Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever
K-On is a good show. Nichijou is a good show. People voting these for -1 because of politics suck.

(K-On is better though)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

It's tough to be a good kyoani show in this adult world we live in

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib
1) Hyouka - This KyoAni show is the best because words
2) Sound! Euphonium
3) K-on!
4) The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
5) Nichijou
6) Amagi Brilliant Park
7) Free
8) Tamako Market
9) Love, Chunibyo & Other Delusions
10) Beyond the Boundary

-1) Lucky Star

EDIT: I haven't seen the others. I should probably watch FMP Fumoffu sometime though.

unpronounceable fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Aug 16, 2015

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
1) Free

x) I haven't really watched anything else.
xx) I guess I should watch Full Metal Panic excepting Fumoffu, since I like big robots
xxx) I'll probably start Beyond The Boundary later this year (though people here seem to think it's bad)

While it doesn't have to be superficially gay, I prefer shows that focus on men or on action, so KyoAni has only recently recognized my existence. Sometimes I see a K-on! shirt or something and think "oh, cute character"; but their string of slice of life relationships, manic pixie dreamgirl plots, or casts full of ladies isn't what I'm looking for.

I guess that makes this kind of a poo poo post, but I see anime fans everywhere who treat them like LEGENDS~! (including some who complained that Free was a waste of their time and considerable talents) so it's always been a bit perplexing to me.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Their bread and butter is cute girl shows, but they happen to be the most technically accomplished cute girl shows out there, so that guarantees some popularity. And now and then they'll throw a high concept mind blowing curve ball (haruhi) or just something really life affirming and beautiful (nichijou) and I think that's why they're legends.

oh and I like their sense of humor (yes even lucky star)

I think they understand the minds of their fans disturbingly well, and your critiques aren't off the mark, but it's not just waifus, even in the more insipid shows

Mia Wasikowska fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Aug 16, 2015

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Besides their technical merits, they seem quite adept at squeezing the most out of a given property and more often than not adding some of spark or oomph that was not otherwise present to the point where I don't think anyone ever says they preferred whatever the original was. Like I was kind of blown about by the smallest of details in Euphonium, whether it is minute character movement or even just crazy details in the sound (they even went so far as to make "bad" tracks on the soundtrack where the band was still learning).

The flip side of this is that they can not write their way out of a wet paper bag, and basically any attempt at an original property (which kinda sorta is what KnK, Free, and Chuunibyo fall under) never lands the same as their pure adaptations.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Nate RFB posted:

Besides their technical merits, they seem quite adept at squeezing the most out of a given property and more often than not adding some of spark or oomph that was not otherwise present to the point where I don't think anyone ever says they preferred whatever the original was. Like I was kind of blown about by the smallest of details in Euphonium, whether it is minute character movement or even just crazy details in the sound (they even went so far as to make "bad" tracks on the soundtrack where the band was still learning).

The flip side of this is that they can not write their way out of a wet paper bag, and basically any attempt at an original property (which kinda sorta is what KnK, Free, and Chuunibyo fall under) never lands the same as their pure adaptations.

Weren't KnK and Chuunibyo LN properties that they adapted? Free is original, I think, so they have no licensing costs which makes making sequels more profitable since they don't have to split merch bucks.

Also, I highly expect Nichijou to be super divided since I doubt everyone enjoys the over the top slapstick that it has

PotU
Jul 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
k-on
nichijou
tamako market
hyouka
euphonium
amagi
lucky star
chuuni
free
haruhi

i know a lot about kyoani and this is definitely the ultimate list

PotU
Jul 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
chuuni over haruhi, thats right

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
no nurse-witch komugi-chan or inu yasha???!!?

but seriously full metal panic is the only good thing on that list

PotU
Jul 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
also lol at the no name white noise people trying to get some recognition by fakehating on けいおん

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

PotU
Jul 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
abluhhhhh mugi getting upset that her rich family sent a yacht to the beach house where the club is having their practice camp because she wants to be treated normally and experience a regular school life is bad durrr i only watch dubs

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

PotU posted:

also lol at the no name white noise people trying to get some recognition by fakehating on けいおん

not part of my forum clique? then I don't care what you have to say either.

PotU
Jul 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
lycopene? i dont get it and instead of brain i have poo poo??? voted 1

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Xelkelvos posted:

Weren't KnK and Chuunibyo LN properties that they adapted? Free is original, I think, so they have no licensing costs which makes making sequels more profitable since they don't have to split merch bucks.
They were part of those contests where they basically asked people to send in LN ideas or something, and would not only adapt an anime for the winners but publish the books as well.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

1.amagi brilliant park cause thats more likely to get another season
2. haruhi because i havent seen it in years

thats all the ones i saw

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I feel like Amagi is going to score low for whatever reason, which it really doesn't deserve because it was really good! Even though I had Haruhi at #1 I'd look forward to a new season of Amagi waaaay more than more Haruhi.

PotU
Jul 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Nate RFB posted:

I feel like Amagi is going to score low for whatever reason, which it really doesn't deserve because it was really good! Even though I had Haruhi at #1 I'd look forward to a new season of Amagi waaaay more than more Haruhi.

amagi is not bad, its really good, but other kyoani stuff is even better!

