Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thethirdman
Aug 8, 2007
Death's at the bottom of everything, Martins. Leave death to the professionals.

Blinkman987 posted:

Trip report title: "A Dreadful, Dreadful Place."

A lot of this sounds pretty typical for the mainstream tourist drags. I'm not trying to be critical of your planning- it's super hard to get off them. I've had all those same experiences!

I will say for the benefit of this thread that India can be a little different outside the places where all the tourists go. I've had amazing all you can eat thali meals for INR 5, had people welcome me to their family dinner, stayed in former palaces, cruised rivers in Kerala, attended Pro Kabaddi matches in VIP seats, and had a variety of experiences that couldn't have happened any place but India.

Off the tourist drags people don't scam you really at all- I had a mechanic refuse a 20 rupee tip right after he, without prompting, tasted my fuel to tell me my oil mix was off, then cleaned and rebuilt my carburetor. Another person in the crowd around me told me I should pay him 30 rupees, and he wouldn't keep the change from a 50 rupee note.

There's some wonder in India- it can just be hard to get it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thethirdman
Aug 8, 2007
Death's at the bottom of everything, Martins. Leave death to the professionals.

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I don't want to be too mean about this but a guy did a totally unscientific nonsense test of your car then told you he needed to do work that you didn't know you needed? You may have been more scammed than you think.

But again, 30 rupees is ~40 cents and I think that is a lot of india, the money scales are so absurdly different it sort of doesn't even matter. Maybe you needed your carburetor changed and maybe you didn't buy for 40 cents who even cares. If you were somewhere else and he was charging 500 bucks for it it'd feel like it mattered more.

It was an autorickshaw and it didn't run at all when I stopped. After he did work it ran. I'd say I got an okay deal. Also I knew it was dirty because I had been buying bootlegged fuel in Nepal the day before.

thethirdman fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Jan 23, 2016

• Locked thread