Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

Poolparty posted:

Become a Bollywood superstar. If you start practicing the dance moves now you should be ready for your trip to stardom in December.

You actually can get onto a film in Mumbai as an extra fairly easily if you're a presentable Westerner. I did it last year. They paid me 1000 rupees (about $16) with access to a buffet for a looooong day.

OP, you did well to choose Mumbai over Chennai. Bandra is a fun area to stay, north of the center.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

Blinkman987 posted:

Fun fact-- if you apply for your eVisa on the earliest day possible, that'll set your last possible date of entry to the day after you're scheduled to arrive. Sure hope your airline isn't experiencing labor strikes!

Welcomings to India!

Indian bureaucracy is a mess of a clusterfuck of a shambolic gathering of fuckfacery. I thought Indians were remarkably friendly, with the exception of Indian bureaucrats. They could make Gandhi believe in killing.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

Blinkman987 posted:

The reason I'm in Mumbai is that it works with my itinerary on getting to Cambodia. Neither Goa nor Chennai offered flights that hit the right time/cost combo. I also found a reasonable number of activities in Mumbai. I won't really mind the nuisance. I've lived in enough cities to have at least an idea of what to expect. Goa will probably be the next city I visit in India. Is the city super touristy? That's the vibe I got from it.

Mumbai is cool - my favorite place in India. Goa isn't a city, but a small state. It was Portuguese until recently, and a lot more liberal than the rest of India. It's touristy, yes. They have booze and beef and beaches there.

TheImmigrant fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Nov 30, 2015

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

Blinkman987 posted:

Has anybody used Uber there? I plan on buying a sim-- I've read that it's a bit of a pain to set up-- and running that for my visit.

Yeah, I used Uber all the time last year in Hyderabad. Most annoying part is that drivers usually call you for directions (addresses are inexact in India), and Hinglish takes getting used to.

And yes, SIM cards are a huge pain in the rear end to get. You'll need local help for that.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

tekz posted:

I would recommend getting a registered cab from the airport. The prices are fixed and there's less of a chance of getting robbed/ripped off by the driver because their names, addresses and the date and time they picked you up are on file.

While actually in the city, you don't need to haggle with taxis/rickshaws, at least in Mumbai as they run on a meter. If they tell you they don't and attempt to get a fixed price from you, insist on a meter and tell them to gently caress off and find another cab if they refuse.

In any case, you might be better off hiring a driver from a tourist agency to ferry you around while in the city instead of relying on local cabs.

Auto rickshaws are banned from Old Mumbai though. They are great for Bandra and Juhu - they actually use the meters there. In Hyderabad, I could never get them to turn it on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I feel like my india experience was largely getting swindled for amounts of money that was literally a few cents in a way that made me angry but was almost no actual financial loss.

In my memory, my India experience can be reduced to being searched by redundant security guards at the entrances to banks, my office, shopping malls, grocery stores, government offices, airports, again at airports, train stations, and my apartment complex. And getting malaria.

• Locked thread