Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

blowfish posted:

the ancient Greek poets' wine dark sea was not described as blue most likely because the colour blue had yet to be invented as a distinct colour from that of crappy wine (there nobody talks about things being a beautiful shade of blue in ancient Greek poetry).

With regards to this specific example, it is just as likely, as first postulated by Gladstone, that Homer was in fact colour-blind - this is a view that has been taken up in some of the more modern scholarship of his work. Although it is true that blue in particular seems to be very malleable between cultures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

blowfish posted:

Now for another great example of how human senses are imperfect and how the search for ultimate truth is a fool's errand: Colour perception and language see here for a layman's example. Not all cultures differentiate colours equally - for example, until very recently, the Chinese and especially the Japanese (until post-WW2 western style education in this case) did not have a distinction between blue and green - both were called "fresh-coloured", and the ancient Greek poets' wine dark sea was not described as blue most likely because the colour blue had yet to be invented as a distinct colour from that of crappy wine (there nobody talks about things being a beautiful shade of blue in ancient Greek poetry). As you go through different cultures, there is 1) a broad trend for a matching set of colour categories given a particular number of different colour words in the language (it makes sense to start with dark/light, and go on to blood red, and for some reason blue and green are almost always separated late), but 2) many interesting exceptions to that, such as the tribe in the example I linked. You would be hard-pressed to pick out different shades of green that are considered entirely different colours by these people, who are probably weirded out by us lumping grass green and beech tree leaf green together as being basically the same. As evidenced by the Japanese postwar education reform thing, these differences in colour perception are purely cultural - we learn to adjust our idea of the world to that of everyone around us, and that is often useful, rather than towards to the world's ~true~ colours. RBG code 1,1,230 is not meaningfully different from 1,2,229 to us, but if it is the difference between a staple crop and a poisonous plant you better learn to distinguish that poo poo in the blink of an eye and experience it as different colours.

"Is your green the same green as my green? Because it is and therefore magic!", says effectronica - "Probably no, because I don't know what 'green' is supposed to be, but I really don't need to care."

I don't believe that this sort of linguistic analysis actually concludes that no difference existed between what we call forest green and what we call navy blue, visually, but that they were all considered one category of color. It's basically the Sapir-Whorf hypothesis renascent.

quote:

Your entire argument assumes that people are automagically right about things. When shown evidence that people are not, in fact, automagically right but need to learn from others who know more than they do, you pretend it's irrelevant. :frogout:

"automagically" is certainly an annoying word, I'll give you that. Apart from that, this is ridiculous because it just puts things onto another person, boiling down to some Prime Mover. Lmao. Strong atheism there.

quote:

Unless the mere existence of your hypothetical volcano cricket is physically impossible, any definition of supernatural that includes it boils down to "things that are improbable but in principle possible", and loses all meaning.

Okay, so since materials can survive the heat of an active volcano's lava, animals that can do so are unremarkable. Mhm.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

blowfish posted:

This reminds me, I just fed a pet gecko and accidentally stepped on one of the crickets I wanted to dump in its terrarium. Maybe we could discuss the armchair-philosophical implications of this event.
You are clumsy and probably also fat.

Philosophically speaking.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Wow, not even responding to me. Okay then.

You know, you started this thread as a troll attempt, but the longer it goes on, the more it seems like you're losing control. You're certainly not coming off as a puppet-master here. Out of everyone posting, the one acting the most emotional has been yourself. Really, it just seems sad, I feel sorry for you.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

HappyHippo posted:

Drop the persecution complex already. I'm asking a pointed question and you've done nothing but respond with snark and bad attempts at dodging around it. I've laid out how this is essential to your argument, and you agree it's relevant, so answer already.

Now, now, empathise with Effectronica's situation. It's hard to be so completely and utterly wrong about everything, and so completely and utterly hated for being the biggest possible idiot in any situation. Developing a persecution complex is not entirely improbable under those circumstances :v:

Effectronica posted:

Apart from that, this is ridiculous because it just puts things onto another person, boiling down to some Prime Mover. Lmao. Strong atheism there.
You can't idiot proof an argument, because Effectronica always manages to be a bigger idiot.

