Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
my wife was interviewed and photographed for this piece but didn't have anything bad to say so they didn't include it haha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

pram posted:

amazon is not a technology company. see thats where you're all confused. theyre not google, theyre walmart

lol if you think dis

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
reminder bezos is a libertarian and the wa state supreme court has found the legislature in contempt for failing to fund schools

quote:

Ballmer and Bezos opposing income tax initiative I-1098
Posted by Andrew Garber
Two of the state's richest men, Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer and Amazon.com founder and CEO Jeff Bezos, have each contributed $100,000 to the Defeat I-1098 campaign.

Initiative 1098 would create a 5 percent tax rate on annual income exceeding $200,000 for individuals and $400,000 for couples, and a 9 percent tax rate on income that tops $500,000 for individuals and $1 million for couples. It also would cut state property taxes by 20 percent and newly exempt 118,000 businesses from the state business and occupation tax.
http://old.seattletimes.com/html/politicsnorthwest/2012948586_ballmer_and_bezos_opposing_inc.html

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
companies should publish the average tenure of employees when they quit. amazon is growing fast so that number is pretty misleading

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Gazpacho posted:

To the extent that they "don't do those things anymore" I expect its because newer teams are run somewhat competently, whereas the oldest groups, with non user facing code that originally ran on hpux, have been condemned to an eternal sysiphean nightmare

well, fc systems was the page-you-very-two-hours constant rewrite joke when i was looking to join in '05 and a few years afterwards. now it's been turned around. i hear good things about aws and the kessel project too. kindle is legacy now and digital a little messed up. retail probably sucks too. so, hit or miss

really what the article and all the discussion don't mention is it all comes down to your manager. if they suck you will be miserable because they won't

- fend off incoming poo poo from other teams
- maintain focus for your team to minimize priority and feature churn
- listen to you when you say you need to pay off tech debt or adjust dates or whatever

and most importantly

- rep you well during review time

having a pushover manager means you'll never get good reviews. if they don't put in a good promo doc for you, likewise you will never be promoted. finding a good manager is the number one success differentiator at amazon and it's basically out of your hands lol. afaik there's basically no training for managers to improve either. some dev wants to climb the pole and switches roles and then good luck.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
great timing guy

quote:

Good morning fuzzy! recruiter foo here with Amazon Recruiting. It’s great to eMeet you and I hope this email finds you well!

I’ve recently joined the team and am leading recruitment efforts for a new “special projects” group based here in Seattle. The team is working on next generation consumer devices/platforms, focused in areas like augmented reality, computer vision, machine learning, etc. The organization is led by Babak Parviz.

I’m currently seeking audio/visual/streaming content Software talent to join the team. I’m curious to know if you are in the market and considering new opportunities. If so, I’d love to hop on a 15-20 minute call to learn more about your background. Drop me a line and let me know if you’d like to learn more.

I hope you have a great week!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
she didn't like the 'authorized to say something by the company' rider on every quote i think.

these are showing up around town now

• Locked thread