Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
there are people who get off on having their balls stepped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
Some months after I quit (having been "managed out" as the article puts it) I got the most plaintive voice mail from my ex manager asking if I might consider coming back. Other people might get satisfaction from that, I just got relief

Gazpacho fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Aug 16, 2015

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

rrrrrrrrrrrt posted:

there are people who get off on having their balls stepped.

Amazon teaches them that getting treated like poo poo is critical to success and nurtures their rear end in a top hat behavior as long as they work. getting paid well means you should give up your entire life. if you show any weakness, like getting sick or pregnant or wanting see your family then your rear end in a top hat colleagues will go out of their way to gently caress you and the company encourages this.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

Gazpacho posted:

That isn't true, there are devs who stay for years. I remember one in particular who had his name on one small but useful piece of tech but otoh I hated him because he was always a few cubes over from me loudly shootin the poo poo with bros or playing with a toy helicopter or watching sports videos while I was frantically fighting fires. On the table in front of me are the very same noise canceling headphones I went out and bought on company time so I wouldn't hear him goofing around

this sounds worse than shitposting

linoleum floors
Mar 25, 2012

Please. Let me tell you all about how you're all idiots. I am of superior intellect here. Go suck some dicks. You have all fucking stupid opinions. This is my fucking opinion.

Gazpacho posted:

That isn't true, there are devs who stay for years. I remember one in particular who had his name on one small but useful piece of tech but otoh I hated him because he was always a few cubes over from me loudly shootin the poo poo with bros or playing with a toy helicopter or watching sports videos while I was frantically fighting fires. On the table in front of me are the very same noise canceling headphones I went out and bought on company time so I wouldn't hear him goofing around
Sounds like you were too dumb to snitch on him for being cool

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Steve Yegge posted:

Ha, ha! You 150-odd ex-Amazon folks here will of course realize immediately that #7 was a little joke I threw in, because Bezos most definitely does not give a poo poo about your day.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

linoleum floors posted:

i never interacted with him closely enough to know much about him but he may have been considered indispensable as a result of having deep knowledge of the part of the code that tracked item locations in the warehouses

pram
Jun 10, 2001
jeff benzos, prolific drug forum poster, dies of overdose

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

pram posted:

jeff benzos

mods pls

slush
Jun 23, 2006
Thank you for calling....
I like working for Amazon.

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless

linoleum floors posted:

those types of assholes are usually protected. they did one good thing, at one time, under the right person and now in that persons mind they can do no wrong and are absolutely invaluable. it doesn't matter if you catch them jerking off into the salad bar, it will just be dismissed as "they had a bad day and said it wouldn't happen again".

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless

slush posted:

I like working for an Amazon.

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
i heard a rumor that amazon tracks the time your mouse is moving per day in an excel file and tell you so you can check it

i assume so you feel bad about taking bathroom breaks

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007
I would just tell them I use keyboard shortcuts and tab and spacebar for everything.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

TerminalRaptor posted:

those types of assholes are usually protected. they did one good thing, at one time, under the right person and now in that persons mind they can do no wrong and are absolutely invaluable. it doesn't matter if you catch them jerking off into the salad bar, it will just be dismissed as "they had a bad day and said it wouldn't happen again".

i wish my office had a salad bar.

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless

fart simpson posted:

i wish my office had a salad bar.

it's p nice if you use it on one of the days someone isn't jerking off into it.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

TerminalRaptor posted:

their managers can't go to bat for people other employees are badmouthing

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

"We have this notion that if you're poor, you cannot do it. Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids."

As the audience reluctantly began to applaud during the silence, Biden tried to fix his remarks.