The prime mover does not need to be in any way supernatural, magical, superhuman, or what-have-you. If a human (or other thinking organism) at some point perceived that constrictor snakes constrict and that venomous snakes inject venom and talked/wrote about it, that's enough. e: any argument that humans will inherently arrive at the same conclusions without actually observing snakes directly or through communication with others or inference offers no explanatory value and needs strong empirical support to be worth taking seriously

quote:

Okay, so since materials can survive the heat of an active volcano's lava, animals that can do so are unremarkable. Mhm.
Way to miss the point :thumbsup:
As a biologist, I would think that any animal that can survive volcano heat is really loving cool and needs to be studied further, but that would not qualify it for any reasonable definition of "supernatural". Protip: defining "supernatural" as "unexpected" or "remarkable" results in a dumb and useless term.

rudatron posted:

You know, you started this thread as a troll attempt, but the longer it goes on, the more it seems like you're losing control. You're certainly not coming off as a puppet-master here. Out of everyone posting, the one acting the most emotional has been yourself. Really, it just seems sad, I feel sorry for you.

I have bad news for you - the OP might actually be insane :v:

suck my woke dick fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Aug 17, 2015

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Effectronica posted:

I don't believe that this sort of linguistic analysis actually concludes that no difference existed between what we call forest green and what we call navy blue, visually, but that they were all considered one category of color. It's basically the Sapir-Whorf hypothesis renascent.

The fact that we can't reliably distinguish colours clearly different to others who have the same eye and brain physiology and vice versa certainly suggest that colour perception is calibrated to an arbitrary standard (within physiological limits) rather than approaching a universal ideal.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

rudatron posted:

The 'necessary' part of your quote of me was in reference to 'necessarily true' (as opposed to it being likely to be true). The point was that some thought-forms/intelligences (like inductive reasoning) have a tendency to result in true beliefs, which means the probability of having many true beliefs isn't that extreme - if you have some, then it's much simpler to have many. This is because, again, beliefs aren't selected for, intelligences are. This means that your false-but-adaptive reasoning also falls apart - A false argument form is more likely to false beliefs than true beliefs, and false beliefs are more likely to be maladaptive than true beliefs.

I don't 'think you're really acknowledging anything anyone has said to you. Is this entertaining to you? If not, how are you trolling?

It's cool how nobody will ever ask you to define something like "thought-form" or clarify what you mean by "intelligences", because you're obviously not using the standard, colloquial definition of that word. So instead, I will ask you to show how "intelligences" are phenotypically expressed so that natural selection may act upon them.

rudatron posted:

Well, rudatron, live your life as a vampire's victim, bloodless and undead.

blowfish posted:

Now, now, empathise with Effectronica's situation. It's hard to be so completely and utterly wrong about everything, and so completely and utterly hated for being the biggest possible idiot in any situation. Developing a persecution complex is not entirely improbable under those circumstances :v:

You can't idiot proof an argument, because Effectronica always manages to be a bigger idiot.

The prime mover does not need to be in any way supernatural, magical, superhuman, or what-have-you. If a human (or other thinking organism) at some point perceived that constrictor snakes constrict and that venomous snakes inject venom and talked/wrote about it, that's enough. e: any argument that humans will inherently arrive at the same conclusions without actually observing snakes directly or through communication with others or inference offers no explanatory value and needs strong empirical support to be worth taking seriously

Well, blowfish, I think you've missed the point by quite a long way, in your eagerness to castigate. You've just displaced the real argument for some insane reason, and then made a hilarious argument that I will internally rewrite to make some more sense. So with that in mind, the argument is that there is a distinction between belief and behavior, and beliefs that are false but promote safe behaviors nevertheless don't exist. There is hardly a sign of their existence, save through extended academic reasoning, and in terms of everyday belief, they have been so quashed as to be invisible. Which is somewhat remarkable, this ability to see truth outing.

quote:

Way to miss the point :thumbsup:
As a biologist, I would think that any animal that can survive volcano heat is really loving cool and needs to be studied further, but that would not qualify it for any reasonable definition of "supernatural". Protip: defining "supernatural" as "unexpected" or "remarkable" results in a dumb and useless term.

Well, I feel for the biology journals in your country of residence, knowing that they have to deal with you. The issue, here, is that animals are, by all that we know, physically unable to survive in such an environment, lacking the means extremophile microbes use. So such an animal would need to have something that is not known to exist within the natural world, nor is there any reason to believe that it exists currently. It is outside nature, though the discovery of such an animal would quickly bring it within the bounds of nature.

