Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

Minister of Sound posted:

I think "I really wish I wasn't a letterer sometimes," because I'm constantly analyzing everything on the page. Like, "that tail isn't pointing at the mouth" or "the reading order is off" or "that's a REALLY great sound effect!!!" That's my bar now, if I can read a book without noticing the lettering, then I know it's good.

Does subpar lettering ever keep you from reading a book? I've been dipping my toe in the indie lettering waters, and even with my extremely limited expertise, there are a few books that I know are good that I just can't read, because every time I pick them up, all I see are tangents and tails jutting out at odd angles.

Conversely, when you see something that's really great, particularly something out of your usual wheelhouse, do you squirrel it away for later use? I know there are definitely styles of lettering, like Rus Wooton's propensity for circular balloons, or John Workman's, ... well, ... everything, but it still doesn't seem like the kind of thing where someone's work can be easily pinpointed in the same way people can tell JRJR and Liefeld and Hitch and Ramos apart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

Minister of Sound posted:

I only get in real trouble if I do something deliberate, like hiding messages in alien cypher text or something. I got busted for using the term "God Dammit" in this thing a year and a half after it came out: http://kierongillen.tumblr.com/post/33908757892/journey-into-mystery-transcript-of-norse-runes

Ha ha! That's awesome! There needs to be a tumblr with all the hidden messages letterers leave in comics.

How do you seek to improve your lettering? It seems like there's a definitive wall of GOOD LETTERING/BAD LETTERING with awareness of linebreaks and how far to stretch tails, etc, but after that, is it just a matter of trying a bunch of styles and pushing yourself to be more creative? How often have you done a test page (or pages or whatehaveyou) with a specific style and had to scrap it after a writer/artist/editor voiced their concerns?

Inkspot fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Aug 18, 2015

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
You should really visit the Making Comics thread. I'm pretty sure the debate resolved with a solid "whatever, bro."

• Locked thread