Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
3:10 to Yuma.

The remake is very good too as far as recent hollywood westerns go.

Obviously the best ones have already been mentioned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mistletoe Donkey
Jan 26, 2009
The Great Silence is essential viewing. I think it's the best of Corbucci's westerns. Great snowy setting plus Klaus Kinski as the villain puts it into my top 5.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
The best western is actually El Topo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FjKcuh8pZtE

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Pablo Bluth posted:

High Plains Drifter has already been name-checked so I'm going to be the terrible person who suggests The Quick and The Dead because Sharon Stone as a cowgirl...

At least you specified which Quick and the Dead.

And you know what? Yes, Heaven's Gate is a nonsensical pile with Christopher Walken as a cowboy and Jack McCoy as a crazy racist, but god drat if it isn't a gorgeously shot pile.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Two more of my favorites not mentioned yet.

Visual evidence:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TArcc_WduhE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9-KV9N8bkY

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Is this being counted as a Western? Because if so yeah this movie owns.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
El Topo is a martial arts movie, in my opinion.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
"To date" is an interesting way to frame a genre that barely exists anymore. It seems the allure of romanticizing the frontier has waned as it becomes a more distant history.

Picking one feels weirdly wrong, because I think the more you see, the more they inform and improve one another. I'm not sure there's one that I'd point to as the signature type, except maybe Stagecoach. I've seen close to 100 Westerns, which is really not all that many in the big scheme of it, and these are the big ones for me, presented without rank in chronological order:

Destry Rides Again (1939)
Stagecoach (1939)
The Ox-Bow Incident (1943)
High Noon (1952)
Shane (1953)
Johnny Guitar (1954)
The Searchers (1956)
Gunfight at the O.K. Corral (1957)
The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance (1962)
Hud (1963)
For a Few Dollars More (1965)
The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly (1966)
Once upon a Time in the West (1968)
Dead Man (1995)
The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada (2005)

It's kind of interesting laying it out like this and trying to figure out what it says about my taste. I think the dynamic that morality plays in the stories is primarily what makes Westerns so riveting for me. Heroics in the west are never clean; the gunfighter sacrifices his soul and murders so that others may try to live their lives in peace. Whether the film is cynical or idealistic in tone, it's generally got that same focus. My later picks are certainly distant subversions of that idea. While Dead Man is mainly a methodical exploration of transcendentalism, it's still all rooted in the surface plot of William Blake's killing for survival. Three Burials spins it even wilder with what I can only think to describe as a splash of Gabriel Garcia Marquez, but remains a tale of a man enacting his idea of frontier justice and honor. I'll stop talking for now but obviously there's a lifetime's worth to say about Westerns.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Zogo posted:

Two more of my favorites not mentioned yet.

Visual evidence:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TArcc_WduhE

Best western based on an old-English folktale ever.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Mechafunkzilla posted:

It's okay, Pale Rider is also really loving good and worth mentioning. No ghosts in it though.

Clint Eastwood is a ghost in Pale Rider.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

Ensign_Ricky posted:

And you know what? In some ways it's very very stupid, but dammit, I can't help but love Tombstone. Kurt Russel and Val Kilmer being awesome, Sam Elliot doing his Sam Elliot thing all over the place, Charlton loving Heston out of goddamn nowhere, and Billy Zane being a ridiculous fop of an actor. How can you not love this movie???

Don't forget Powers loving Boothe.

My favorite Western of the last decade is probably Appaloosa.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Mad Max Fury Road is a good western. It's certainly got the horsepower.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I'm going to cheat and include a TV show and say Deadwood is at least top five.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Open Range's finale is one of the best in the genre for my money. It's a solid movie, but that last gunfight is a real standout.

Snowman_McK fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Aug 16, 2015

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

TheJoker138 posted:

Fair enough, The Adventures of Brisco County Jr. is one of the most enjoyable shows to watch, and it's one season just meant that it ended on a ludicrously high note. :colbert:

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Judakel posted:

High Noon is really Hitchcock in a Western setting, but I absolutely love how well the film slowly escalates tension. None of Sergio's goofy Westerns have ever impacted me as much as High Noon.

