Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Arglebargle III posted:

Let's drop the formality and get down to the basic issue: shut up, Effectronica.

Evolution doesn't operate on the same timescales as culture, thread over, shut up.

You're foolish if you don't believe human thought informs culture, and you're also foolish if you don't believe human thought has been informed by evolution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Brannock posted:

You're foolish if you don't believe human thought informs culture, and you're also foolish if you don't believe human thought has been informed by evolution.

I wanted to do a more comprehensive post on this tomorrow morning when I was more likely to be clear-thinking (and could read and consider the OP more thoroughly), but a condensed version of my overall point was going to be to associate this with existentialism, at least insofar as Camus's point that we are not inherently suicidal because {The Myth of Sisphyus.txt}. It seems to clearly follow that we are not inherently suicidal because the suicidal are not like to pass on their traits and genes, or thoughts, and that same thing would affect our current thought, and, as well, our culture. Some of us may see the utter pointlessness of living, but that does not drive us to suicide, because we've either been selected against committing suicide in general, or committing suicide as a result of our thoughts and emotional state.

So I think Effectronica is indeed missing a category, but not the one that Phyzzle suggests in their first post, but that of "Thoughts can be true but not necessarily influence behavior evolutionarily".

edit: I've realized that this is covered by Effectronica's first category and I'm not sure what to think about it.

Brannock fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Aug 16, 2015

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

that's great, but evolution doesn't work on that timescale.

you're not seeing the result of natural selection over the ~7,000 years of recorded history

this is eripsa levels of badthink

Humans have had conscious thought and communication long, long before they began recording history. Are you serious?

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Immortan posted:

What the gently caress? No, evolution does not imply the Supernatural. To say it does is Deepak Chopra levels of autism & pseudoscience.

I don't see any actual engagement with the points laid out in the OP here. You can dismiss it out of hand, but clearly this is a discussion forum and you have the free time to participate in a meaningless thread on an incredibly niche subforum on a dead comedy site in the year two thousand and fifteen, so you can probably offer it some genuine thought.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

They haven't had culture, though

What? Yes they absolutely did. Do you think "culture" just suddenly became a thing in 5000 BC? We've had rituals and social structures and behavioral mandates and priests and such for a really long time. Prehistorical humans weren't Sasquatches, they were actual humans with complex social structures. That's what we call culture!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

CommieGIR posted:

So, not only do you like making 'God of the gaps' arguments, you like pretending that said god is being purposefully deceptive by disguising his actions are natural occuring instances.

.......riiiiiighhhhhtttt....

Are you illiterate?

• Locked thread