Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
yes yesssssssss thank you op

pram posted:

amazon is not a technology company. see thats where you're all confused. theyre not google, theyre walmart
walmart is a technology company fool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
actually "technology" as this narrow thing that involves moving elecrons around is a fake idea

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
http://amazork.com/

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

pointsofdata posted:

Almost all the people in that article are wealthy and could get another well paying job if they wanted, so this isn't even the worst thing about Amazon. I hope they do a part two about the warehouse employees.
there's already been a bunch of reports about that

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

RBC posted:

honestly these people deserve to be treated like poo poo, as do most white collar workers
you'd have a point if amazons management were merely harsh, but it is also tremendously counterproductive

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
That isn't true, there are devs who stay for years. I remember one in particular who had his name on one small but useful piece of tech but otoh I hated him because he was always a few cubes over from me loudly shootin the poo poo with bros or playing with a toy helicopter or watching sports videos while I was frantically fighting fires. On the table in front of me are the very same noise canceling headphones I went out and bought on company time so I wouldn't hear him goofing around

Gazpacho fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Aug 16, 2015

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
Some months after I quit (having been "managed out" as the article puts it) I got the most plaintive voice mail from my ex manager asking if I might consider coming back. Other people might get satisfaction from that, I just got relief

Gazpacho fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Aug 16, 2015

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

linoleum floors posted:

Sounds like you were too dumb to snitch on him for being cool
i never interacted with him closely enough to know much about him but he may have been considered indispensable as a result of having deep knowledge of the part of the code that tracked item locations in the warehouses

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

some senior engineering manager posted:

The desks are a tradition from the old Amazon “door desks” and, looking at how nice they are compared to the sterile, hospital white, pressed-wood cubicle desks at other companies, they probably cost a lot more to make.
These desks are
- a two-inch solid wood top with sealed laminate on the top and sides
- four dry unpressed 4x4 legs, edges rounded, usually with visible splits
- four joining brackets and four triangular supports, all 1/16 in steel.
- several large wood screws

they're cheap as gently caress, and they're assembled by the managers in team building exercises

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
just ex amazon things: reflexively typing "apollo" into new browser tabs (its been 4 years)

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
http://qz.com/482080/dear-jeff-bezos-i-wish-you-had-asked-for-my-feedback-sooner/

from the wife of the dude who apparently came up with the idea of not dumping untested code (i.e. all of it) into the warehouses from octobber to january

quote:

Eventually, my husband’s team was whittled down to himself, his manager and just one other developer. This meant he was expected to be on-call every three weeks. “Our” all-time record was 64 different pages, mostly answered outside of business hours. As his one-woman pit crew, it was my responsibility to wake up with him when he was paged in the middle of the night, to pull over somewhere on the highway to find him WiFi if he was paged on the road, and to make sure that our lives never involved traveling anywhere more than 15 minutes from an internet connection.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

RBC posted:

sounds like a good deal for a decent six figs
have i got good news for you! there's an opening in my old team

("fault-tolerant" lmao)

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

companies should publish the average tenure of employees when they quit. amazon is growing fast so that number is pretty misleading
To the extent that they "don't do those things anymore" I expect its because newer teams are run somewhat competently, whereas the oldest groups, with non user facing code that originally ran on hpux, have been condemned to an eternal sysiphean nightmare

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
The sf fed interviewed me for a day then took a month to decide whether to go another round (they didn't)

• Locked thread