Effectronica fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Aug 17, 2015

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

blowfish posted:

The fact that we can't reliably distinguish colours clearly different to others who have the same eye and brain physiology and vice versa certainly suggest that colour perception is calibrated to an arbitrary standard (within physiological limits) rather than approaching a universal ideal.

Except that people are able to learn how to distinguish these colors from one another. Kant's noumenal world is not knowable by physical experience.

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009

Effectronica posted:

Well, I don't actually think that everyone would agree that magic is not supernatural, even within the field of philosophy.

Well, sure. If all philosophers agreed on everything, there wouldn't be so much of it.

Buried alive posted:

And those types of corrections are easily made without reference to the immaterial, so I'm not sure why you're invoking the possibility of the immaterial for other types of corrections that we are able to make. Whether something is supernatural or not (going by the rest of philosophy anyway) is an ontological question, not an epistemic one. If it's material and exists, it is natural. If it is immaterial and exists, it is supernatural. Even if this new species of cricket was magical, as long as those magical properties are grounded in materialistic ones it's still natural.

You never answered the bolded part. Also..

Effectronica posted:

Except that people are able to learn how to distinguish these colors from one another. Kant's noumenal world is not knowable by physical experience.

Are you going to draw a distinction between a belief which is true and one which counts as knowledge? Because if not I do believe you just talked yourself into a contradiction.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Effectronica posted:

Well, blowfish, I think you've missed the point by quite a long way, in your eager to castigate. You've just displaced the real argument for some insane reason, and then made a hilarious argument that I will internally rewrite to make some more sense. So with that in mind, the argument is that there is a distinction between belief and behavior, and beliefs that are false but promote safe behaviors nevertheless don't exist. There is hardly a sign of their existence, save through extended academic reasoning, and in terms of everyday belief, they have been so quashed as to be invisible. Which is somewhat remarkable, this ability to see truth outing.
It is absolutely unremarkable once you realise that true (or more approximately true) mental models/sets of beliefs are more likely to produce useful predictions and therefore are also more likely to produce useful behaviours (which boils down to the same thing as adaptive), as evidenced by literally every single time humans have tried to understand something and stumbled into more useful models which almost invariably are more true or similarly true rather than less true compared to the previous understanding. It becomes even more remarkable when you, personally, realise you know little about most things compared to other very much non-supernatural humans and don't actually have true knowledge about many things. Baby's first coherent line of thought is not `~*~supernatural~*~.

quote:

Well, I feel for the biology journals in your country of residence, knowing that they have to deal with you. The issue, here, is that animals are, by all that we know, physically unable to survive in such an environment, lacking the means extremophile microbes use. So such an animal would need to have something that is not known to exist within the natural world, nor is there any reason to believe that it exists currently. It is outside nature, though the discovery of such an animal would quickly bring it within the bounds of nature.

Extremophiles exist. Centralised multi-celled heterotrophs exist. There is no reason why the two categories should be mutually exclusive. Even though we do not currently know of any extremophile centralised multi-celled heterotroph, any such organism that exists would only be outside the parts of nature we have already discovered and not outside the parts of nature. If none actually exists right now, it is still possible for it to evolve given how nature ~nature~ works, and thus it would still not be supernatural unless you uselessly define literally everything that could potentially exist but doesn't yet/anymore as supernatural.

suck my woke dick fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Aug 17, 2015

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Effectronica posted:

Kant's noumenal world is not knowable by physical experience.

Then it is a world we need not concern ourselves with at all (as I said before), because by its very definition we are blindly guessing.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Buried alive posted:

Well, sure. If all philosophers agreed on everything, there wouldn't be so much of it.

You never answered the bolded part. Also..

Are you going to draw a distinction between a belief which is true and one which counts as knowledge? Because if not I do believe you just talked yourself into a contradiction.

Well, for one thing, I am not using the definition you are using.

Sure, for our purposes here, not for all time. A true belief is one that is consistent with observable reality, while a known belief is one that the believer is consciously aware of. For example, I may believe that spiders are dangerous without being consciously aware of this, only experiencing unease around them. Within this context, beliefs about noumenal reality cannot be considered to be true or false, since they cannot be verified. My belief that the phenomenal world is very similar to the noumenal world is an axiomatic statement.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Effectronica posted:

Well, rudatron, live your life as a vampire's victim, bloodless and undead.

