Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Geriatric Pirate
Apr 25, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I have a semi-off topic question about mumbai: is it physically possible to walk from the airport to a train station? In real life I will surely take a taxi but I have some deep paranoid fear of getting stranded when I travel and airports seem really random on if they are physically things you can walk to or if they have some terrible street layout with only non pedestrian roads. Usually I'd look on google street view to give myself peace of mind that even if I lose all my money as long as I have my plane ticket I can get home at the end but no street view for that area. I don't even strictly care if it's safe since whatever dumb mental hypothetical I'm coming up with won't happen and I won't need to do it, but I'd want to know if one can walk to it or if it's like heathrow where there simply isn't a way for pedestrians to enter.

Domestic or international terminal? It's like 1km for the domestic terminal to Vile Parle station which can get you to either Victoria or CST (forget which one exactly). Full of touts etc. and you can't trust any of these guys to give you accurate directions. Rickshaw should be really cheap though, especially outside the airport (but as always in India, haggle it down, the real price is less than $1). I took the rickshaw from Vile Parle to the airport because it was raining like hell when I was there last. Roads were not massive highways, rather quite small roads. You can walk on the side (good luck crossing the road though), as long as it's not raining.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geriatric Pirate
Apr 25, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

tekz posted:

I would recommend getting a registered cab from the airport. The prices are fixed and there's less of a chance of getting robbed/ripped off by the driver because their names, addresses and the date and time they picked you up are on file.

While actually in the city, you don't need to haggle with taxis/rickshaws, at least in Mumbai as they run on a meter. If they tell you they don't and attempt to get a fixed price from you, insist on a meter and tell them to gently caress off and find another cab if they refuse.

In any case, you might be better off hiring a driver from a tourist agency to ferry you around while in the city instead of relying on local cabs.

I had trouble getting them to run the meter. Usually meant 3-4 cabs would refuse until once accepted. It's fine, I walked and took trains everywhere, even in the rainy season.

Anyway, the guy was asking about the train even though he said he probably would take a taxi.

Geriatric Pirate
Apr 25, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I don't want to be too mean about this but a guy did a totally unscientific nonsense test of your car then told you he needed to do work that you didn't know you needed? You may have been more scammed than you think.

But again, 30 rupees is ~40 cents and I think that is a lot of india, the money scales are so absurdly different it sort of doesn't even matter. Maybe you needed your carburetor changed and maybe you didn't buy for 40 cents who even cares. If you were somewhere else and he was charging 500 bucks for it it'd feel like it mattered more.

Maybe not completely relevant for this case but the reason these guys are annoy the hell out of everyone is because "it's only $2" and "$2 is half a day's pay for 20 minutes work" are a dangerous combo.

• Locked thread