Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

ToxicSlurpee posted:

If you're going to treat temp workers like on-call employees then you're going to loving pay them like on-call employees.

People that are on-call get paid for being on-call even if they aren't working. The gig economy is lovely because it puts a gently caress load of people on-call but they only get paid when they actually have work. You want a reserve army of workers? OK, fine. Put the damned safety net back in place so they don't go hungry if nobody wants to hire them today. Hell that's also a good time to argue in favor of GMI. Hey, so nobody is hiring? No big deal, you still have a place to live and food to eat. Head to the library and read a book in your spare time or like go clean up the park. Or just sit at home and play video games, nobody cares.

This touches on a lot of points that have been rattling around in my head for awhile now:

It seems to me that the other side of the coin of "just bootstrap yourself into a job you lazy gently caress" suggests that the private sector can, and *should*, provide 100% employment to 100% of the population.

However, the prime directive of the private sector is "profit uber alles", which frequently involves doing as much as you can with as few employees as possible, and when you have to expand, to do it with as many "flexible" (temporary) employees as possible.

It seems that putting these two conflicting ideals together and forcing that cognitive dissonance is about the right time to bring up "*somebody* should be an employer of last resort, even if the definition of employment at that point is 'acquire a fresh, hot new skill for our rapidly changing economy' ". Or, alternatively, clean up the park, or plant some trees today, or whatever. I mean, there's certainly no shortage of work to be done; the only argument is how much profit can be extracted from it.

The other possible alternative to the above scenario would be to force people to pay every single employee so much that sudden bouts of joblessness don't horrifically impact the person or their family. Except, of course, that can't work for another reason (spending habits are frequently dumb, it would probably cost more in the long run to do it this way, etc.) that "employer of last resort" probably works out better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread