Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Effectronica posted:

So, to sum things up, a significant fraction of people are not able to respond accurately to my posts

You could try helping them understand, refine your rhetoric, and make sure your terms are clear, instead of shrugging your shoulders and giving up any hope and getting mad when you're misunderstood.

I don't think any philosophical theory was utterly pristine in its first draft.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Effectronica posted:

Another, better example, is plate tectonics, which was proposed in the 1910s but not adopted until the 1960s, because the means by which continental drift could occur were not discovered until that time. While plate tectonics was true, it was also outside the bounds of naturalism because there was no natural mechanism by which it could happen.

So, then, are you proposing a means presently thought of as supernatural is influencing the adaptation and evolution of lifeforms, and we only need discover the mechanism for it to become natural?

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

asdf32 posted:

I'm still not clear on what the argument is for the idea that we actually have accurate beliefs more than expected.

AFAIK She's arguing that beliefs w/r/t how the affect evolutionary fitness are/were far more accurate then what we should have for our weird ape brains and imperfect senses to be the only vectors for beliefs, especially considering how brief human communication has been around compared to the evolutionary time scale. Therefore something else must be influencing beliefs, and since ape brains and imperfect sense are the only currently natural means of sharing beliefs we have confirmed, something seemingly supernatural must be actually something that is actually natural i.e. something akin to telepathy is real life and it's how beliefs got so accurate before the development of communication tools like language and writing.

Plate Tectonics basics in 1910s : movement in the mantle discovered in 1960s :: Accuracy of beliefs as it applies to evolution : telepathy.

Once again, as far as I can gather, anyway.

• Locked thread