You scare the poo poo out of me sometimes.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Effectronica posted:

Sure, for our purposes here, not for all time. A true belief is one that is consistent with observable reality, while a known belief is one that the believer is consciously aware of. For example, I may believe that spiders are dangerous without being consciously aware of this, only experiencing unease around them. Within this context, beliefs about noumenal reality cannot be considered to be true or false, since they cannot be verified.
If, when pressed, you do not know whether you believe spiders are dangerous it is hard to argue you actually have a belief on whether spiders are dangerous. A better explanation would be that you are wary of spiders through instinct and thus without any belief.

e: an alternative, and more interesting, explanation would be that through observing others' wariness about spiders you have started to act wary around them yourself - however, while you may have never been explicitly told that spiders are dangerous, at this point you most likely have an actual if weak belief that they are because most things people are wary around are dangerous.

quote:

My belief that the phenomenal world is very similar to the noumenal world is an axiomatic statement.
Have you considered that your axiom may be false?

suck my woke dick fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Aug 17, 2015

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

rudatron posted:

He's ignoring me now too. It's easier to be sanctimonious than answer the difficult questions that point to weaknesses in your argument I guess.

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Okay I think we should clarify a few things here, I'll try to keep it super brief but for context I want to go into a little bit of history that is hopefully kinda interesting to people:

Aristotelian Baggage Weighs Down Philosophy

During the Medieval era and up to the 1500s, academic thought was dominated by an Aristotelian model of the universe, which was locked up with a lot of archaic nonsense: geocentrism, the four-element model of matter, etc. Problem was that Western thought had essentially become fossilized by Aristotelian dogma, and there wasn't that much room for innovation. A lot of it was because the philosophers of the era (much like the classical Greeks and modern Libertarians) put far too much stock in a priori reasoning (from pure function of thought rather than observation or experimentation). Rational thought is important of course, but the products of such logic are only as good as the premises you base them on.

That is, until Galileo Galilei came along and started stirring poo poo up. An infamously cheeky bastard, Galileo was apparently kinda resentful of the Aristotelian philosophers who were 1) obviously full of poo poo in his eyes, and 2) paid WAY more than a lowly mathematician like him. His approach was to put much more stock in empirical, a posteriori reasoning. Many of his theories and experiments (or "antics" as the many would've called them) were snubbed by the philosophers of his time, and the fact that he loved to snark his academic rivals didn't help in this regard. For example, when Galileo discovered the "Medician stars," or the moons around the larger planets, many philosophers refused to view them through his telescopes for fear that it was some crazy trickery or witchcraft. When one of these rivals died, Galileo famously quipped that "Well now he can see the Medician stars on his way to heaven since he refused to see them from Earth."

Of course, this sass of his eventually got him in trouble with the Catholic Church.

The Modernist Revolution & Ensuing Confusion

You guys might remember Rene Descartes, the father of Modernist Philosophy. Now Descartes was already a burgeoning academic and was working on a big treatise about physics and whatnot, until he realized "Oh poo poo my work is dangerously similar to the stuff that got that Galileo dude in trouble with the Church," and immediately ran to the printers to stop them from producing his book. So his seminal work, Meditations on the First Philosophy, was a way to kiss some Catholic rear end and reconcile his work with the Faith.

The actual thesis of Descartes' Meditations isn't actually all that important here. What was much more significant was his methodology: remember that up until this point academics was still carrying a lot of the baggage from the Aristotelian paradigm. Well, Descartes was trying to clear poo poo like that outta academia, and exerted a very severe form of reductionism: systematically tossing out all of his assumptions about how reality worked and building a new model of philosophy and science from the bottom-up using elementary, unquestionable facts and observations. You'll note that Descartes systematically questions everything that he knows and tries to get to the core of human knowledge. This core turns out to be God in his view, so this was his way of saying "Hey Church dudes I'm a totally good Catholic man, plz don't hurt me when I wanna science." So not only was discarding Aristotelianism the logical thing to do, it was perfectly Godly.

This sparked off a revolution in philosophy, and this era of academic thought known as "Modernism" would be typified by Descartes' systematic, almost severe, reductionism to dig down and find the foundations of human knowledge. If you can't prove X, chuck that idea in the bin. You're looking for something unassailable, drat it!

