Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pram
Jun 10, 2001
not even a disclosure lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

pram posted:

not even a disclosure lol

there's one "Bezos, who also owns The Washington Post, took aim at what he called "isolated anecdotes.""

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
On one hand people with literally nothing to gain said Amazon was a Randian hellscape, on the other hand colossal monied interests say otherwise... I guess we'll never know for sure!

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
underlining or italics works better in yospos because bolding doesn't show up very well with the stylesheet

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
it shows up just fine

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
reminder bezos is a libertarian and the wa state supreme court has found the legislature in contempt for failing to fund schools

quote:

Ballmer and Bezos opposing income tax initiative I-1098
Posted by Andrew Garber
Two of the state's richest men, Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer and Amazon.com founder and CEO Jeff Bezos, have each contributed $100,000 to the Defeat I-1098 campaign.

Initiative 1098 would create a 5 percent tax rate on annual income exceeding $200,000 for individuals and $400,000 for couples, and a 9 percent tax rate on income that tops $500,000 for individuals and $1 million for couples. It also would cut state property taxes by 20 percent and newly exempt 118,000 businesses from the state business and occupation tax.
http://old.seattletimes.com/html/politicsnorthwest/2012948586_ballmer_and_bezos_opposing_inc.html

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
just ex amazon things: reflexively typing "apollo" into new browser tabs (its been 4 years)

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
bazinga

Dolomite
Jul 26, 2000
Cars & Legs

surprise, an amazon search person cant find poo poo

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

bump_fn posted:

seriosu q someone suggest a better place to buy toilet paper &c online

buy butt wipes from the local drug store. experience a new kind of clean and also they aren't as big to carry home or whatever.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

ha, ha

pram
Jun 10, 2001
heft bloatzos

pram
Jun 10, 2001
imagine sitting on the same toilet hundreds of others did that very same day. the amazon employee experience

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

i bet they're not even fancy japanese style toilets too

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
meanwhile on twitter, Silicon Valley's finest libtard venture capitalists are falling over themselves to defend amazon

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Gazpacho posted:

These desks are
- a two-inch solid wood top with sealed laminate on the top and sides
- four dry unpressed 4x4 legs, edges rounded, usually with visible splits
- four joining brackets and four triangular supports, all 1/16 in steel.
- several large wood screws

they're cheap as gently caress, and they're assembled by the managers in team building exercises

I remember them bragging about those stupid things in presentations back in college and thinking it wasn't a terrible idea but then I got a decent desk and lol at that poo poo

also they gave out some old shoe as an award, I guess? remember wondering if there was a wad of cash in the shoe or ..?

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

in a QA job i had they spray painted a toilet plunger and gave it out as a "trophy" if you did the most gruelling job that month or whatever

Cyberbird
Jul 18, 2015

good reward for a cj

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
that's the kind of thing that depending on the people and context is ideal. decent workplaces have decent cultures where plungers can be an appropriate prize

slush
Jun 23, 2006
Thank you for calling....
I wonder what I'll cry about at my desk tomorrow. :cry:

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe

Valeyard posted:

id use amazon to get a work visa and then start looking elsewhere

ding ding ding, but gotta stay for two year or else I have to pay back the signing and relocation bonuses (just one year for relo but that signing bonus is sweet and totally worth a second year). Luckily I might even get my green card by then.

I've been here 7 months and it's been alright, I can see myself growing professionally here and then moving on. The work is neat and my team seems decent, but I really don't feel valued as an employee.

When I joined the team I was hired on (team A) needed a huge feature developed but there was already another team (B) in the company that did it but didn't have the bandwidth to develop all the changes it required. At amazon they do this thing where they will loan a dev to another team for a few weeks/months to develop the feature they want on the other teams platform. The dev will move to sit with the other team and interact with them and generally be a part of the team.