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

i haven't seen it

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

hosed up opinion: most of what Kyoani releases is good.

sure sometimes they have duds but they have one of the better track records out there imo.

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

amagi was fun. my favorite character was teh triceratops

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

i didn't like tamako market but i respect you if you did

Webcormac McCarthy
Nov 26, 2007
1. Hyouka
2. Fumoffu
3. Sound! Euphonium
4. Clannad
5. The Second Raid
6. The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (2006)
7. Amagi Brilliant Park
8. Lucky Star
9. K-On!
10. Clannad After Story

-1. Nichijou

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

i liked tamako market and i think if you take the time to watch the series plus the movie it is a cute package and story.

i think i remember reading an interview with naoko yamada the lady who directed the movie and the series and she said that the bird was there to balance comedy, and be a character to kind of push the plot along and make decisions for the characters. that was the easiest way to go about making the tv show, but with the movie she could fully realize more of her vision for the setting and allow the characters to get to their destination on their own.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

arisu posted:

i didn't like tamako market but i respect you if you did

It's cute and fluffy like mochi. It's not filling like mochi though and more like cotton candy.

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

Dick Spacious CPA posted:

i liked tamako market and i think if you take the time to watch the series plus the movie it is a cute package and story.

i think i remember reading an interview with naoko yamada the lady who directed the movie and the series and she said that the bird was there to balance comedy, and be a character to kind of push the plot along and make decisions for the characters. that was the easiest way to go about making the tv show, but with the movie she could fully realize more of her vision for the setting and allow the characters to get to their destination on their own.

i watched 6 episodes and the movie. the movie was a lot better, but i still don't care enough to go back and watch the rest of the show.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

PotU posted:

Not here.

Nate RFB posted:

Spoiler: Yes, Amagi Brilliant Park has a lot of viewers/voters but a lower than average expected score. So the show is polarizing, and works for some, but is less likely to work for people that haven't watched it already. Sorry

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012
KyoAni has made a lot of good series, but boy have they had some stinkers also (Beyond the Boundary is just horrendous).

1) The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
2) Sound! Euphonium
3) Kanon
4) Clannad
5) Lucky Star
6) Amagi Brilliant Park
7) Full Metal Panic? Fumoffu + Full Metal Panic! The Second Raid
8) Nichijou
9) Hyouka
10) Love, Chunibyo & Other Delusions + Love, Chunibyo and Other Delusions! -Heart Throb-

-1. Beyond the Boundary

Myriad Truths fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Aug 16, 2015

Daedalus1134
Sep 14, 2005

They see me rollin'

1) Hyouka
2) Nichijou
3)The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
4) Lucky Star
5) Full Metal Panic? Fumoffu
6) Sound! Euphonium
7) Amagi Brilliant Park
8) Tamako Market
9) Beyond the Boundary
10) Love, Chunibyo & Other Delusions

-1) K-On!

The first 3 are obvious to me, the rest could be endlessly rearranged depending on mood and what specific quality I wanted to sort them on.

Daedalus1134 fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Aug 16, 2015

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
  1. Sound! Euphonium - some of the best drama I've ever seen
  2. The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
  3. K-On! + K-On!!
  4. Hyouka
  5. Clannad + After Story
  6. Full Metal Panics
  7. Lucky Star
  8. Amagi Brilliant Park
  9. Nichijou (though I confess I haven't finished this)
  10. Tamako Market

-1) Beyond the Boundary - committed the cardinal sin of being boring.

The top 3 are pretty inviolate, 4-9 are negotiable, and Tamako edges out the leftovers.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Fumoffu probably would be on my list if I had watched it. I read the manga and it was pretty funny, and it's essentially the precursor to Amagi anyways. Amagi's existence is the reason why I doubt they'll ever do another season of FMP. That and I think they made a joke about it in Lucky Star too.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

arisu posted:

hosed up opinion: most of what Kyoani releases is good.

sure sometimes they have duds but they have one of the better track records out there imo.

The only bad Kyoani is Beyond the Boundary.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
and maybe that Munto thing, I've never heard of that.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

If I set the -1st place votes to -5 points (i.e. continue the linear points awarded, down to 16th place) Beyond the Boundary now has a negative point score lol

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

not too surprising lmao

CuLT
Sep 9, 2005

1) Hyouka - http://kininarima.su
2) The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
3) Sound! Euphonium
4) Love, Chunibyo & Other Delusions
5) K-On!

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Hyouka has now the number 1 priority spot on my backlog.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

AnacondaHL posted:

Spoiler: Yes, Amagi Brilliant Park has a lot of viewers/voters but a lower than average expected score. So the show is polarizing, and works for some, but is less likely to work for people that haven't watched it already. Sorry
Well, it's really good and I hope they make more!

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Yo, could you do some cluster analysis, too? tia

there are at least two kinds of kyoani fans imo, but maybe there is a third kind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

1. Haruhi
2. Nichijou
3. Lucky Star
4. K-On
5. Hyouka

• Locked thread