Problem was that philosphers who likewise wanted to dig down to the foundations human reason found themselves having to discard some concepts that are pretty fundamental to its operation. Berkeley for example wanted to cut the concept of matter out of the equation (since any attempt to prove matter empirically was circular). And we all know Hume's Problem of Induction, where he ended up having to just shrug his shoulders and say "gently caress it, let's just stick to using it out of Custom."

Kantian Idealism

This is where Kant comes in to try to fix things. His work is extremely abstract and difficult to understand (largely due to the massive run-ons in Germanic prose), but I'll try to do my best.

Unlike other philosophers of the time, Kant wasn't all that interested in establishing a foundation for human reason. Instead, he was more interested in determining how it worked, and his whole shtick was "Look, you can't 'prove' that matter exists. You can't 'prove' that your inductive inferences through time are correct. However, you have to recognize that everything we call 'knowledge' about the world is acquired by interpreting it through things like matter and time. These aren't things you prove. That's just how human knowledge works. Deal with it."

Objects and events only make sense to the human mind when organized through the "intuitions" of things like space and time. For Kant, things like matter and induction aren't things to be proved. They are integral functions of the human mind that allows proof to operate in the first place.

Thus, for Kant there are two kinds of reality: There's of course Phenomenal Reality, reality as percieved, concieved, and understood by the human mind. Then there's Noumenal Reality, or the reality of "things-in-themselves," the elementary reality unorganized by human sensation or conception. The latter was only ever hypothetical and unknowable, because to "know" something requires we interpret it through the filter of human cognition. In a way it's like looking at an apple and seeing an apple rather than "a disorganized collection of red photons." The apple would be akin to the Phenomena, the "disorganized collection of red photons" would be akin to the Noumena. Not exactly, mind you, but that's the best analogy I can pull out of my rear end right now.

Now this revolutionized philosophy and closed the chapter on what Kant saw as the pointless dickery of the Modernist era. However, this was a HUGE problem for theologians at the time since the entire point of theology was to get to the "real ultimate truth of God." Kant basically showed that human knowledge could only ever work within the Phenomenal realm. The Noumenal realm was ultimately untouchable, and hence probably quite pointless to pursue.

tl;dr version:

1) Archaic ideas suck.
2) Reductionism/skepticism gets rid of archaic ideas.
3) Reductionism/skepticism among the Modernists takes things a little too far and poo poo gets kinda nonsensical. Gotta reject matter and induction.
4) Kant scales it back a bit. He makes room for matter and induction, and proposes a new theory of human knowledge.
5) Kant's theory ends up dividing reality into two realms, the noumenal and phenomenal. The latter is accessible, the former is not.
6) Theologians lose their poo poo over this and try to fix it.

So this is where we are now. Plantinga & Effectronica's whole shtick is to establish a "bridge" between Phenomenal Reality (reality-as-humans-know) and Noumenal Reality (reality-as-it-absolutely-is). This is what the central point is, beneath the fluff and garnish of evolution talk. Me, I think such a bridge is not only unnecessary, it's impossible, so proofs like Plantinga/Effectronica's ultimately fail on a core level.

ShadowCatboy fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Aug 17, 2015

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

blowfish posted:

It is absolutely unremarkable once you realise that true (or more approximately true) mental models/sets of beliefs are more likely to produce useful predictions and therefore are also more likely to produce useful behaviours (which boils down to the same thing as adaptive), as evidenced by literally every single time humans have tried to understand something and stumbled into more useful models which almost invariably are more true or similarly true rather than less true compared to the previous understanding. It becomes even more remarkable when you, personally, realise you know little about most things compared to other very much non-supernatural humans and don't actually have true knowledge about many things. Baby's first coherent line of thought is not `~*~supernatural~*~.

Are they, universally? How does knowledge that sperm are not homunculi produce more adaptive sexual behavior?

quote:

Extremophiles exist. Centralised multi-celled heterotrophs exist. There is no reason why the two categories should be mutually exclusive. Even though we do not currently know of any extremophile centralised multi-celled heterotroph, any such organism that exists would only be outside the parts of nature we have already discovered and not outside the parts of nature. If none actually exists right now, it is still possible for it to evolve given how nature ~nature~ works, and thus it would still not be supernatural unless you uselessly define literally everything that could potentially exist but doesn't yet/anymore as supernatural.