"Wealthy kids, black kids, Asian kids -- no, I really mean it." Biden said.

poty posted:

i heard a rumor that amazon tracks the time your mouse is moving per day in an excel file and tell you so you can check it

Those mouse moving programs from back in the alladvantage days need to come back

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

In His presence the mountains quake and the hills melt away; the earth trembles and its people are destroyed. Who can stand before His fierce anger?
as long as i keep getting a 10% discount on my frequent purchases i don't care if jeff bezos launches a nacht der langen drohnen and starts exterminating the undesirables

slush
Jun 23, 2006
Thank you for calling....

angry_keebler posted:

as long as i keep getting a 10% discount on my frequent purchases i don't care if jeff bezos launches a nacht der langen drohnen and starts exterminating the undesirables

but you can only keep getting your 10% discount until you've bought $1000 worth of merchandise in a calendar year

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

i hope jeff literally kills his employees in order to make the rest work harder, no i am not joking

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

people who work at Amazon and who are personally offended by this article are rallying around a LinkedIn self post article that goes "I'm a manager, and I don't think I'm a jerk, and I know what things are like here because I've worked at Amazon for 14 months."

oh and the peculiar test isn't mandatory. the nytimes doesn't say it's mandatory either, but suck it nytimes, get your facts straight on the thing you didn't say

i expect a full retraction shortly

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

jeff bozos has responded

http://www.geekwire.com/2015/full-memo-jeff-bezos-responds-to-cutting-nyt-expose-says-tolerance-for-lack-of-empathy-needs-to-be-zero/

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug

lol

"if you think we're being too hard on you, you wussy baby, report yourself to HR or myself immediately, it might be wise to clear your desk out first"

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I remember reading a while back that average tenure at amazon was 7 months and they were proud of this

cattedoge
Oct 1, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfIOBLr1NDU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

also this is long but worth reading
http://t.co/GKtb5j8DS8

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

poty posted:

such a convoluted solution to a problem. amazon just removed the toilets from its office...

http://pastebin.com/7RpXneAV

e: ^^ Quirex !

Rahu
Feb 14, 2009

let me just check my figures real quick here
Grimey Drawer
Ah, the bathroom email thread.

Good times.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

angry_keebler posted:

I expected this much from a person who "bakes"

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

some senior engineering manager posted:

The desks are a tradition from the old Amazon “door desks” and, looking at how nice they are compared to the sterile, hospital white, pressed-wood cubicle desks at other companies, they probably cost a lot more to make.
These desks are
- a two-inch solid wood top with sealed laminate on the top and sides
- four dry unpressed 4x4 legs, edges rounded, usually with visible splits
- four joining brackets and four triangular supports, all 1/16 in steel.
- several large wood screws

they're cheap as gently caress, and they're assembled by the managers in team building exercises

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Gazpacho posted:

These desks are
- a two-inch solid wood top with sealed laminate on the top and sides
- four dry unpressed 4x4 legs, edges rounded, usually with visible splits
- four joining brackets and four triangular supports, all 1/16 in steel.
- several large wood screws

they're cheap as gently caress, and they're assembled by the managers in team building exercises

you mean authentic startup feel

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008
no manager I know has ever made a desk lol, unless it was for the spirit of something or whatever.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

why are people underlining things now, stop it

pram
Jun 10, 2001

BONGHITZ posted:

agreed

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Gazpacho posted:

BONGHITZ posted:

Agreed, I clicked several times expecting to get to yo mommas website before realizing it wasn't a link.

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

i think most companies have moved onto solid plastic cube desks op; i know mine is and it's actually pretty nice

and likely not very cheap

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

https://meh.com/forum/topics/amazon-is-where-overachievers-go-to-feel-bad-about-themselves-#55d11ba8346b807400655d90

shawn from woot dot com now at meh dot com posted:

To be fair, after reading the NY Times article you should read this Amazon employee rebuttal: https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/amazonians-response-inside-amazon-wrestling-big-ideas-nick-ciubotariu
Both pieces are mostly collections of anecdotes and it's impossible to say that either is the one true representation of Amazon.
My first 18 months were more like the Amazon employee rebuttal. My last 18 months were more like the NY Times article.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

"Is it really that hard to work at Amazon?" asks paper owned by jeff bezos

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pram
Jun 10, 2001

:pram:

• Locked thread