Glad to see this was posted so early because it was to be mine.

---

Have we decided that No Country for Old Men isn't a Western because it has trucks instead of horses? Haven't noticed it mentioned, but it definitely should be, provided our definition of Western extends beyond the 1800s.

DarkSol
May 18, 2006

Gee, I wish we had one of them doomsday machines.

I'm going to go against the grain and say that Lemonade Joe is my favorite Western.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Rango is definitely a good and unconventional Western.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Surprised there's no mention of CineD favorite Django Kill! If You Live, Shoot! yet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPqXVCPS6Ls

I once screened The Great Silence for a group of people, and most of them said they would've preferred the alternate edited ending where the frozen sheriff shows up. I was pretty bemused about that.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

TheJoker138 posted:

I love this show to death but the lack of an ending because of cancellation kills me every time.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

DarkSol posted:

I'm going to go against the grain and say that Lemonade Joe is my favorite Western.

Is that the sickly Czech western parody?

DarkSol
May 18, 2006

Gee, I wish we had one of them doomsday machines.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Is that the sickly Czech western parody?

If by "sickly", you mean "awesome", then yes.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I just mean the look of the movie. It is awesome.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
I've always had a soft spot for the Trinity movies and My Name is Nobody.

That's mostly due to my love of Terence Hill though.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I don't date westerns, I just gently caress them and then never call them.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Rio Bravo is good
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1uuAjwvtxEM

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Skeezy posted:

I love this show to death but the lack of an ending because of cancellation kills me every time.

Hopefully the movie happens.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
I have to admit, even though I think Unforgiven is exceptional, I've never really managed to get into westerns more than the superficial must-sees. I did love The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford, though. It was slow, but beautiful. It's a shame it didn't perform well in the theaters, but that didn't exactly come as a surprise.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

It was briefly mentioned earlier but I've always enjoyed watching El Dorado. I personally think Mitchum outshines Wayne and James Caan is pretty great in it as well. It's pretty much a remake of Rio Bravo, but I like it more than Rio Bravo.

It's also been mentioned, but I always liked The Wild Bunch as a nice end cap to the western era.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"
The obvious pick is City Slickers II: The Legend of Curly's Gold

But really, I would have a hard time picking a favorite, westerns have so much variation and there are so many good ones. High Noon and The Searchers are two that stick out to me.

Myabe because I re-watched it recently, but I found The Shooting interesting. But it's a western in the same sense that Apocalypse Now is a war movie.

Dr.Caligari fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Aug 17, 2015

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

AFewBricksShy posted:

It was briefly mentioned earlier but I've always enjoyed watching El Dorado. I personally think Mitchum outshines Wayne and James Caan is pretty great in it as well. It's pretty much a remake of Rio Bravo, but I like it more than Rio Bravo.

It's also been mentioned, but I always liked The Wild Bunch as a nice end cap to the western era.

Robert Mitchum is a much better belligerant drunk than Dean Martin.

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks
For unconventional Westerns, I liked Meek's Cutoff a lot. Very stark depiction of the wagon-train era.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
It's not necessarily my favorite but City Slickers is often overlooked because it's set in modern times.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
If City Slickers is a western, then 3 Amigos is a better western.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Drifter posted:

If City Slickers is a western, then 3 Amigos is a better western.

Not arguing this.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
the best western film is Drive

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

DolphinCop posted:

the best western film is Drive

I like Taxi Driver myself.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Or a History of Violence.

Bloodcider
Jun 19, 2009
This thread made me look up more recent westerns and I ended up with the trailer for Colin Farrell's magnum opus, American Outlaws.

Does movie-voice-trailer guy even still exist? Or was he completely replaced by Inception BWOMs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself
Unforgiven is so, so good.

• Locked thread