I am using extremophiles, specifically thermophiles, as an example. So while I am wrong about this, I can still recast it without it actually affecting the argument. So, to continue it, if thermophilic archaea had been discovered before discovery of the enzymes that allow them to survive at high temperatures, they would have been part of the supernatural in my definition, until such a time as the discovery of their enzymes allowed them to become part of the naturalistic world. Another, better example, is plate tectonics, which was proposed in the 1910s but not adopted until the 1960s, because the means by which continental drift could occur were not discovered until that time. While plate tectonics was true, it was also outside the bounds of naturalism because there was no natural mechanism by which it could happen.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

rudatron posted:

I don't 'think you're really acknowledging anything anyone has said to you. Is this entertaining to you? If not, how are you trolling?

By 'trolling' Efftronica just starts a thread or jumps in one, starts raising asinine points and then never answering anyone, instead reverting to name calling and hollier than thou self-praise.

Effectronica posted:

I am using extremophiles, specifically thermophiles, as an example. So while I am wrong about this, I can still recast it without it actually affecting the argument. So, to continue it, if thermophilic archaea had been discovered before discovery of the enzymes that allow them to survive at high temperatures, they would have been part of the supernatural in my definition, until such a time as the discovery of their enzymes allowed them to become part of the naturalistic world. Another, better example, is plate tectonics, which was proposed in the 1910s but not adopted until the 1960s, because the means by which continental drift could occur were not discovered until that time. While plate tectonics was true, it was also outside the bounds of naturalism because there was no natural mechanism by which it could happen.

No natural mechanisms known, that doesn't make them supernatural, just that evidence could not at that time be observed. It does not make it supernatural, just unknown.

Plate tectonics was not above and beyond nature, it was simply undetectable at the time. It was happening all the time in nature.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Aug 17, 2015

Smudgie Buggler
Feb 27, 2005

SET PHASERS TO "GRINDING TEDIUM"

Effectronica posted:

Wow. All the people who got mad because I used binary true/false as a simplification, and here they are ignoring you using it as the centerpiece of an argument that amounts to assertions.

As opposed to all the arguments that don't amount to a string of assertions?

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

blowfish posted:

If, when pressed, you do not know whether you believe spiders are dangerous it is hard to argue you actually have a belief on whether spiders are dangerous. A better explanation would be that you are wary of spiders through instinct and thus without any belief.

e: an alternative, and more interesting, explanation would be that through observing others' wariness about spiders you have started to act wary around them yourself - however, while you may have never been explicitly told that spiders are dangerous, at this point you most likely have an actual if weak belief that they are because most things people are wary around are dangerous.
Have you considered that your axiom may be false?

So in other words, you define beliefs differently than I do, which is fine, but it renders the argument not really a meaningful one because it's just semantics. Or you're arguing that unconscious beliefs do exist but not in this case, which is unlikely to be fruitful.

That explanation is unlikely because infants are predisposed to associate spiders and snakes with fearful voices. http://www.psychologicalscience.org...ng-infancy.html

Sure, I have considered that life is a lie and truth is unknowable, for about ten seconds.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Effectronica posted:

Another, better example, is plate tectonics, which was proposed in the 1910s but not adopted until the 1960s, because the means by which continental drift could occur were not discovered until that time. While plate tectonics was true, it was also outside the bounds of naturalism because there was no natural mechanism by which it could happen.

So, then, are you proposing a means presently thought of as supernatural is influencing the adaptation and evolution of lifeforms, and we only need discover the mechanism for it to become natural?

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

CommieGIR posted:

By 'trolling' Efftronica just starts a thread or jumps in one, starts raising asinine points and then never answering anyone, instead reverting to name calling and hollier than thou self-praise.

No natural mechanisms known, that doesn't make them supernatural, just that evidence could not at that time be observed. It does not make it supernatural, just unknown.

Plate tectonics was not above and beyond nature, it was simply undetectable at the time. It was happening all the time in nature.

Okay, so you object to the definitions, and probably believe in fixed definitions, which were handed down by God Science.

Smudgie Buggler posted:

As opposed to all the arguments that don't amount to a string of assertions?

All you can do is snipe and cheerlead, it seems.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

So, then, are you proposing a means presently thought of as supernatural is influencing the adaptation and evolution of lifeforms, and we only need discover the mechanism for it to become natural?

