Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

waitwhatno posted:

Could some philosophy degree carrying goon make a quick public statement and distance themselves from this thread? I feel like this thread is a character assassination on every philosophy department in the world.

Already touched on, but this thread is not so bad, philosophically. I mean, OP is being a big jerk and not really replying to valid criticism, but many of the other posters in the thread are doing a good job of fleshing out the ideas and clarifying the issue to any readers. There have been several bullshit comments about philosophy, to be sure, but on the whole the thread is a decent example in how not to behave as the backer of a proposal, and how to methodically rebut baseless or vague claims.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Smudgie Buggler posted:

If someone said they'd pay me to come up with the quickest the way to send a room full of philosophers into frenzied outrage in 40 words of less, I'd come back with something pretty similar to those two quoted sentences.
I think the "just moving words around" /semantic games definitions earlier in the thread were probably worse for that.

Science itself is just an applied philosophy. The doing is science, but the scientific method itself is a philosophical concept, not a scientific one. (This is not intended to be read as a disagreement with anything you said, not that it should be, but you never know around here)

• Locked thread