I launched that huge project on time while ramping up on all the Amazon internal tools and that early success was seen by upper-upper management. Using that same tool my coworkers on team B gave me praise and I was given an award at an all hands meeting in front of lots of senior people. Luckily this project launched right before my son was born, and per Amazon's policy on paternity leave and not having accrued enough PTO to even take 2 weeks off I felt trapped. Luckily both managers were chill and I just told manager B I'd be working from home while wrapping up that project. I was basically on call for those two weeks and dealt with little things that came up post launch here and there but it was fine and nothing that really took time away from helping my wife with baby. In retrospect I really needed a month off since we were alone up here and had no help from friends or family.

After that project was over I was supposed to go back to team A, but manager B didn't want to lose me so they had this internal tug of war where hey kept delaying me from returning by saying I need to wrap up more stuff from the original project and my original manager from team A wouldn't really say poo poo about when I would come back. I got stuck writing automation tests and didn't really have any new projects assigned since I was going to leave at any moment. I was in limbo for like two months and I felt a lot of anxiety not knowing what was happening but on the plus side it was a nice break since I was being paid a poo poo load to write simple tests and under no deadlines or expectations to perform.

Eventually both managers asked me if I had a preference for staying on one team or another and I told them I'd rather stay on team B. From what I'd seen of team A it had way to many programming divas and the work they were doing just wasn't as interesting to me. Also I had already worked with Team B for 6 months and the guys liked me so it seemed like a better fit.

Anyways that's my story so far, looking back I can't really complain (except for the lack of toilets, that shits inexcusable and pisses me off everyday, the worst was whenI had to go down 7 floors). I like Seattle and I feel that my family is doing great here, but my wife has noticed that I'm drinking a lot more now. I'm still convinced it's a fun new hobby trying all these exotic micro brews! this is Stockholm syndrome right? send help

Janitor Prime fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Aug 18, 2015

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

wow is that how signing bonuses actually work, remind me to never ask for one

slush
Jun 23, 2006
Thank you for calling....
Are you sure about the 2 year thing? If I quit after my first year I have to pay back my signing bonus and relocation benefit (prorated to the day). In the second year it's paid out monthly instead of up-front. Definitely don't need to stay for 2 years - just 1.

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe

slush posted:

Are you sure about the 2 year thing? If I quit after my first year I have to pay back my signing bonus and relocation benefit (prorated to the day). In the second year it's paid out monthly instead of up-front. Definitely don't need to stay for 2 years - just 1.

this sounds right but year 2 bonus is worth it imo

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Janitor Prime posted:

ding ding ding, but gotta stay for two year or else I have to pay back the signing and relocation bonuses (just one year for relo but that signing bonus is sweet and totally worth a second year). Luckily I might even get my green card by then.

I've been here 7 months and it's been alright, I can see myself growing professionally here and then moving on. The work is neat and my team seems decent, but I really don't feel valued as an employee.

When I joined the team I was hired on (team A) needed a huge feature developed but there was already another team (B) in the company that did it but didn't have the bandwidth to develop all the changes it required. At amazon they do this thing where they will loan a dev to another team for a few weeks/months to develop the feature they want on the other teams platform. The dev will move to sit with the other team and interact with them and generally be a part of the team.

I launched that huge project on time while ramping up on all the Amazon internal tools and that early success was seen by upper-upper management. Using that same tool my coworkers on team B gave me praise and I was given an award at an all hands meeting in front of lots of senior people. Luckily this project launched right before my son was born, and per Amazon's policy on paternity leave and not having accrued enough PTO to even take 2 weeks off I felt trapped. Luckily both managers were chill and I just told manager B I'd be working from home while wrapping up that project. I was basically on call for those two weeks and dealt with little things that came up post launch here and there but it was fine and nothing that really took time away from helping my wife with baby. In retrospect I really needed a month off since we were alone up here and had no help from friends or family.

After that project was over I was supposed to go back to team A, but manager B didn't want to lose me so they had this internal tug of war where hey kept delaying me from returning by saying I need to wrap up more stuff from the original project and my original manager from team A wouldn't really say poo poo about when I would come back. I got stuck writing automation tests and didn't really have any new projects assigned since I was going to leave at any moment. I was in limbo for like two months and I felt a lot of anxiety not knowing what was happening but on the plus side it was a nice break since I was being paid a poo poo load to write simple tests and under no deadlines or expectations to perform.