This is what I think is most likely to be the case, but I am willing to accept that there are alternative explanations.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Effectronica posted:

Okay, so you object to the definitions, and probably believe in fixed definitions, which were handed down by God Science.

Yes. I object you your blatant abuse of Philosophy and your borderline Metaphysics bullshit.

You're a pretty boring troll.

Effectronica posted:

:ironicat:

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

CommieGIR posted:

Yes. I object you your blatant abuse of Philosophy and your borderline Metaphysics bullshit.

You're a pretty boring troll.

Stop capitalizing things like a schizophrenic, you rear end.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Effectronica posted:

Stop capitalizing things like a schizophrenic, you rear end.

Nah, I love cheesing you off.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Effectronica posted:

Are they, universally? How does knowledge that sperm are not homunculi produce more adaptive sexual behavior?
Your statement only makes sense under the assumption that post-enlightenment human knowledge is shaped directly by natural selection. I have repeatedly mentioned that it is implausible for most particular pieces of knowledge to be a direct product of natural selection. Natural selection only made us able and willing to seek knowledge.

In the context of human thought and free will (even if you believe we technically have no free will because determinism it is useful to assume its existence to model human behaviour), natural selection on the organism or gene can become entirely irrelevant and the patterns of thought we have become able to use can run wild. There is even a field called memetic evolution which deals with this issue, and in particular also with how untrue or irrelevant beliefs propagate across many human minds.

quote:

You will recall that I brought up the very plate tectonics example to illustrate that your definition of the supernatural as anything not currently described by a theory is useless and asinine. Thanks for proving me right, I guess :thumbsup:.

Effectronica posted:

So in other words, you define beliefs differently than I do, which is fine, but it renders the argument not really a meaningful one because it's just semantics. Or you're arguing that unconscious beliefs do exist but not in this case, which is unlikely to be fruitful.
Explain how instinctive fear involves belief - it is a mechanism akin to clockwork, which given a certain input will produce an according output regardless of why you think it should give that output. Defining belief might help.

quote:

That explanation is unlikely because infants are predisposed to associate spiders and snakes with fearful voices. http://www.psychologicalscience.org...ng-infancy.html
Which I have already mentioned re. savannah monkeys (I sure am pointing out things I already said but which you originally ignored a lot). Evidence for instinct, and therefore an uninteresting automatic predisposition/response where any statement about truth is relevant.

quote:

Sure, I have considered that life is a lie and truth is unknowable, for about ten seconds.
You should consider harder.

Effectronica posted:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Let's be honest Blowfish, he ignores any post that he can't just dance around as part of his troll with pseudointellectual bullshit

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Effectronica posted:

This is what I think is most likely to be the case, but I am willing to accept that there are alternative explanations.

So essentially you are saying biologists studying the evolution of behaviour will probably make interesting discoveries. Yay for stating the obvious, I guess.

CommieGIR posted:

Let's be honest Blowfish, he ignores any post that he can't just dance around as part of his troll with pseudointellectual bullshit

Poe's law is in effect here.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

blowfish posted:

Poe's law is in effect here.

If you troll into the abyss, does the abyss troll back?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Disinterested posted:

With regards to this specific example, it is just as likely, as first postulated by Gladstone, that Homer was in fact colour-blind - this is a view that has been taken up in some of the more modern scholarship of his work. Although it is true that blue in particular seems to be very malleable between cultures.

Radiolab had a very interesting (to me at least) segment on this very subject. But if you don't want to listen to it, there is in fact evidence that humans don't actually codify very many differences in color naturally, and that they may need to be taught to us in order to be recognized. And this became much easier to do once we were able to reliable reproduce said color as a pigment or something similar like wine.

Smudgie Buggler
Feb 27, 2005

SET PHASERS TO "GRINDING TEDIUM"

Effectronica posted:

Okay, so your argument is that we don't perceive reality accurately. Very well then. I disagree, but there's not much that can bridge that gap.

It's demonstrably the case that we are, by our own standards of accuracy, extremely bad at mentally modelling reality. I mean, what the gently caress do you think the map - or any other piece of technology assisting the gathering or storage of information - is for?

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

blowfish posted:

Your statement only makes sense under the assumption that post-enlightenment human knowledge is shaped directly by natural selection. I have repeatedly mentioned that it is implausible for most particular pieces of knowledge to be a direct product of natural selection. Natural selection only made us able and willing to seek knowledge.

