Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Gothic 1 and 2 are some of the best RPGs I ever played. Piranha Bytes really knows how to make a world that feels lived in. Their maps are small compared to poo poo like Skyrim but they're so full of hand placed detail that it's hard to even compare the two. I was really hoping that with JoWood collapsing and Nordic Games picking up everything that PB would be given the opportunity to remake Gothic 1.

Gothic 2 also has my favorite insult in a video game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OuE2yud9BWI
It's so good.

Risen 1 was so, so, so close to being amazing. It's such a shame. It would be up with Gothic 2 as an amazing RPG if it wasn't for the last third. I mean, look at this poo poo!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UARKChxxL4U
It had such a great atmosphere. It also had some pretty sharp, fun writing.

It's too bad that Risen 2 completely sandbagged the franchise. If Risen 2 had improved on Risen 1 the same way that Gothic 2 improved on Gothic then it'd definitely have been a franchise people cared about.

Risen 3 was much better but still had some of that Risen 2 baggage. It returned to the 'camp' idea from Gothic 1/2 and took Risen 2's archipelago idea and greatly expanded on it. The islands were bigger and more detailed but it still wasn't great. The story was also kinda dumb. Risen 1 ended with a really cool premise but then Risen 2/3 only barely touched on it and was just "Pirates are cool, right? Also Titans I guess."

Edit: gently caress Gothic 1 and 2 were so good. The early-mid 2000s was such a great time for weird, buggy, ambitious european/russian games.

Sankis fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Aug 20, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread