Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pram
Jun 10, 2001
a giant, zero margins retail company is lovely to work for :aaa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pram
Jun 10, 2001

ADINSX posted:

My favorite part was the one guy who was like "treating employees like garbage is the only way we could have accomplished what we have".

I mean sure Amazon is successful but gee I wonder if anyone can name OTHER successful technology companies that started around the same time as Amazon that DON'T treat their employees like crap.

amazon is not a technology company. see thats where you're all confused. theyre not google, theyre walmart

pram
Jun 10, 2001
haha, yeah. lol. a company that is solely concerned with the logistics of moving cheap garbage from china around the country. definitely not like walmart. rofl

pram
Jun 10, 2001

quote:

“Some big companies develop ardent fan bases, are widely loved by their customers, and are even perceived as cool,” he wrote.

Examples of companies that category, in Bezos’ assessment, were Apple, Nike, Disney, Google, Whole Foods and UPS.

Examples of companies not well-liked by their customers, as Bezos viewed it, included Walmart, Microsoft, Goldman Sachs and ExxonMobil.

He went on to list a series of attributes that led to companies being loved, concluding that it was important to be polite, reliable, risk-taking and customer-obsessed, but also to be perceived as inventive — an “explorer not a conquerer,” as Stone summarized it.

Bezos wrote, “I actually believe the four ‘unloved’ companies are inventive as a matter of substance. But they are not perceived as inventors and pioneers. It is not enough to be inventive — that pioneering spirit must also come across and be perceivable by the customer base.”

its almost like bezos has intentionally cultivated the perception that amazon is a cool innovator .. and a bunch of rubes bought it

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Visual GNUdio posted:

AWS is a runaway success that posted $4.6B last year, and it's growing quickly and making actual profits. You're right, Amazon is still very much a logistics company, but AWS is going bonkers and they are absolutely crushing the competition in the IaaS space. They do have other areas of business outside of retail that make an impact on their bottom line.

yes you are right. not only do they sell cheap stuff from china, they also are a hosting company. and easily dominate over giants like rackspace, softlayer, hostgator, and the missouri colo that the something awful forums are sitting in

pram
Jun 10, 2001
so they dont actually break out aws revenue, its just lumped in the 'other' category. but that whole group is around 6% total

the other 94% of their revenue is from suspiciously walmart like activities

pram
Jun 10, 2001
customer : how is babby formed

pram
Jun 10, 2001
because hes immobile from being too fat

pram
Jun 10, 2001
chicago is unrelentingly terrible

pram
Jun 10, 2001
jeff benzos, prolific drug forum poster, dies of overdose

pram
Jun 10, 2001

BONGHITZ posted:

why are people underlining things now, stop it

agreed

pram
Jun 10, 2001

:pram:

pram
Jun 10, 2001
not even a disclosure lol

pram
Jun 10, 2001
heft bloatzos

pram
Jun 10, 2001
imagine sitting on the same toilet hundreds of others did that very same day. the amazon employee experience

pram
Jun 10, 2001
that ol scottish work ethic

pram
Jun 10, 2001
they will probably just start a collection and ruin your credit

pram
Jun 10, 2001
what if i just dont pay it :smug: i bet this giant retail corporation never thought about ways to collect debts :smuggo:

pram
Jun 10, 2001

slush posted:

that would really suck for them, especially if i just ran back to canada, seeing as my credit in america wouldn't matter very much then.

:downsbravo:

pram
Jun 10, 2001
id like to see them collect.... when im DEAD :skeltal:

pram
Jun 10, 2001
yeah but in mexico $25,000 is a deece six figges (peso)

pram
Jun 10, 2001

lol

pram
Jun 10, 2001
the amazon interview is a waste of time. i did it for aws solutions architect and it was like, 8 hours. and then they offered me a job 3 months later when i already accepted something else gg :bravo:

pram
Jun 10, 2001
same with rackspace. wtf is with companies and all day interviews

pram
Jun 10, 2001
no but lol at the hubris

pram
Jun 10, 2001
lol like any of these companies are worth breaking out the top shelf pepes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pram