In the context of human thought and free will (even if you believe we technically have no free will because determinism it is useful to assume its existence to model human behaviour), natural selection on the organism or gene can become entirely irrelevant and the patterns of thought we have become able to use can run wild. There is even a field called memetic evolution which deals with this issue, and in particular also with how untrue or irrelevant beliefs propagate across many human minds.

You will recall that I brought up the very plate tectonics example to illustrate that your definition of the supernatural as anything not currently described by a theory is useless and asinine. Thanks for proving me right, I guess :thumbsup:.
Explain how instinctive fear involves belief - it is a mechanism akin to clockwork, which given a certain input will produce an according output regardless of why you think it should give that output. Defining belief might help.
Which I have already mentioned re. savannah monkeys (I sure am pointing out things I already said but which you originally ignored a lot). Evidence for instinct, and therefore an uninteresting automatic predisposition/response where any statement about truth is relevant.
You should consider harder.

Okay, well, you could go back to my initial post, and, assuming you can read things, you could engage with the proposition that beliefs are not acted upon by natural selection, and we could move from here, if you were inclined to conversation rather than asininity and whatever "you should consider harder" is meant to mean. The rest of this is basically down to assuming inherent definitions, which is, um, well, not really philosophically materialistic in nature.

Smudgie Buggler posted:

It's demonstrably the case that we are, by our own standards of accuracy, extremely bad at mentally modelling reality. I mean, what the gently caress do you think the map - or any other piece of technology assisting the gathering or storage of information - is for?

Actually, people who live in cultures where maps are not used maintain internal maps with high accuracy of the areas with which they are familiar. Tools like the map or writing are ones that allow for easier transmission of knowledge before they allow for higher precision.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003

Effectronica posted:

Okay, well, you could go back to my initial post, and, assuming you can read things, you could engage with the proposition that beliefs are not acted upon by natural selection, and we could move from here, if you were inclined to conversation rather than asininity and whatever "you should consider harder" is meant to mean. The rest of this is basically down to assuming inherent definitions, which is, um, well, not really philosophically materialistic in nature.

I tried to do exactly this and now you're ignoring me.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

HappyHippo posted:

Because you started demanding answers to a yes/no question, and I decided that I was going to treat something that walked like a duck as a duck. Maybe you could quickly rephrase it?

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

HappyHippo posted:

He called me a worm whereas I am obviously a catboy. An atheist catboy who believes there is nyo God. :v:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

ShadowCatboy posted:

He called me a worm whereas I am obviously a catboy. An atheist catboy who believes there is nyo God. :v:

He's already admitted the entire thread is about baiting and trolling.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003

Effectronica posted:

Because you started demanding answers to a yes/no question, and I decided that I was going to treat something that walked like a duck as a duck. Maybe you could quickly rephrase it?

Here:

HappyHippo posted:

"Beliefs" are essentially the world model constructed by the brain. An accurate world model is essential to effective behaviour, so there is selection pressure to produce brains which construct accurate models of the world. Brains get beliefs and act on them through instinct, inference from sensory experiences, and information shared by others. Since the brain is the product of evolution and there is selection pressure to produce brains which construct accurate world models, evolution directly shapes these processes in order to make them more accurate than chance.

You were dancing around the question of whether or not accurate beliefs generally produce more effective behaviour so I asked you to answer it straight up.

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

CommieGIR posted:

He's already admitted the entire thread is about baiting and trolling.

Yeah I saw the post. Regardless, there's definitely something to be said about the category of epistemic arguments for God's existence. Or X-Factor. Or whatever superhero comic he wants to call it.

I would just like to reiterate that the Plantinga-style argument fails on a basic level because naturally evolved cognitive heuristics that hinder sound rational inquiry seem to contradict the basic premise of an entity who would guide human cognitive evolution to help us accurately determine truth. This is the more apparent sticking point to me.

On a more fundamental level I'd say that the need to connect human knowledge to noumenal reality is a wholly manufactured problem. It's like those commercials for a banana slicer and the first thing to ask yourself is why the hell would I need a banana slicer. I've got perfectly good tools elsewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phyzzle
Jan 26, 2008
There was an Interesting debate in the early analytical philosophy days over whether miracles or the supernatural are contradictory concepts.

For those talking about natural mechanisms, what would be an example of a supernatural event, as opposed to a natural but unexplained event?

• Locked thread