sound. Josh Freeman was Eli Manning for the first four years, they each had similar number the first 4 years of their career. Josh was traded, played on like a couple hours of learning the offense and is now basically out of the league. The argument wasn't that people don't like black QB's, but that they are more willing to fins excuses for white QB's and why they should start (not play backup like in the examples you cited) vs. black QB's. Also, it was like one bit in the middle of the show after he explained exactly how its Washington's fault that RG3 is ruined.

Plus the fact that the excuse "but he is bad"doesn't really work when your replacement is at least as bad. Because cousins is really bad.

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

swickles posted:

Fair enough, I misheard the part on Moon, then. Freeman has had several chances on at least 2 or 3 teams(Miami and Minnesota come to mind immediately) to salvage his career, he's done. Starters or back ups, I still don't agree with the premise- Randall Cunningham, Daunte Culpepper, Steve McNair, McNabb, etc.

CharlestheHammer posted:

Plus the fact that the excuse "but he is bad"doesn't really work when your replacement is at least as bad. Because cousins is really bad.

Seems that every Redskin goon who posted on it is in agreement that as bad as Cousins is, RG3 is worse.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

warcrimes posted:

Fair enough, I misheard the part on Moon, then. Freeman has had several chances on at least 2 or 3 teams(Miami and Minnesota come to mind immediately) to salvage his career, he's done. Starters or back ups, I still don't agree with the premise- Randall Cunningham, Daunte Culpepper, Steve McNair, McNabb, etc.

Seems that every Redskin goon who posted on it is in agreement that as bad as Cousins is, RG3 is worse.

Josh Freeman left Tampa with a pretty good track record, and was thrown to the wolves. The guy had like 2 days to learn an entirely new offense, so when he sucked rear end, he was written off. He went to Miami in the preseason, but that was after being without a team for a while, which I think is underestimated. If Eli Manning was shipped off after four years to play mid-season in a new system and sucked, he would have every excuse under the sun made for him. Culpepper left after a knee injury and was never the same due to rehab issues, so I don't feel comfortable with him in the sample size, but even if you insist, he was still towards the end of hi career. McNabb was benched towards the end of games because he supposedly wasn't as good at the two minute offense, plus he was on a different team after a decade+ long career, not after his rookie contract.

I know Vince Young and Jamarcus sucked, but they literally have had no shot to earn a way back into the NFL while Tim Tebow, Gabbert, Rex Grossman (Still today!), and Ryan loving Lindely have plenty of oppurtunities to prove they are worthy of a McCown-esque career. The point is that if you look at the exceptions to the rule, they are all black QB's who have earned contracts with the team that drafted them. Look at white QBs who don't get a second contract whether they are cut or traded and compare it to black QB's who are cut or traded before a second deal. I think the discrepancy is obvious.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Let's not act like freeman had more than 1 good season

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

warcrimes posted:

Fans always think the backup is the answer.

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

swickles posted:

Josh Freeman left Tampa with a pretty good track record, and was thrown to the wolves. The guy had like 2 days to learn an entirely new offense, so when he sucked rear end, he was written off. He went to Miami in the preseason, but that was after being without a team for a while, which I think is underestimated. If Eli Manning was shipped off after four years to play mid-season in a new system and sucked, he would have every excuse under the sun made for him. Culpepper left after a knee injury and was never the same due to rehab issues, so I don't feel comfortable with him in the sample size, but even if you insist, he was still towards the end of hi career. McNabb was benched towards the end of games because he supposedly wasn't as good at the two minute offense, plus he was on a different team after a decade+ long career, not after his rookie contract.

Both of these guys played for multiple teams until injuries crippled them

swickles posted:

I know Vince Young and Jamarcus sucked, but they literally have had no shot to earn a way back into the NFL while Tim Tebow, Gabbert, Rex Grossman (Still today!), and Ryan loving Lindely have plenty of oppurtunities to prove they are worthy of a McCown-esque career. The point is that if you look at the exceptions to the rule, they are all black QB's who have earned contracts with the team that drafted them. Look at white QBs who don't get a second contract whether they are cut or traded and compare it to black QB's who are cut or traded before a second deal. I think the discrepancy is obvious.

LOL @ trying to use Jamarcus Russell in this argument. Are you serious? Russell was loving terrible when he played. He also immediately got fat as gently caress after he left football and is probably the second biggest draft bust of all time. Young had some well publicized issues but was still signed by several teams after his time with the Titans, last one was with the Browns.

CharlestheHammer posted:

Nobody thinks he's the answer. he's going to get them through the season and Fail for Cardale. But with a lot less distractions and possible death on the field.

warcrimes fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Sep 2, 2015

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

CharlestheHammer posted:

Yeah, the damning stat here is that when you chart interceptable balls (not actual interceptions, but the adjusted rate) Cousin's throws one every 11 passes while Griffin does every 24. Griffin has become ultra-conservative mostly in part as to how the franchise and coaching staff has treated him, that is his biggest knock. Its not a small one either and depending on the person could be a career ender.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Remember when Jamarcus turned into bizarro Russell and owned the Broncos a couple of times