Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phyzzle
Jan 26, 2008

Effectronica posted:

So let's drop some of the formality and get to the basic issue. How do our beliefs interact with our behaviors? How does the mind interact with the body? There are four basic options:
  • Beliefs have no influence on behavior.
  • Beliefs cause behavior but not by reason of their semantic content (or in plainer language, their meaning).
  • Beliefs cause behavior but are maladaptive, evolution-wise.
  • Beliefs cause behavior and are evolutionarily adaptive, but not inherently true or false.

I don't know why "Beliefs cause behavior and are evolutionarily adaptive, and are inherently true or false" is not a 5th option. In that case, our beliefs are true about as often as they should be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phyzzle
Jan 26, 2008

Effectronica posted:

That's the point of the argument- there's no known natural mechanism to determine truthfulness of beliefs, and, besides, it's also fairly unlikely because our beliefs are not all true.

Which part, of the three, is fairly unlikely? If our beliefs are not all true, they can still cause behavior, they can still be evolutionarily adaptive, and they can still be inherently true or false.

The same goes for the lack of a natural mechanism to determine truthfulness. There may be no 'natural' mechanism to determine truthfulness, yet our beliefs can still cause behavior, they can still be evolutionarily adaptive, and they can still be inherently true or false.

Phyzzle
Jan 26, 2008

Effectronica posted:

I mean that if we have a natural-yet-unobserved mechanism that enforces truthful beliefs, it is odd that it should only operate on some beliefs and not others, at least not without creating a further, unobserved hierarchy of beliefs.

Not odd at all. Mechanisms, natural or observed or otherwise, generally do not operate equally well in every instance.

Effectronica posted:

In any case, your suggestion implies telepathy in any case, because we can, given sufficient power, observe the thoughts of other people through closely examining the minds of people that know them. After all, if we can determine whether the belief "My wife loves me" is true solely through locating the truth factor on the belief structure or whatever, it is possible, then, to transfer thoughts between minds, though probably not FTL at least.

No, no telepathy is needed. The thoughts of other people are not needed. No 'natural' mechanism to determine truthfulness is needed. Our beliefs can still cause behavior, they can still be evolutionarily adaptive, and they can still be inherently true or false - without any of these things.

Phyzzle
Jan 26, 2008

Effectronica posted:

This is an extremely stupid post.

Effectronica posted:

This is an extremely stupid post.

That's as close to an apology as I've ever seen in D&D.

Phyzzle
Jan 26, 2008
There was an Interesting debate in the early analytical philosophy days over whether miracles or the supernatural are contradictory concepts.

For those talking about natural mechanisms, what would be an example of a supernatural event, as opposed to a natural but unexplained event?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phyzzle
Jan 26, 2008
Sorry about your thread OP.

• Locked thread