Eventually both managers asked me if I had a preference for staying on one team or another and I told them I'd rather stay on team B. From what I'd seen of team A it had way to many programming divas and the work they were doing just wasn't as interesting to me. Also I had already worked with Team B for 6 months and the guys liked me so it seemed like a better fit.

Anyways that's my story so far, looking back I can't really complain (except for the lack of toilets, that shits inexcusable and pisses me off everyday, the worst was whenI had to go down 7 floors). I like Seattle and I feel that my family is doing great here, but my wife has noticed that I'm drinking a lot more now. I'm still convinced it's a fun new hobby trying all these exotic micro brews! this is Stockholm syndrome right? send help

So you're trapped working there to effectively pay off a debt, didn't get any real time off when you had a baby, and have started drinking more? And that is with a good boss and successful start?

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
if you "need to stay" and are already thinking about how soon you can quit in your first year, congrats, you have a poo poo job.

there are plenty of companies that will pay you as much as Amazon but will also let you take a poo poo on the job (as required by law) and time off to take care of your baby (as required by human decency). but I'm sure bezos only hits you because he cares about you.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

iirc because the average amazon employee leaves at about a year you're supposed to just throw the entire signing bonus into a savings account and forget it

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Janitor Prime posted:

thank you for this post, i will live vicariously through you as this is my plan

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
walking up hilly seattle and drinking french 75s

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

pram posted:

imagine sitting on the same toilet hundreds of others did that very same day. the amazon employee experience

free heated seats, the free market is generous and provides

*fart*

neutral milf hotel
Oct 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Janitor Prime posted:

congrats on being a tool and supporting an overall toxic workplace cuz you had a "positive" experience: no time off, no paternity leave, no toilets, drinking issues lol

neutral milf hotel
Oct 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
"hey, my time at amazon wasn't that bad"

*lists reasons why anyone wouldn't want to work there*

"oh, and the lack of proper bathrooms, oh that's just the amazon way"

*chuckles lightly into microbrew beer*

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
drink beers while you work, piss in the bottles and then put them in the fridge

pram
Jun 10, 2001
that ol scottish work ethic

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

The Management posted:

so the NY Times has a piece on how the white collar side of Amazon is run. http://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/16/technology/inside-amazon-wrestling-big-ideas-in-a-bruising-workplace.html

highlights include:
Amazon gives no (none, zero) paternity leave.
Attacking others in meetings is expected
There is a feedback system where people are encouraged to snitch on their colleagues. if you take sick time, expect to get negative feedback.
woman that had a miscarriage forced to work the next day
woman taking care of dad with cancer put on notice for lack of performance
if you're not on call always you are accused of not caring about your job
taking vacations is discouraged and you are expected to work during
Amazon is cheap as gently caress and spends nothing on employees
those that won't leave admit to hating it but being addicted to it
Jeff bozos has convinced all of these nerds that this is a good thing and what it takes to be successful, and they take this abuse.

surprisingly, they have a huge retention problem.

bonus, I learned about the term Amholes for former Amazon employees that bring their toxic culture with them.

"This isn't going to affect my Sunday delivery is it?"

"Have they tried not having a miscarriage?"

"I will suck Jeff's dick and be happy about it"

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

Valeyard posted:

drink beers while you work, piss in the bottles and then put them in the fridge

the last place i worked had to ban alcohol onsite when a programmer got too drunk one breakfast and threw his chair out a window
this wasnt a startup or anything, this was a very large european company that produced very important things

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
wait wait wait, an upfront bonus that you have to pay back if you leave before two years? i don't think that's a bonus.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

reminder bezos is a libertarian and the wa state supreme court has found the legislature in contempt for failing to fund schools
http://old.seattletimes.com/html/politicsnorthwest/2012948586_ballmer_and_bezos_opposing_inc.html

ballman no!

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

PleasureKevin posted:

buy butt wipes from the local drug store. experience a new kind of clean and also they aren't as big to carry home or whatever.

what and have a person see me buying them in the store?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
isn't the trick there to get fired?

• Locked thread